Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012+ Clutch Problems

Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #41
chroniekon is on a distinguished road
chroniekon's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 4X4 4cyl 5 speed. Clutch chatters when starting out in first. It seems to only do it when cold. It's not consistent though. I took it into the dealer at 5,000 miles and of course they couldn't get it to do it, but they did document the problem. It now has 6500 miles on it and it's getting worse, ie, more frequent and more shaking. A couple of times I thought I was going to shake the rear end out from under it. It's due for the second oil change next month, so I'm going to drop it off and leave it and they can have it until it's fixed. Until then I'll drive my 88 toyota 4X4.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #42
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started slipping in 4th last night, just short of 9000 miles. Gonna try to get it in tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #43
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Have an appointment at the dealership on Thursday. The person I talked to on the phone seemed to be aware of clutch issues. Driving to work this morning the slippage was very evident in 4th and noticable in 3rd and 5th. Guess we'll see what happens Thursday.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
GM , Ford and Chrysler have all used LUK clutches in the past as well as present in their OEM vehicles .
Seems to me there has to be a build quality issue with the clutch built from LUK for this Toyota .
LUK clutches use to be a well built product with good quality parts
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #45
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
10k service @ 8996 miles. Needs clutch. Service rep is familiar with the tsb for 05-11 and is contacting Toyota to report the prob on my 2012 and get approval to replace. Should know in the next day or two.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #46
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is 37k, 08 & 2.7 and mostly city driving. It seems to have a minor rattle in neutral or out.
I wonder if the tsb's listed earlier could still be done on mine or are they only if under the 3 yr or 36k?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #47
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
I'll throw in my .02:

Link to a thread I started about this issue for those interested:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ms-issues.html

End result I got:

I took my truck into the dealer and told them I had a slipping clutch and that there was a TSB to resolve the issue. They checked it out for about 30 mins and came back and said they would fix it under TSB 0066-11.

They replaced:

Clutch Cover Assembly
Clutch Disk Assembly
Flywheel Sub-Assembly

Replacement parts are AISIN, NOT LUK! Truck feels like new, shifts better than it did when new.

__________________________________________________ __________________

This is a real pain in the Ass! Good luck to all you '12-'13 owners out there. Stay on 'em!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
The difference is you have a 2011. You're covered by the tsb. Our 2012s arent.... yet. Its basically a matter of how convincing the dealership is when they contact Toyota for approval. Otherwise, its up to the dealership itself whether they want to cover it on their own to keep a customer.

The more the issue is brought to the attention of Toyota, and potential Toyota buyers (cause Toyota is perfect and has no reliability issues or flaws and wont do anything unless theres a serious threat to their sales), the more likely the tsb will be extended to newer trucks.

EMTD, where in WA?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #49
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
The difference is you have a 2011. You're covered by the tsb. Our 2012s arent.... yet. Its basically a matter of how convincing the dealership is when they contact Toyota for approval. Otherwise, its up to the dealership itself whether they want to cover it on their own to keep a customer.

The more the issue is brought to the attention of Toyota, and potential Toyota buyers (cause Toyota is perfect and has no reliability issues or flaws and wont do anything unless theres a serious threat to their sales), the more likely the tsb will be extended to newer trucks.

EMTD, where in WA?
Yeah I know. Just throwing the TSB # and my personal experience out there for the 2012 / 2013 guys. Agreed that this issue needs to be in their face so the TSB can be extended because Toyota is obviously NOT going to fix this issue at factory at this point.

MJR, I'm moving to Snohomish in a few weeks, Can't wait! - Living on in Marysville right now.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #50
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
just got a call from the dealership. Toyota approved replacement. have an appointment for Wednesday morning.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #51
watacomaguy is on a distinguished road
watacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a new, low mile truck with a failing clutch and the dealer won't fix it. I'd try contacting corporate Toyota then if that fails I'd see if you can file a grievance with your states attorney general.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
just got a call from the dealership. Toyota approved replacement. have an appointment for Wednesday morning.

Make sure they replace it with the AISIN clutch not LUK.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #53
Alt1150 is on a distinguished road
Alt1150's Tacoma Gallery
lost my clutch this weekend. it sucks mine is 2008 with only 30,000 miles on it . Too bad that its only a tsb and not a recall item. need to start searching the forums for a good aftermarket clutch
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #54
bombard is on a distinguished road
bombard's Tacoma Gallery
clutch slipping

I have a 2012 tacoma bought new. Clutch started slipping at 25,000. Dealership wont do anything for me. I am replacing it myself. Any suggestions for a good clutch and is there a 2012 service manual available?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #55
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombard View Post
I have a 2012 tacoma bought new. Clutch started slipping at 25,000. Dealership wont do anything for me. I am replacing it myself. Any suggestions for a good clutch and is there a 2012 service manual available?

Contact Toyota directly and try another dealer with the TSB number in hand. The number is in this thread.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Update:

Diagnosed as "clutch cover weak, allowing slippage of clutch".

Replaced throwout bearing, clutch cover and plates under warranty w/ toyota approval.

throwout bearing 31230-35071
clutch cover 31210-04083
clutch disc assembly 31250-04091

Couple hundred miles with new clutch and it's grabbier than the original ever was.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #57
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
anyone having this issue with there 2013 my clutch struggle in from first to second when the truck is cold, it make a very loud noise just won't shift very smoothly... I've been driving manual for 17 years now never burnt a clutch before but the way this one is shifting look like It will go soon, the truck only had 7500KM
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #58
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, first to second blows. Like many others, mine shifts better in to second if I ride 1st up to like 3k. I don't really like doing that though, especially if the truck hasn't warmed up. Worst manual transmission I've ever driven but I just decided to forget about it as much as possible.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #59
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hour View Post
Yeah, first to second blows. Like many others, mine shifts better in to second if I ride 1st up to like 3k. I don't really like doing that though, especially if the truck hasn't warmed up. Worst manual transmission I've ever driven but I just decided to forget about it as much as possible.
^ this. The harder you drive it, the smoother the shifts lmao. Sad but true
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #60
Tacomnut is on a distinguished road
Tacomnut's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch jumpy when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I have a 2012 4X4 4cyl 5 speed. Clutch chatters when starting out in first. It seems to only do it when cold. It's not consistent though. I took it into the dealer at 5,000 miles and of course they couldn't get it to do it, but they did document the problem. It now has 6500 miles on it and it's getting worse, ie, more frequent and more shaking. A couple of times I thought I was going to shake the rear end out from under it. It's due for the second oil change next month, so I'm going to drop it off and leave it and they can have it until it's fixed. Until then I'll drive my 88 toyota 4X4.
At last! Somebody with EXACTLY the same problem. Mine is an '08 Access 4WD 2.7l. Have to rev the crap out of it and ride the clutch to get started on cold mornings. Although this clears-up after a bit, the friction zone is wicked short. Now @ 45K miles, brought to dealer early on under warranty who "couldn't find a problem". I'm going back today with pages of print-outs from this blog and have a little chat.