1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ Clutch Problems

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by norcaldude82, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:03 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    Nitro 52..write Toyota and or call the guy whose name I just posted and see it you can get support. The man is aware of the problem.
    Silvert

2. Jan 13, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Nitro52

Nitro52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    I don't expect them to do anything for me with this clutch problem. My 2001 had the rusted frame problem and they let me fall through the cracks on that one too, (This was discussed in another thread).

However, a letter is in the mail.

3. Jan 14, 2015 at 4:17 AM
    Tinybear

Tinybear Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma doublecab 4x4
    That's not extream that's a normal canadian winter day and the truck was empty. And is powered by a 2.7l 4cyl that's hardly a heavy drive train load. If the truck can't drang its ass up a hill empty then my god its a pathetic excuse for a truck. And for that matter every single other manual vehical I have owned has not had issue with this even my 1986 golf with 389,000kms on the original clutch.

Keep in mind the truck was warmed up and had be drivin for over an hour. There is absolutely NO excuse for a clutch to slip like that other than a poorly engineered clutch or extream wear. And being as this trucks like new and been treated very well it's obviously option one.

4. Jan 14, 2015 at 5:02 AM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    my 2012 is slipping also. i have 36k on this truck. i have brought 5 brand new toyota's and this is the 1st manual tranny. it really slips bad in the cold weather. hoping i can make it to spring to replace it. this is the last manual i buy from toyota. i have a prerunner and fjc, both with over 250 k on them. all i had to do is basic maintenance. both have auto tranny's.

5. Jan 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    Torgo

Torgo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 I4 Manual 4x4
    I just joined this forum so that I could contribute to this party.

I was driving home two days ago, dropped my Taco into 4th to pass someone on a hill, and whoa - it's slipping. Gee, I wonder if anyone else has this problem - well, it sure seems so. < 24,000 miles. WTH?

I've driven manual trannys for 30+ years now, and this truck is treated like a baby. Don't haul anything, other than one or two hunting trips with some minimal 4x4 a year. It don't have to do anything except look pretty.

I called Toyota this morning and got the run around, and oh yea, I'm at 37 months and even though a clutch is part of the powertrain, it's wear and tear 3/36, so go pay your dealer to tell you that it's slipping in 4th and then battle us over the TSBs, etc.

No thanks - I will just remember what a hunk of junk I purchased and let others know. I'll probably be able to live with this for a while, at least with the day-to-day driving that I do, but you got to be kidding me.

Who knows - after reading all the common misery in this tread, maybe I'll just wait out a recall. Even then, I'll still probably want an aftermarket clutch in there.

6. Jan 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    write or call and keep after it.

Toyota person who respond to me-
    Alex Mendoza
    Toyota Customer Experience
    Toyota Motor Sales. USA
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501
    800-331-4331
    5:00am-6.00pm
    WRITE, TELL OTHERS TO WRITE, BUG THEM !!!

Silvert

7. Jan 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    Torgo

Torgo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 I4 Manual 4x4
    Update on my clutch problem:

I ended up swinging by the dealership on the south side of town, explained the problem, and the service person said she could run a free diagnostic for me. So I brought it in today:

The weather is doing its usual thing down here, and it's been in the 70s for the last week, whereas it was in the 30s when the problem was occurring.
    Also, since I'm already out of the 3/36 - a clutch is a wear item after all, right? :mad: I was saving the mileage and haven't driven it since it occurred last week.
    The dealership is also in a relatively flat location, and I live in a hilly part of town.

So you can guess by now where this is going - unable to reproduce the issue on demand for them. They have to see it to start the begging with Toyota. I'm OK with the burden of proof, and I knew this was going to be intermittent (at least for now).

But - I'm now documented for what that is worth. If it gets worse from here, it's been officially reported. If we get another cold snap, I hope I can replicate it. Beat it up a little coming home this afternoon, and just engine lag like normal, no slipping.

One positive thing I'll add - got nice service from everyone at Toyota. Phone/internet/dealership

8. Jan 20, 2015 at 6:29 PM
    single cab

single cab Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single cab 4x4 mt
    I've been batttling toyota after I've had the same problem. Took it to a dealer Friday and the first person to drive it says it perfectly fine. Unhappy with this answer I made the service manager go for a ride with me and made it slip leaving the parking lot. Needless to say it's documented that the clutch is bad and faxed it over to toyota. In a email toyota sent it stated a response will be issued 1 business day after receiving the estimate. Now it's business day 2 and still no response. Toyota is considering paying for the repair.

9. Jan 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM
    Torgo

Torgo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    12 I4 Manual 4x4
    I got my chance too, but it was only slipping in 4th, probably right at the top of the torque curve, and couldn't duplicate today on flat terrain. From the other stories I've been reading, sounds like it's just a matter of time before it gets worse. I'll be ready for the grind with Toyota once it's duplicated.

Hope it works out for you. Maybe it'll get easier for the next poor guy as our experiences keep piling up.

10. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:55 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    This issue is crazy. I don't know why Toyota will not deal with this up front. My situation was much like yours. It slipped for me, but not for the dealer. So after a few more weeks I went back, asked the service writer if the mechanic could go for a ride with me for a demonstration. I drove the truck at 40/45 mph in 4th, stepped on the gas relatively hard, and it slipped like crazy. The mechanic said "wow..you were right". He drove it, made it slip and they did the entire job free and provided a loaner. Consider trying that and call the guy at Toyota that I listed in a previous post.
    Silvert aka Jeff

11. Jan 25, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    The dealership just put a new clutch, pressure plate, and bearing in my 2012. It had 37K miles. No warranty. Oh well, it's only money, right?

12. Jan 26, 2015 at 4:09 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    clutch problems-contact this guy-
    Toyota person who respond to me-
    Alex Mendoza
    Toyota Customer Experience
    Toyota Motor Sales. USA
    19001 South Western Avenue
    Torrance, CA 90501
    800-331-4331
    5:00am-6.00pm
    WRITE, TELL OTHERS TO WRITE, BUG THEM !!!

13. Jan 26, 2015 at 4:31 AM
    mgord

mgord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N, Leaf Springs, Home Built Camper
    Interesting thread.

I had my clutch replaced at 90K. Where I expected it to be replaced since I carry a camper and tow a trailer. Prior to the replace I always thought it caught high and quick. The engine wouldn't rev down immediately when I pressed on the clutch. Dealer said that is normal. I drove a manual Solara on the lot and same thing.

Funny thing is after they replaced the clutch and did the TSB for the squeaky throwout bearing it caught and performed exactly as I would expect. Catches now about 1/3 and is fully engaged by 3/4 with the engine performing as I would expect. We have a VERY GOOD dealer ship here - Bobby Rahal.

Going to hang on to my '06. Don't see a need to upgrade since I know all the issues and have worked through most of them.

14. Jan 26, 2015 at 4:35 AM
    Nitro52

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX
    I hope it's not the same type inferior parts. I'm reluctant to have Toyota do the repair. Any encouragement for me?

15. Jan 26, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    The TSB specifies what parts not to use. Hopefully the new parts are better, but there are no guarantees.

16. Jan 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    mgord

mgord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N, Leaf Springs, Home Built Camper
    I've heard good things about the TSB pars for the 05-11. Your other option is URD. So far so good on my 07 (not 06).

17. Jan 31, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    Tinybear

Tinybear Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma doublecab 4x4
    Update for mine. Made the desision to trade the truck in rather than deal with warrenty.

Due to injury to my left leg (nearly severed) a couple years back and the fact that my leg still troubles me immensely now and then. I decided I'd be better off with a Auto in at least one of my vehicals.

So traded the 2012 access cab 4cyl 4x4 for a new 2015 double cab v6 4x4 Auto. I was torn between going back to a Ford (never had issues with any of the 5 I owned in past). But in the end Toyota gave me a FAR better deal on trade and the smaller size is still preferable even though I will likely get a 1-2mpg worse than a full size Ford.

And I opted to get the 2015 now over waiting for the 2016 as I don't lke first years of all new engines and transmissions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  18. Feb 16, 2015 at 7:09 AM
    Nitro52

Member:
    ct
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR/SX

I posted the above quote on Jan. 13. Last Wednesday I received a phone call from HQ in California. A woman said it looked to her that this would fall under the 60K powertrain warrantee. My Tacoma was just a few miles shy of 57k and was slipping in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. I told her I didn't think the parts I'd need for the clutch would be included in this.

She called the service dept. of Gale Toyota of Enfield, CT and connected me with the service manager Richard Golden. He said that he'd have to take a look at the truck before making a determination so we made an appointment for the next day.

On Thursday morning I showed Richard the T-SB-0066-11 that I found in this thread. He said that this was for "clutch difficult engaging" and that this was not the same as clutch slipping. I was at a loss for words. I reminded him that this was the third pick-up I bought from them. He said he'd have to tear it down to look at it so I left it with them. They gave me a loaner.

Richard called later in the day to say that it was indeed out of warrantee and that it would cost about $850. He said the clutch spring was also bad which made the clutch catch too high. He said he would call the regional office in NJ to see if they would offer some relief, but he wanted to know if I wanted to proceed with the work before he heard back from them. He said he would cut the price by 15%. I said OK, it would have to be fixed anyway.

He called a short time later and said regional would offer me the parts at half price. OK, now I figured it would be in the $400-500 range. Richard said it would be ready Friday.

He called Friday morning to say he contacted the regional office manager again and told him this was my 3rd truck from the same dealer and he told him about my 2001 frame rust problem. Regional decided to throw in all the parts, no charge. I asked Richard if he would still offer the 15% on top of that. He said that Gale would throw in the entire labor cost as well.

I could hardly believe it. I picked it up Friday. The total itemized cost was $811 and they marked it all down as "under warrantee."

The clutch catches much lower now and everything seems fine.
    Service manager Richard Golden went to bat for me and hit a homer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  19. Feb 16, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    I have 200k on my original clutch!! Woohoo

20. Feb 17, 2015 at 3:48 AM
    Silvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Nitro. Terrific news. Way to stick with it!! All the owners with clutch problems should copy your story and take it with them to the dealer. That is a huge victory. Good job.
    Silvert

Products Discussed in

To Top