Notices

2012+ Clutch Problems

Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
norcaldude82 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Bubblehead
Name: Carl
norcaldude82's Tacoma Gallery
2012+ Clutch Problems

I had my clutch go out at 10k! It was replaced by my dealer basically to save me as a customer. THERE ISN'T A TSB FOR 2012+ TACOMA CLUTCHES. Toyota "fixed" the issue of the TSB for the 2005-2011 model years, but my 2012 had the same problems. If you have clutch problems with your 2012+ 2.7L Taco please post! Also let your dealer know, the more people with problems with the crap LUK clutches may result in only AISIN clutches being used.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
kcendereurt is on a distinguished road
kcendereurt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaldude82 View Post
I had my clutch go out at 10k! It was replaced by my dealer basically to save me as a customer. THERE ISN'T A TSB FOR 2012+ TACOMA CLUTCHES. Toyota "fixed" the issue of the TSB for the 2005-2011 model years, but my 2012 had the same problems. If you have clutch problems with your 2012+ 2.7L Taco please post! Also let your dealer know, the more people with problems with the crap LUK clutches may result in only AISIN clutches being used.
Good to know! Will post if my '12 clutch goes bad. So far, 6200 miles and the only issues so far are the ones previously reported about the crappy 1st to 2nd shifting issues and lack of smoothness. I take the good with the bad though. Good post!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Did not know that a TSB existed for the 2005-2011 4 cyl tacos. What are the symptoms and what is Toyota doing for the customer?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
Did not know that a TSB existed for the 2005-2011 4 cyl tacos. What are the symptoms and what is Toyota doing for the customer?
Some clutches were made in Mexico with crappy QC, and they would wear out around 10k miles. The clutches would slip like crazy. The TSB basically replace the clutch if it is slipping. But only for 2005-2011 models. Some 2012 models may have recieved clutches from a bad stock as well, like mine, and experience the same problems. ONLY TOYOTA WILL NOT DO A THING FOR YOU. You must coerce your dealership to replace it at a loss because there isn't a TSB for 2012. I personally talked to a Toyota big-wig and he basically said the clutch is a wear item, and he couldn't do anything for me. The dealer did because I dropped a lot if money there during the years. PRESSURE YOUR DEALERSHIP IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK NEW. If you bought the truck used I think you may be up the creek, sorry.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaldude82 View Post
Some clutches were made in Mexico with crappy QC, and they would wear out around 10k miles. The clutches would slip like crazy. The TSB basically replace the clutch if it is slipping. But only for 2005-2011 models. Some 2012 models may have recieved clutches from a bad stock as well, like mine, and experience the same problems. ONLY TOYOTA WILL NOT DO A THING FOR YOU. You must coerce your dealership to replace it at a loss because there isn't a TSB for 2012. I personally talked to a Toyota big-wig and he basically said the clutch is a wear item, and he couldn't do anything for me. The dealer did because I dropped a lot if money there during the years. PRESSURE YOUR DEALERSHIP IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK NEW. If you bought the truck used I think you may be up the creek, sorry.
Thanks for the info. Have only had a problem with my clutch after it sits out in the rain, parked slightly uphill. It seems that water is getting into the housing. It slips for just an instant, and only lasts for 1 or 2 starts from a dead stop. Thought it might be something to fix my issue. I am at 60K miles and doubt if I have the clutch with the QC problem. Again thanks for the info.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
ADCarter1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Denise
ADCarter1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at 16,110 miles, bought my '12 new in June. No problems with the clutch. No problems at all, really. Just some minor design flaws that bother me.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Can you look up by vin what clutch you have .
Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Can you look up by vin what clutch you have .
Unfortunately, no.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Banned
horseshoe1 is on a distinguished road
horseshoe1's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 10,000 miles on my 2012 v6, no problems with the clutch thus far.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Comptroller
Icewatersteam is on a distinguished road

Army: Convoy gunner, OIF III
Icewatersteam's Tacoma Gallery
11k+ on my '12 4 banger. No trouble thus far.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
slipperytaco58 is on a distinguished road
slipperytaco58's Tacoma Gallery
im at 19,000 and noticed it slipping going up a hill at 50mph in 5th. I'M PISSED!!! Im going by the dealer next week.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperytaco58 View Post
im at 19,000 and noticed it slipping going up a hill at 50mph in 5th. I'M PISSED!!! Im going by the dealer next week.
Did you buy your truck from Toyota of North Charleston? If so talk to the service manager, Mr. Cortis, and explain your situation and he may help you out. He's who hooked me up.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
buffalojay is on a distinguished road

buffalojay's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't know about this problem clutch. Glad to hear about it, however I haven't had an issue with mine except for the lack of smoothness w/ 1st and 2nd gear. Which is pretty common with most of the people I've talked to.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
1tacoman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
1tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to 1tacoman Send a message via Skype™ to 1tacoman
Taco clutch issues

They surely dont make them like they use to. I have a 2000 Tacoma 4 wheel drive with 2.7L. I bought the truck new and got just a little over 300,000 miles off the factory clutch,I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

^Yea, must not make em like they used to. I don't get it that with a lot of automobile manufacturers. I know there are improvements in technology and machining processes - these should have us continually moving toward more reliable, comfortable, and cost efficient parts. It seems like this isn't happening. Yeah, it's understandable if you roll something new out and have problems.. but don't keep the same crap year after year, reflect on older components or designs that may have been less problematic?

Anywayyy... I have noticed since purchase the following(new, 1mile on clock): 1) When clutch is pushed 100% to the floor and I'm coasting, say at 15 miles per hour, waiting to see what traffic will do ahead or whatever the scenario may be, I wear a whurring/whining transmissiony noise from the rear of the truck. Ever heard a honda in reverse (they all sound like 'this'), it's identical to that but it decreases in intensity as the speed comes down. It's also not as loud as hondas in reverse.

It's weird that it should do that, since the rpms are at idle, the clutch is mashed to the floor, I'm used to silence in my 4 other manual vehicles of several makes when clutch is pushed. Someone suggested it could be throw out bearing, even though a lot of my searches suggested to me that those usually get quiet when the clutch as pushed. Some knowledgeable fellow on here said it could also happen when pushed though.

Set up appointment, earliest they can get me in is the 9th. I'm lifting the truck Saturday so I told her a) I've reported this problem since new to the other dealership, where I bought it, b) first to second is miserable, also noted since new, and c) take note that the truck is NOT lifted right now and will not be the culprit once they finally look at it. She seemed cool - they're a good local Toyota dealership that has helped me out in the past when 'other' dealership where I purchased it at put 5qts of 5w30 in my truck on the first oil change

I'll drive it for technician, then offer him to drive it and a) see if he can do any better with first to second, and b) if he can do anything to avoid the noise I hear. Will report back with results!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes I wish I would have opted for the auto. There are more times I'm glad I've got a manual than not so i'm still happy with my decision but this transmission is not the smoothest or seemingly bulletproof as I had hoped, this thread and others is proof I guess. I'll comment back as i get more miles on mine. I'm a 2012 DCSB V6 6speed with 9k on the odometer and I'm still adjusting to meshing my shifts so it feels smooth every shift... Throttle cables for the win, I wish my taco had one

I bid Y'all smooth shifting and happy trails!

~M
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
6 Spd is different
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
cdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdthiker is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
cdthiker's Tacoma Gallery
About to hit 14 k on my 2012 2.7 five speed reg cab.....
this is slightly troublesome .... it seems to be doing ok so far...
I think that as a community we need to stay on top of this... if enough of us go to dealerships and throw a fit.... it might get changed.... of course at this point if they do nothing for me if mine goes out then I would do some sort of aftermarket.... who knows I am a newbie here and this is my first yota
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2007 2.7L and on the test drive I was in 4th going up a hill, when I noticed the rpm increasing without the speed. I'm no idiot and looked at the dealer and said I think the clutch is slipping? He assured me they would check it out. I said okay then. And I got a response of "thats just the way they are." The slipping was not terrible but I was pretty sure it was. It was a good deal so I did it anyhow, but this morning I could have sworn it was slipping again 4th gear uphill. I am going to go find a steep hill after work and test out the gears. After reading the forums I am going to look into this. Damn dealers! they are all liars.

Anyone recommend the best performance replacement clutch for daily driving in a 2007?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #20
BCTSR5 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
BCTSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I hate reading so I will post what I know and hopefully someone else hasn't.

There are tsb's related to clutch system part replacement in Canada
USA is probably different
I just performed the later of the 2 and it cleaned up clutch performance that much more.

TSB3663
Manual transmission rattle noise in neutral - this is for 2005-12
Replaces friction disk and for certain vin codes, the pressure plate, updated parts
And make sure to machine your flywheel and purchase a new release bearing

TSB3890
Clutch pedal squeak/creak noise - this is for 2005-12
Replaces clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal, updated parts

There is one more, but I haven't experienced this issue with any tacomas
I have driven.

TSB3753
Clutch pedal slow to return - this is for 2005-12
Replaces clutch release cylinder, updated part

If you feel a studder off the line or get a rattle in neutral, have TSB3663
performed.