Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

30k Maintenance requirements?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
30k Maintenance requirements?

I'm coming up to 30k on my truck and after reading the forums I was a little confused as to what fluids I need to change. I have a 2010 4 cyl manual prerunner.
Looking at the book it looks like the only things I need to do is the standard oil / air filter change, is this correct? Do I ever have to change out any other fluids? The only variation from this that I can see that applies to my truck is at 120k I need to change out the spark plugs.

Just want to make sure there is not anything else I should do to maintain the truck.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
front dif rear dif trans transfer case oil only if u want to i have some trucks in my fleet with 300k never been done
Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Im 2wd. I don't think I have a front diff/transfer case.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, you sure don't. Do the rear diff and cabin filter, spark plugs, aaaand I think that's the biggies.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Captain

How often should I replace the rear diff oil, I don't see it in the book. Is there some type of synthetic I can replace it with and then forget about it for awhile?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
How often should I replace the rear diff oil, I don't see it in the book. Is there some type of synthetic I can replace it with and then forget about it for awhile?
My 2010 maintenance guide (page 41) shows "replace rear differential oil ( prerunner & 4WD vehicles with optional limited slip differential only)." This is following the normal use schedule.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Maintenance requirements and intervals are listed in your warranty and maintenance guide that came with your truck when you bought it, fellas.

Here's a copy incase you can't find yours...

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...oma_WMG_lr.pdf

30,000 miles

Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace rear differential oil (Prerunner and 4WD vehicles with optional limited slip differential only)
Replace spark plugs (1GR-FE engine only)
Rotate tires

Check the following
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Rear differential oil (except Prerunner and
4WD vehicles with optional limited slip differential only)
Steering gear box Steering linkage and boots
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator and condenser
Drive shaft boots (4WD)
Engine coolant
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil (4WD)
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band
Transfer case oil (4WD)
and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing:
Replace front differential oil (4WD)
Replace manual transmission oil
Replace rear differential oil
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Maintenance requirements and intervals are listed in your warranty and maintenance guide that came with your truck when you bought it, fellas.

Here's a copy incase you can't find yours...

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...oma_WMG_lr.pdf

30,000 miles

Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace rear differential oil (Prerunner and 4WD vehicles with optional limited slip differential only) <-- not an option in 2010
Replace spark plugs (1GR-FE engine only)
Rotate tires

Check the following
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Rear differential oil (except Prerunner and
4WD vehicles with optional limited slip differential only)
Steering gear box Steering linkage and boots
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator and condenser
Drive shaft boots (4WD)
Engine coolant
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil (4WD)
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band
Transfer case oil (4WD)
and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing:
Replace front differential oil (4WD)
Replace manual transmission oil
Replace rear differential oil
So I guess I only have to do the stuff in bold. Just cant believe its that simple. Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
SouthernTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
SouthernTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 Prerunner with Limited Slip Differential.

As part of maintaining my warranty I had to have the rear diff oil changed at 30,000.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTaco View Post
I have a 2010 Prerunner with Limited Slip Differential.

As part of maintaining my warranty I had to have the rear diff oil changed at 30,000.
Who told you that?? You don't have a mechanical limited slip differential unless you swapped it in yourself. You have an open differential and the manual never says when to change it, just says inspect. I held out until 40k miles with my differentials and transfer case fluids.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
SouthernTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
SouthernTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga - The stealership told me I had to.

First they told me I had a mechanical limited slip differential. I said it was an auto, then they agreed. Still said the fluid change and flush was required to maintain original factory warranty.

It cost me $154.12.