Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What would happen???

Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You want to shift at peak HP.
Going too high on the power curve is as bad as going too low, it's just easier to recover.

My motorcycle's rev limiter is at 5500, but if I shift above 5200, there is a VERY noticeable loss of pull before the limiter hits.

If you hit the limiter, you've already lost the race if the other guy knows how to drive.
And, just because I used to race high power muscle cars on big tracks, I have to say this...

Not exactly. Many times, it's a better idea to shift higher than your peak HP RPM because the next gear will fall right into the power band, giving you an advantage in the next gear up. That all depends, however, on how badly your HP/TQ drops off after the peak. If it's not too bad a cliff, I'd keep going and then shift throwing you right into the powerband on the next gear.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
I was tryin 1/4 mile times the other day and discovered all this. I also have a ~ 17sec 1/4 mile time lol.
About what an 81 Z28 would do off the showroom floor.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I was at 4000-5500 in 3rd gear for most of the first 5 minutes of this video . 40-65mph .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j3tU...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
And, just because I used to race high power muscle cars on big tracks, I have to say this...

Not exactly. Many times, it's a better idea to shift higher than your peak HP RPM because the next gear will fall right into the power band, giving you an advantage in the next gear up. That all depends, however, on how badly your HP/TQ drops off after the peak. If it's not too bad a cliff, I'd keep going and then shift throwing you right into the powerband on the next gear.
It does depend on your gearing.
On my Vulcan, the low end is pretty strong so it's no killer if I shift 500 before peak.

My dirtbike is a WR250F, and the wide-ratio trans does make for some interesting gear choices when the trail gets tight.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I used to rev my AE86 to 8k at least weekly, made that 100hp seem fast

You'll be fine.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ran my 2.7 on the limiter often. Many times, even when supercharged, I floor boarded the throttle, and let it go! Never had an issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
You can feel the power roll off above 4800rpm, IMO; not much point in exceeding that in most situations. I have hit the rev limiter a few times in times of overexuberance, though; glad it was there.

I don't normally take mine over 5000 rpm. I do shift from 1st to 2nd at around 4800, when I'm trying to get up to speed; these trucks are not fast by any means. They don't really accelerate; they just gather speed.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
Poodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud of
Poodle Head Mikey's Tacoma Gallery
Well; it's not like the End Of The World comes

The "redline" is what exactly? The maximum SAFE engine speed. So you could keep the engine running 100 RPM below the redline all day long and be fine.

Stop worrying. You could probably run the engine at 150% of the redline for a good long while and nothing but maybe a higher wear rate would happen.

I used to run small block Chevy and air cooled VW engines at 150% of the redline routinely and nothing bad ever happened. These Toyota engines aren't delicate little babies - they are tough, hell-for-stout Machines.

Yes; I would normally try to avoid exceeding the redline - but if I did go over; nothing bad would happen for a good long while. The redline is not some magical threshold - it's more of a suggestion.

PHM
------

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4wd View Post
What would happen If I worked up the nerve to take my lil 4 banger past 4500 rpm??? Would it go back to the future? Would it blow up?(never) or would it just sound really cool when that vvti kicks in? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW!