Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Poor fuel economy

Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
Depending on the price of the new truck and diesel it will not be worth it. I work for Dodge I've seen tons of people trade in for a diesel just for fuel mileage. If you need a diesel then go for it. Let me know if you need any parts.

Oh and what Ram gets 25mpg. The 5.9L 2wd were lucky to be getting around 20 21. The 6.7L pssst. Keep in mind too if your buying new that our diesels take around 60-100k to break in to be getting better gas mileage too.
I think you have some good points. I was just messing, hoping to rile up some taco loyalist. Im a toy owner for life
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacowagon View Post
Since buying my truck a month ago, I was thinking the same thing. I've only ran a few tanks through the truck and average about 16mpg. I thought it was the truck, but after reading this thread, I'm glad I'm not the only one. We're getting closer to spring....

specs: 11 4wd sr5, 2.7L, 20k miles, afe pro dry drop in filter, secondary filter mod, and stock tires.
Hang in there. Things should improve. I bought mine last spring. The first month or so my gas mileage was not impressive, tho a bit better than what you mention. As I got accustomed to the truck (or vice versa?) the mileage improved significantly.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Right there with ya. Was averaging ~21mpg til November. Now I'm barely averaging 16. Pretty disappointing. My dad's FJ hasn't been effected a bit by the winter blend, getting much better mileage than my 2.7 Tacoma. Kinda regret not getting a V6 if this is what I have to look forward to. Hell, even my '91 S15 Jimmy 4dr, 4.3, 4x4 averaged 22mpg- no change summer to winter.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
tacowagon is on a distinguished road

tacowagon's Tacoma Gallery
finally hit 21 mpg on a pretty long road trip. about 140 miles each way. not sure if oregon has a summer blend, but I hope to get better mileage once it starts to warm up.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDtres View Post
I feel your pain. My v6 tacoma was averaging 18-19 last spring when i bought it new. The last few tank have been 14-15. IMO This is horrible, so much so that im thinking about selling it to buy a dodge diesel with 25mpg. This makes me sad
Don't sell your rig for a diesel pickup just for the better fuel range! I did and I am regretting getting rid of Tacoma every day since then. The added cost of fuel and maintenance for a diesel truck will quickly out-way the pros of add mileage.

Just my two cents.