LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Poor fuel economy

Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
Poor fuel economy

My 2011 tacoma with the 2.7L has had a pretty drastic drop in fuel economy lately. I know in the winter its common to have somewhat of a drop due to colder weather. But my fuel economy has gone from about 21 mpg to almost 17 mpg average. nearly 5 miles per gallon. That seems like a bit much and has me wondering if i have something wrong with my truck. Anybodey else notice this or have any problems like this?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine went from 18-19 down to 14-15 lately. Its all about the winter gas and cold weather leading to long warm-ups
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Mine went from 18-19 down to 14-15 lately. Its all about the winter gas and cold weather leading to long warm-ups
well thats reassuring at least. definatley noticed that it has the longer warm ups, ideling higher for longer.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if the colder, more dense air is also dragging the mpg's down (more friction), in addition to the longer warm-up times.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
texascolt45 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
i got 265/75-15's with a level kit.i'm 19 no matter what
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
I feel your pain. My v6 tacoma was averaging 18-19 last spring when i bought it new. The last few tank have been 14-15. IMO This is horrible, so much so that im thinking about selling it to buy a dodge diesel with 25mpg. This makes me sad
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Makes me want to sell my truck too. but im hoping my fuel economy bounces back when spring rolls around
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Cooler air and winter blend fuel eats into mpg
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Wonder if the colder, more dense air is also dragging the mpg's down (more friction), in addition to the longer warm-up times.
Colder air is more densely packed with oxygen molecules, and since the engine draws a fixed volume of air, there is more oxygen available for burning when its colder. The A/F ratio needs to be maintained for a proper burn to take place, so the ECU raises the amount of fuel injected into the mixture in order to compensate for the extra oxygen in colder air. This produces a bigger bang, but at the cost of efficiency.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Colder air is more densely packed with oxygen molecules, and since the engine draws a fixed volume of air, there is more oxygen available for burning when its colder. The A/F ratio needs to be maintained for a proper burn to take place, so the ECU raises the amount of fuel injected into the mixture in order to compensate for the extra oxygen in colder air. This produces a bigger bang, but at the cost of efficiency.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Sorry for the double post, dont know what happened there . . .
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
phsycle is on a distinguished road
phsycle's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to what has been said, most states run at least 10% ethanol in winter, which in my experience caused about a 10% drop in MPG. Another small factor is that dense air is harder to push through, causing even more drop in MPG (albeit not that much). This is like going from Aspen CO (5k ft) to New Orleans (at or below sea level). More power, but worse MPG.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Lone Star Club
whahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud ofwhahahajr has much to be proud of

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDtres View Post
I feel your pain. My v6 tacoma was averaging 18-19 last spring when i bought it new. The last few tank have been 14-15. IMO This is horrible, so much so that im thinking about selling it to buy a dodge diesel with 25mpg. This makes me sad
Depending on the price of the new truck and diesel it will not be worth it. I work for Dodge I've seen tons of people trade in for a diesel just for fuel mileage. If you need a diesel then go for it. Let me know if you need any parts.

Oh and what Ram gets 25mpg. The 5.9L 2wd were lucky to be getting around 20 21. The 6.7L pssst. Keep in mind too if your buying new that our diesels take around 60-100k to break in to be getting better gas mileage too.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Check your brakes for signs they are dragging, lube your driveshaft, make sure your tires are properly inflated, and make sure your trans, engine, diff, xfer-case fluids are all up to date. Make sure there is no water in the diffs as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Check air filter, and run through some Seafoam too.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Back in October I was getting close to 25mpg but my latest tank was barely over 21. *Nothing* has changed except the weather and the fuel blend.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
My 2011 tacoma with the 2.7L has had a pretty drastic drop in fuel economy lately. I know in the winter its common to have somewhat of a drop due to colder weather. But my fuel economy has gone from about 21 mpg to almost 17 mpg average. nearly 5 miles per gallon. That seems like a bit much and has me wondering if i have something wrong with my truck. Anybodey else notice this or have any problems like this?
colder weather, longer idles, and winter gas. Mine has also
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
I've gone from 20-21 on every tank with boring consistency to between 16 and 20. My wife was driving it a lot during the crazy snow we had (her focus couldn't get out of the driveway for a while) and I blame her

For me though, I think it is what everyone has said: longer idle times, takes longer to warm up, maybe more time in 4wd with snow/ice, winter blend gas, etc. I also just switched from 245/75r16 tires to 265/75s so it is hard for me to pinpoint a culprit. However, since taking back my truck full time from the wife and watching the fuel gauge, I think I will be back up to 20 mpg this tank..
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
tacowagon is on a distinguished road

tacowagon's Tacoma Gallery
Since buying my truck a month ago, I was thinking the same thing. I've only ran a few tanks through the truck and average about 16mpg. I thought it was the truck, but after reading this thread, I'm glad I'm not the only one. We're getting closer to spring....

specs: 11 4wd sr5, 2.7L, 20k miles, afe pro dry drop in filter, secondary filter mod, and stock tires.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a 4.0L but I went from 21mpg to 19.5mpg ....

Products Discussed in this Thread