Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012+ Clutch Problems

Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #101
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
So I have escalated the issue with Toyota National,

They have been very nice and have documented my concerns, giving me a new case number also.

The dealer I purchased my truck from is very close to my girlfriends house, So often I will walk the lot sometimes in the late afternoon huors as I wait for her to get home before we go exercise or whatever,

Well last week on Thursday evening I was looking at the DCSB trucks, they had two left, one lifted with BFG ATs on it the other stock but legal tint on it, I was thinking maybe I could afford one of these and just trade. But I know for now the V6 would cost me more in fuel and the payment would be higher weren't to my liking.

In the way back of the lot I spied an RC, 4x4, identical to mine, I thought it was a 2014,

Turns out it was a 2013 but with a SOLD tag in it, :-(

I returned a call that same day to Toyota about the noise,

On Friday I went out of town and missed some calls from Toyota wanting to confirm and try and set up a meeting with a higher service rep to ride with me,

Fast forward to Sunday night I was walking the lot again and couldn't believe my eyes,

The same 2013 RC 4x4 with AT was for sale, guess it was a vehicle that had a deposit on it, buyer backed out last minute, never even came and drove it, had 7 miles on it.

So I texted my sales rep and told him I would be in Tuesday morning 9am sharp to test drive it and entertain trading in my 2012,

It was a blessing, my sales rep had already been working with a co-owner of the dealer and they know about the whine in top gear from some of the Tacomas and before I could show em what I had from NADA and KBB prepared to fight for my trade in value, un-seen they offer me 2000 less than what I paid before tax, tag, fees, And the HUGE blessing is that price is more than the best numbers from NADA and KBB,

So long story short I traded for a 2013, same color, just have an AT now, and I love it, the hands free BT in the stereo is a nice touch, I got to keep my hitch, Ipod adapter, Toyota tool box and intermittent wiper switch, lol...

Now just have to call and make that tint appt!

SO I am sad I am no longer in my 2012 MT RC 4x4, but am SO thankful for the deal and the better finance rate and lower payment of my 2013 RC AT 4x4,

Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #102
mrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mrbadwrench's Tacoma Gallery
Just posting in to say my 2012's clutch started slipping at 40k. Which is way too early for a clutch fail IMO.

Is there still no TSB for the '12s?

I'll probably have to eat the cost anyways, but just curious.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #103
jtl2012tacoma is on a distinguished road
jtl2012tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
2012 4cyl clutch slipping badly at 31,750 miles

New to this site, new to being a new-truck owner. I made the jump to new-truck ownership in 2012 precisely because I don't want to worry about repairs.

So, a 2012 Tacoma, purchased new, with a slipping clutch is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Just as the weather has gotten cold, this being the beginning of the truck's 2nd winter, the clutch slips so badly that I have to down-shift into 3rd and climb hills at well below the speed limit to prevent slippage.

I had met a guy this summer who had the same truck, same year as mine, (same color even). He told me a story of his clutch slipping, how the dealer gave him the run-around (could not reproduce, etc. etc.) and finally took it to a private shop who repaired it. I mean to call him up and ask about it now. At the time, I had said 'mine's fine, no problems' !!!

Any suggestions as to how to talk to the dealer from those out there who've been through this are welcome!

Thanks in advance to the contributors to this site, and to any help users can give.

jtl2012tacoma
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #104
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
First, explain to them what you are experiencing. Second, tell them you are familiar with the problems and TSB for the earlier trucks. Tell them you believe you're experiencing the same problems. Make sure you have the TSB# in hand because they may tell you they've never heard of it. they'll tell you Toyota fixed the problem and the TSB doesn't apply to 2012s. Direct them to this thread if necessary. they have to get approval from corporate to do the repairs under warranty. Push the issue. if corporate refuses, you may be screwed. At 30k, the dealer probably won't cover the cost claiming its a wear item. If necessary, contact corporate yourself. Make it clear that you specifically bought their product so as to avoid problems like this.

Mine was approved by corporate, but it was under 9k miles when it started slipping.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #105
OK, got it. Have an appointment this Tuesday, 11/26/13 at White River Toyota in WRJ, VT. I will report what I learn.

These are the TSBs I will mention (Please suggest others I should include):

TSB 3663
TSB 0066

Has anyone out there purchased access to Toyota's Technical Information System? (https://techinfo.toyota.com) There is a $15/2-day access, which I'm considering b/c it would be helpful to read the actual text of their TSBs.

jtl2012tacoma
Old 11-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #106
WRJ VT Toyota Dealer Decided to Fix under T-SB-0066-11

I'm following up on my previous posts on this issue. My local Toyota dealer, who sold me the truck, assessed the situation and said/did the following:

1) The truck is unsafe to drive - clutch could fail and leave me stranded.
2) They will repair under T-SB-0066-11
3) The entire job, including the brand-new loaner (rental) truck will be paid-for by Toyota

At the time of visit, my 2012 2.7L 5-speed manual Tacoma had about 31,900 miles.

I have attached scans of their T-SB documentation. Of note is the updated range of years of applicability: 2005-2013. Also, the extent of the repair job is impressive - clutch disk, cover, spring, and... flywheel. I don't see a throwout bearing in that list, but I'm hopeful that they are not foolish enough to do this size job and not replace that item. In fact, I'll check with them to make sure they do, even if it's at my expense.

jtl2012tacoma
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-SB 0066 Tacoma Warranty Repair 1.pdf (241.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: pdf T-SB 0066 Tacoma Warranty Repair 2.pdf (216.6 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #107
DEZLPWR is on a distinguished road
DEZLPWR's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all, brand new to this site. Bought a used 2012 reg cab 2wd 5spd on Saturday. Truck has only 12,000 mi and is slipping, intermittently, and mainly when you romp on it in 3rd, 4th or 5th or when going up hills. Have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer. Hope I don't get the "cannot duplicate problem" BS since it is intermittent. Thanks for the info though guys and I will report back the outcome.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #108
DEZLPWR:

Mine is 4WD, extended cab, but that difference shouldn't matter WRT warranty coverage. Mine was doing exactly what yours is: I noticed the slipping clutch going up hills in 4th. As the season got colder, I noticed it slipped in 3rd. Of course I then tested it to understand the extreme cases - when would it slip? I never got it to slip in 2nd, for obvious relative torque reasons.

The language you use when you talk to the dealer may or may not be important. I did not mention TSBs up-front. I just described the problem, which was:

1) Clutch slipping in 3rd, 4th, 5th (going up hills, when accelerating hard, etc.)
2) Drivetrain judder/studder on 'taking up drive' (ie. letting clutch out under load) in 1st & 2nd gear.

T-SB-0066-11 seems to discuss my problem #2 above more closely. I do not know whether that's important, but I mention it in case it's helpful for you.

Best of luck!

jtl2012tacoma
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #109
DEZLPWR's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Thanks JTL! Took it in this morning. They made a copy of the TSB. Waiting to hear back. I just bought the truck Saturday and this is a reputable dealer. I am confident they will fix it. My salesman assured me they would, and he is not a schmuck. I told him if they don't, they can have the truck back.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #110
DEZLPWR's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Just heard back from the dealer. Good news! They will be replacing the clutch as per the TSB. TSB does not call for replacement of the pilot bearing or throw out bearing so I am paying out of pocket for them. Thanks for the info on this guys!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #111
bzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to behold
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLPWR View Post
Just heard back from the dealer. Good news! They will be replacing the clutch as per the TSB. TSB does not call for replacement of the pilot bearing or throw out bearing so I am paying out of pocket for them. Thanks for the info on this guys!
let your truck get nice and hot, run it at idle, turn on the a/c; now, do you notice any extra noise coming from under the truck? listen closely, you may notice that the release bearing does have a slight rattle to it. when toyota did my clutch i asked if they were doing the rest and they said yes to eliminate all possibly causes since they had never seen this issue before (dealer here doesn't see many 4 bangers). not long later the noise i talk about was back so the whole transmission was replaced and release bearing/pilot shaft again. no more slipping but noise is back! anyway this might be a way to save a few bucks on your end..

ask them so see the old clutch, my luk pos clutch pressure plate had warped fingers all around causing the slippage.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #112
DEZLPWR's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up the truck yesterday. Dealer replaced clutch components and flywheel per the TSB. Also a new clutch pedal spring?? I paid for the new pilot bearing and throw out bearing since the TSB does not call for these components to be replaced. So far, everything is great. No more slippage and it shifts great!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #113
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLPWR View Post
Picked up the truck yesterday. Dealer replaced clutch components and flywheel per the TSB. Also a new clutch pedal spring?? I paid for the new pilot bearing and throw out bearing since the TSB does not call for these components to be replaced. So far, everything is great. No more slippage and it shifts great!

Great news ! Congratulation hey how much did you paid? Over all
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #114
DEZLPWR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodoscott View Post
Great news ! Congratulation hey how much did you paid? Over all
$83 out of pocket for the throwout and pilot bearings.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #115
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road

sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Here a link to my clutch squeak video. Does everyone else's sound the same. Maybe I should make an appointment get the tsb done lo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REdtza87IJs
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #116
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
^Yo, I made a youtube video too and made a thread about it. They took it once for diagnostics, gave it back to me while they ordered parts (master cyl I think, and pedal assembly). Few days later I went to have parts installed, got it back and it squeaked a few days later. A few days after that it was louder than it had ever been.

I took it back one last time, a week after they replaced parts, tech diagnostic was that the new assembly was improperly greased or something, and I assume he just smeared a ton of lube on it. Hasn't squeaked since. Some others have said, and I fully agree, just DIY lube it and save yourself a ton of time waiting at dealership. It's shitty that it does it in the first place but what can you do.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #117
sacha7905 is on a distinguished road

sacha7905's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hour View Post
^Yo, I made a youtube video too and made a thread about it. They took it once for diagnostics, gave it back to me while they ordered parts (master cyl I think, and pedal assembly). Few days later I went to have parts installed, got it back and it squeaked a few days later. A few days after that it was louder than it had ever been.

I took it back one last time, a week after they replaced parts, tech diagnostic was that the new assembly was improperly greased or something, and I assume he just smeared a ton of lube on it. Hasn't squeaked since. Some others have said, and I fully agree, just DIY lube it and save yourself a ton of time waiting at dealership. It's shitty that it does it in the first place but what can you do.
What parts did you grease exactly? I've noticed that it doesn't squeak when cold. I woke up this morning ant it was 29 and no squeak. I've read on these forums that the clutches are weak also. Mine hasn't slipped yet but the engagement is horrible and vague(top 1/3 of the pedal travel) and it hates to be rushed between shifts. Nothing like the civic si I had before and that had over 100k on the stock clutch.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #118
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha7905 View Post
Here a link to my clutch squeak video. Does everyone else's sound the same. Maybe I should make an appointment get the tsb done lo.

Same here! Sound like mine
Old 12-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #119
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha7905 View Post
I thought this was normal until my passenger started laughing at me. fuck, looks like I will be taking it in.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #120
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
I thought this was normal until my passenger started laughing at me. fuck, looks like I will be taking it in.
That damn clutch pedal lever is made of plastic. Plastic?!?! Surprised the hell out of me when I found that out one day checking things out. They made the brake pedal lever out of steel, but not the clutch.