Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012+ Clutch Problems

Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #141
Jays tacoma is on a distinguished road
Jays tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mines a five speed problem with clutch chatter from the start. When it sat for two days and rained it would slip for the first 10 miles of stop and go traffic. As far as not knowing how to drive a manual i drive a comm truck for a living with over a million miles in my log book dont think the problem is driver error sorry to say
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #142
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
At 67K my clutch is functioning fine. Oh, it has had a few idiosyncrasies over almost 6 years of use. In real cold weather the TOB will chat with me, and after sitting in the rain all day it will sometimes chatter a bit on the first one or two take-offs from a dead stop. But never anything worse. Early in its life on a couple of high angle starts, while learning to take off smoothly, I could smell a bit of clutch lining, but its been at least 4 years since that has happened. If you have a Luk clutch you are more likely to have issues, in what I have determined in reading post for several years. The Aisin(?) seems to be more reliable.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #143
Silvert is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
This is crazy

This whole clutch issue is nuts! I am going to write to Toyota of America and, among other things, point out this website and all of the complaints. It is time we demand Toyota to come clean and out in the open, admit the problem, and provide a free and a GOOD fix. I will post the letter and encourage everyone to write or at least email or at the VERY least copy your posting in an email to them.
We need to demand action. Anyone agree????
Silvert
wil addresses
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #144
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvert View Post
This whole clutch issue is nuts! I am going to write to Toyota of America and, among other things, point out this website and all of the complaints. It is time we demand Toyota to come clean and out in the open, admit the problem, and provide a free and a GOOD fix. I will post the letter and encourage everyone to write or at least email or at the VERY least copy your posting in an email to them.
Silvert
wil addresses
Good luck with that
Old 03-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #145
mcflymarty is on a distinguished road
Name: Marty
mcflymarty's Tacoma Gallery
Taking my '12 in next week for its 30k service, and my last? effort at getting the clutch looked at and fixed/replaced. Have received nothing but "mechanic could not duplicate" since the 15k service. Still chatters in 1st gear when cold, first 2-3 times before warm.

I looked over some of the TSB's that were put on this thread. Kind of confused, was there ever a 5 speed manual 2012 4x4? Thought there were only 6 speed manuals with those 4x4's... but TSB 0066-11 says otherwise. If that TSB includes the 6 speed, can someone tell me if my VIN# 5TFUU4EN#CX043334 falls before the "Production Change Effective VIN" that is listed on the TSB 0066-11 revision? Not sure what part of the VIN is looked at with that...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-SB 0066 Tacoma Warranty Repair 1.pdf (241.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf T-SB 0066 Tacoma Warranty Repair 2.pdf (216.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #146
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The 5spd comes matted to the 2tr-fe (4cyl) and is an option for extended cabs as well as a mainstay in the reg cabs.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dammit View Post
The 5spd comes matted to the 2tr-fe (4cyl) and is an option for extended cabs as well as a mainstay in the reg cabs.
On 4x4?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #148
Jeffas7 is on a distinguished road

Jeffas7's Tacoma Gallery
Sub for later
Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffas7 View Post
Sub for later
??
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #150
Peanut butter mini time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflymarty View Post
On 4x4?
Yes, the 2tr comes in all 5lug base models, 2 and 4wd 6lug, reg cab and extended.
Quote:
??
Subscribed for later
Old 03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #151
Ok, thanks.
Should I assume my 2012 6 spd 4x4 access is not covered by the TSB-0066-11 then?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #152
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
I recommend Centerforce clutches <https://www.centerforce.com/> I've used them in 2 trucks and been very happy with them. When my 2009 regular cab needs a clutch I will replace it with a Centerforce.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #153
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
For what it's worth....my '12 5-speed feels great. Tight clutch, nice pedal, solid take-up point, no chatter and no TOB noise.

20k miles and counting. Seems some of us got lucky.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #154
chroniekon is on a distinguished road
chroniekon's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 5-speed 4X4 4-cyl extended cab. The clutch chatters when starting out in first gear and reverse the first few times in the morning. It started around 4,000 miles, now has 13,000. I also get the "mechanic could not duplicate" pass-off It goes in the end of the month for it's last free 6 mo/5,000 mile oil change.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #155
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, thanks.
Should I assume my 2012 6 spd 4x4 access is not covered by the TSB-0066-11 then?
The TSB is for 4 cylinder 5-spd trucks. You have a V6 6-spd
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #156
Tacomnut is on a distinguished road
Tacomnut's Tacoma Gallery
Strength in numbers?

I'm not a blog expert. Is there a way to take a poll of how many of us have the "cold start chatter" with our 4-cyl, 5-spds?

Then, these numbers could be taken to dealers, Toy Corp, or if necessary the USDOT... Do I smell yet another Toyota recall coming?

Mine acted-up so bad, I was nearly killed merging into traffic!!

Seriously - is there some way to compile our numbers?

Please advise. Thanks.

"My pitching philosophy is simple; you gotta keep the ball off the fat part of the bat." - Leroy Robert Paige
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #157
Tacomnut is on a distinguished road
Tacomnut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvert View Post
Silvert
wil addresses
You have my full support. What may I do to assist?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #158
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
clutch issues

I really intended to write and get something started, but had a setback with open heart/valve replacement surgery. I just got home yesterday. I have to believe if we "make enough noise" something will be done. Besides letters to Toyota of America there is Consumers Report and other magazines and websites. A road orally to the factory?? My clutch was fixed but now sticks like a burning smell under minor load ( a 12 ft alum. boat!).
Any help or suggestions are welcome. We could use this site to start a long, long list of owners, vin numbers, problems, etc. Soon I will post a draft of my letter to Toyota. Thanks a lot for the help!!!
Jeff/Silvert
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #159
tuco29 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roland
tuco29's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed my clutch slipping while passing a car. Only 33,500 miles on my
2012 2.7 AC. While getting an oil change at the dealership I was asked if I had any concerns. I figured I was wasting my time mentioning the clutch
after some of the posts I read here but I told the guy what happened anyway. The mechanic was able to get the clutch to slip exactly the same way I did. They scheduled me for a new clutch right then and there free of charge! The TSB has been extended for '12 and '13s.
I live in Maine and recommend Prime Toyota in Saco, Maine. They took good care of me.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #160
Silvert's Tacoma Gallery
Draft of letter to Toyota about clutch problems

Here is a first draft of a letter to Toyota about our clutch problems. It would be very helpful if you would submit your name, year of truck, problem and any resolution-or not. I would like to send the letter with a long, long list of owners with complaints to see if it helps. Thanks for your help! I will let you know what happens...if anything!
Jeff

March 30, 2014
Jeff Schlueter

Toyota of America
Tacoma Truck Division
Customer Relations Department
Marysville, Ohio

Dear Customer Relations,

I am writing on behalf of numerous Tacoma owners like myself who belong to the Tacoma World website for Tacoma owners and enthusiasts. This site is quite large and members are very much Tacoma supporters. Many of us have owned several Tacomas over time. We want to drive Tacomas, but if these problems continue we will be forced to look elsewhere. It is likely we are informally one of your trucks biggest supporters and very influential with other potential Toyota customers. However, many, many of us have had a very frustrating problem with our trucks. Some have had the problem resolved and others are going around in circles with the dealers with little or no satisfaction. The problem is the clutches on four cylinder trucks. As one example, mine started slipping badly at only 6,000 miles. Eventually the dealers mechanic reproduced the slippage and it was repaired free under aTSB. Unfortunately, it still slips once and a while and emits a horrible burning smell (30,000 miles). My story is not unusual. The Website is loaded with posts from owners with similar problems.
I know there is a service bulletin on the problem, but that is not enough to solve the problem. Might I suggest you look at the posts put in by owners, consider a clear cut letter to owners admitting the problem and offering a free repair. Faithful Tacoma owners should not have to be out there on their own fighting for a satisfactory solution. The clutch problems appear to be
generated by an inferior pressure plate made in Mexico. Surely you folks are aware of this. In an attempt to show you the shear numbers of people with these clutch problems I will include a partial list of owners so you can see the seriousness of this. Included will be the owners name, the year of the truck, and a few word description of the problems.

Sincerely,

Jeff Schlueter
SEND YOUR INFO TO ME PLEASE