Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
I Can't ReMember
TinkerToy is on a distinguished road

Army: 54B & L4 / 84th Chem Bn, 375th Chem Co
Name: Phergus
TinkerToy's Tacoma Gallery
Tinker Turd

So... I just bought a 98 Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab & it is a TURD! lol

It's been sitting for 3 years, most of the rubber under the hood is rotten, & apparently some squirrels were living under the hood, but hey - it has 92k on it and I paid $3000 for it running - so I can't complain.

I've changed the oil & filter, checked the brakes, replaced the tires, had it aligned, replaced the plugs, wires, pcv valve, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the maf, and replaced all vacuum lines, hoses, belts, etc.

I plan to flush the radiator, tranny, brake fluid, and replace the diff fluid as well. Just curious if there is anything I am missing AND...

Wondering what I can do to beef up the ol' 2.7L hamster wheel. I don't want to waste any time or money unnecessarily, but I wouldn't mind spending a little in the name of cool.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
92k?

Change the oil and coolant, and get out there and finish breaking it in!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty decent coverage.

Might suggest a 3 Step/Fuel System Clean. A fuel additive/A cleaner for the throttle body/a can of cleaner to be hooked to a vacuum source off the intake (thus cleaning carbon from intake, duh!)

Able to do a deckplate type mod to the airbox?

Only fluild I wouldn't mess with yet is Trans fluid. Sitting that long, that old, run it awhile and see how the tranny act before you remove all the old stuff and introduce clean/fresh addative Trans fluid. Can mess stuff up sometimes, trans gets used to the old fluid.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
I Can't ReMember

I ran some fuel system cleaner & injector cleaner through, but will likely do the 3 step after I run a tank through it. Thanks for the recommendation!

As far as deck plate mods are concerned, what should I expect in terms of expense & performance? Also, any particular brand/setup you've had good experiences with & have you actually modified 2.7L setup? Some mods work better with particular setups, just want to cover all of my bases.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
A deckplate should run you $7-10...if I remember correctly.

Did the owner have gas in the tank when you bought it? Did you drop the tank to check for rust inside the tank?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
I Can't ReMember

I've been researching deck plates & cold air intakes, but haven't purchased either yet. Any idea where I can purchased a deck plate at that price? Tank was almost empty when I bought it, do I ran some seafoam through the gas ta nk along with some super, in the vacuum lines, and through the oil, then changed the oil. Haven't dropped the tank yet, but the old fuel filter was still fairly clean. You stillthink I need to?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
I Can't ReMember

I attribute all typos to my (not so) smart phone...lol
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
So this is the craigslist buy? Saw it earlier, wondered how it went. Sounds like your on the right path though.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
You can pick up a deck plate at any marine/boating store. I thought that I remembered reading somewhere that the 2.7 airbox can only fit the smaller deck plates, but I don't remember which size is the max that would fit.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
I Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
So this is the craigslist buy? Saw it earlier, wondered how it went. Sounds like your on the right path though.
Yes sir it is. It took a little work, but it has come a long way.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
I Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlittle View Post
You can pick up a deck plate at any marine/boating store. I thought that I remembered reading somewhere that the 2.7 airbox can only fit the smaller deck plates, but I don't remember which size is the max that would fit.
I plan on installing a deck plate & swapping out the OEM airbox for an aftermarket one, so any suggestions/recommendations of brands/pricing/etc. from those currently using an aftermarket parts on a 1st gen 2.7 setup would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerToy View Post
I plan on installing a deck plate & swapping out the OEM airbox for an aftermarket one, so any suggestions/recommendations of brands/pricing/etc. from those currently using an aftermarket parts on a 1st gen 2.7 setup would be greatly appreciated.
4inchs is the max I think, why would you want aftermarket? Stock works the best.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
4inchs is the max I think, why would you want aftermarket? Stock works the best.
This ^^^^
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
I Can't ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
Because everything I've read is telling me I'll get better throttle response/acceleration & I'd like to be able to merge without turning off the A/C or heat!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerToy View Post
Because everything I've read is telling me I'll get better throttle response/acceleration & I'd like to be able to merge without turning off the A/C or heat!
Deck plate mod gives the best gains over any aftermarket set up.