1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ Clutch Problems

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by norcaldude82, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    if toyota is still using luk and aisin (not sure on the spelling of that right now) assemblies, you probably have the luk, mine was this way.. don't listen to the mine is great ppl, they can still have the issue, it just hasn't surfaced yet, mine took 30k before it went to shit, slipping when cold in 3rd and 4th. contact toyota and ask if there is a way to determine with your vin which brand of clutch is in there. it is clearly the same bullshit problem that ppl have been having for yrs. all that said my dealer replaced my clutch, then 2yrs later started slipping again, the wouldn't tell me which clutch they put in other than it's the good brand.. they were just trying to get me out. anyway ask toyota for details as to how yours is different from the other vin's, they will have nothing intelligent to respond with.

2. Oct 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    buffalojay

buffalojay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5
    Icon Stage II w/ UCAs TRD Pro wheels w/33 cooper AT-3s
    So update to my clutch problems. I took my vehicle in to get worked on because after the fix it began getting stuck when depressed to the floor. I took the truck back in so they could repair my clutch that they had initially repaired. That evening as I was driving home I put on my fog lights that I had installed a pair of Rigid Industries SR-M2, which had been working fine prior to taking my truck. Now no longer turn on. I have looked and looked to see where the connection is not coming through, however I'm unable to find it. I called the dealer and made an appointment to take it back in and see if they can fix this since, once again their fault in the first place. I'm really wondering if they will charge me for the work done on this tomorrow since these are after market lights. Have any of you had any experience in this area?

3. Oct 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    hour

hour TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    I can't assume you DIY installed these lights. If so, wouldn't it make more sense to diagnose and fix on your own, regardless of who screwed it up? I'd rather spend hours outside wrenching than a single hour in the dealership. Though it could be purely coincidental... And no, I don't see them caring about fixing your aftermarket lights, but wish you luck. It seems really odd that whatever they did to fix your clutch would have at all impacted your lights, unless the wiring was run terribly, or you were sabotaged.

4. Nov 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    I have a 2012 5-speed 4X4 4-cyl extended cab. 50k and slipping, most noticeably in 4th gear. Over 200k on my '91 and '01 and never a clutch problem. The TSB says something about up to 36k. Looks like I'm screwed.

5. Nov 7, 2014 at 3:26 AM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    Nitro has mine explained spot on. Random, sporadic slippage, 4th gear for the most part... maintaing a speed, say 50 mph pulling a slight grade and the tac goes up while the speed falls.

The issue began at just 6 k... truck is at 9 k now and still happens every so often... just not often. Warranty is out in Feb 2015, so after reading here, I figured I best schedule a repair... yeah.

I called the local dealership and they have already built a wall against it, said they never heard of that, yet the mechanic who works there, (brother in law of a co-worker), says he has replaced several. I gave him the data and TSB from here, the reply was "I can look up any TSB I want."

Ok. :confused:

So, sadly, the dealership supplied me a pre runaround and they haven't even see the truck yet. Owning 4 Tacoma trucks and over 20 years of manual transmissions without a single clutch replacement means nada.

Is the TSB-0066-11 posted here? Does anyone have the TSB in a pdf that can be shared?

I'd really like to read it... specifically that pre comment post on VIN coverage, since mine is prior the posted digits. I'll hoping to keep it PG13 when I go to the dealership, but I'm certainly not happy.

6. Nov 7, 2014 at 5:03 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  7. Nov 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    buffalojay

buffalojay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5
    Icon Stage II w/ UCAs TRD Pro wheels w/33 cooper AT-3s

I ended up fixing them myself. Since I decided I wasn't going to take it across town again to have them work on my truck. I was able to get everything worked out. Your totally right too about fixing it yourself, rather than taking it in to have them mess with it.

8. Dec 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    corycalabrese

corycalabrese Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Supercharged TRD Baja 6spd Manual
    TRD Supercharger Kit
    First let me say... I absolutely LOVE this truck so far... have had it since May this year. It's a TRD Baja D/C with the TRD Supercharger kit. The first slippage was detected Thanksgiving Day, (colder than usual, below freezing out) in 4th, 5th and 6th gears above 2500 rpm (where engine makes most horsepower) and under load/acceleration... especially up a hill. When cold, clutch also felt mushier than normal. Dropped off for service to figure out the problem... said they had to "tear it down" and I'd be responsible for the cost (nearly $1000) if it's determined to be from misuse. I explained that there'd be no way it's from misuse and that I've been driving only manual transmission vehicles in the 18+ years I've been driving... with clutches lasting me well more than 100k miles. They've been great so far... just curious to see what they'll find... again, only 3700 miles on this thing! Any others have same issue on newer ones and have any experience with Toyota being helpful or not? I REALLY hope I an not expected to come out of pocket for anything!!

9. Dec 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    The clutch problems continue. What a frustration. I had mine (as stated in an earlier post) replaced free at 5,000 miles. It now has 35,000 miles on it. As promised I wrote Toyota a letter describing my issues and those of many, many others. They responded with a polite letter registering some concern, but offering little. I called them today-finally. I explained the great number of complaints just on this website, encouraged them to go to this site and check lit out and asked that they consider some type of uniform response. "Help your frustrated customers". I was politely told they would review my letter, notes from the conversation and take it up at their weekly meeting of management and engineers to determine if pursuing some form of customer support was the thing to do. I told the person from Toyota that a uniform response was needed so everyone received some form of satisfaction. Toyota claimed they would review the case and get back to me. Umm. All we can do is wait and see what actually happens.Thanks,
    Silvert

10. Dec 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    4x4Banger

4x4Banger Gold Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ham
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB/OR 4x4
    Hey guys, I havent experienced this yet, but I was wondering if someone could link me a thread that has to do with the "clunkiness" from first to second. It pisses me off because I know I can be making that happen lol. Also is there any fix? Thanks in advance

11. Dec 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    It's just how these transmissions are. Mine has smoothed out some though after 6,000 miles. My truck seems to have more power now too.
    I have always driven manuals. My first was a Straight Six with Three on the tree.That old truck shifted like a Honda Accord compared to the Taco.
    It's the sloppiest, clunkiest tranny I've experienced. Having said that, I don't notice it anymore and I LOVE my Taco.

12. Dec 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    the clutch issue just claimed another victim, mine. 4th and 5th slip now with 44k. I did have a clutch noise documented before the 36k warranty was up so im not sure how it will pan out im waiting to hear back from a dealer and Toyota.

13. Jan 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    mmalone1st

mmalone1st Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '15 V6 Double Cab
  14. Jan 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM
    Tinybear

Tinybear Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma doublecab 4x4
    My 2012 AC 4x4 4cyl. Started slipping on me last week. Truck only has 32000kms. Conditions were -20c on a steep uphill grade and 4th gear. Was going along fine and then Rpm rose about 200-400rpm.

Very not impressed. I Have had stick shift vehicles for 15 years with some over 300000kms on stock clutches. If fact never had to replace a clutc on any my vehicles. I am a diesel mechanic for a living I know what misuses constitutes. I was hoping to take this truck cross country with my bike in the back but if it can't even run unloaded up hill I not sure what use this thing is as a bloody truck.

I have never had to go for a warranty claim on any of my past 5 FORDs. Starting to wish I kept the F150 I had previously. Only reason I replaced it was I like the smaller sized truck for daily use and off-roading. But the Ford was dead reliable got similar fuel economy and had 365hp and 420lbs/tq on tap. Toyota better step up there game not impressed at all.

I shouldn't have to buy an after market clutch to make the truck reliable. I will go to dealer on Monday but not promising as it has not happened in last few Days. As the temps are up and no really long hills local.

15. Jan 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    You may need to play with wording to get it covered by warranty. The dealer told me clutch itself has a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. I emailed Toyota earlier this week and still have not heard back.

16. Jan 5, 2015 at 4:45 AM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    My clutch started slipping today. I'm at 37K miles and it only does it around 2500rpm if I give it gas but I'm sure it will get worse. Guess I'll be replacing it in the next week or so.

17. Jan 5, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    rcsb jon

rcsb jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '17 Ridgeline RTL-T | AWD | White | Ebony
    -WeatherTech liners
    You don't think the extreme cold and all that load on the drive-train contributed to the occurrence?

18. Jan 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM
    fasttoyo

fasttoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i'm in the same boat. i've owned a dozen manual vehicles in the last 18 years and I've never experienced a clutch like this. going to rip it out at the first slip.

19. Jan 6, 2015 at 2:55 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    x I've only owned manuals for 21 years. I had a Mustang with a Stage 2 HD clutch, and a quick release quadrant and a day after I installed it I could drive it smooth as butter. This one you almost have to concentrate every shift to be smooth. I don't mind although it's annoying sometimes. Like you at the first slip I'll change it.
    I did once get to drive another member's truck(Millertime 187) same identical truck as mine except one year older and his was completely different and smooth as silk.

20. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    I have been in this bad clutch situation too. Years ago my clutch failed on a 2010 with only 5,000 miles on it. I worked with the dealer and the TSB and had it replaced. But, with all of the owners still having problems I wrote Toyota and then made a follow up call. I did not get very far. Maybe it is time to blitz their customer service people with letters and copies of letters. Even just a sentence or two....a description of your problem...something to bug them and maybe get some press. A major offensive until they have to admit the flaw and issue a recall.
    Any volunteers, any writers, and better ideas? Each of you should check out [previous posts on this issue. Thanks,
    Silvert
    Toyota person who respond to me-
    Alex Mendoza
    Toyota Customer Experience
    Toyota Motor Sales. USA
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501
    800-331-4331
    5:00am-6.00pm
    WRITE, TELL OTHERS TO WRITE, BUG THEM !!!

Products Discussed in

To Top