LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

What would happen???

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
toyota4wd is on a distinguished road
toyota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
What would happen???

What would happen If I worked up the nerve to take my lil 4 banger past 4500 rpm??? Would it go back to the future? Would it blow up?(never) or would it just sound really cool when that vvti kicks in? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't redline at 5500?

Nothing bad will happen. The ignition system has a rev limiter that will hold RPM.
Biggest concern is accidentally downshifting at too high of a speed... rev limiter can't protect against that.

Back in the 90s when electronic controls were phased into automatic transmissions, I was told by a Ford service manager that the TCU would not allow the trans to engage if it would result in an overrev... not sure that I'd trust that.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
toyota4wd is on a distinguished road
toyota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Isn't redline at 5500?

Nothing bad will happen. The ignition system has a rev limiter that will hold RPM.
Biggest concern is accidentally downshifting at too high of a speed... rev limiter can't protect against that.

Back in the 90s when electronic controls were phased into automatic transmissions, I was told by a Ford service manager that the TCU would not allow the trans to engage if it would result in an overrev... not sure that I'd trust that.
The red line on mine is 6000 but I think that it would be screaming at that. I've only had it up to 4500 and that was only stationary revving it. I shift at around 3500
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4wd View Post
The red line on mine is 6000 but I think that it would be screaming at that. I've only had it up to 4500 and that was only stationary revving it. I shift at around 3500
Red line and rev limiter are 2 diff things.
Red line is the spot on your RPM gauge where you start running your engine at the highest rpm's its rated for and can handle
While rev limiter is where the programming wont allow your truck to actually go far into the red line even if you try.

When racing, i shift mine at the rev limiter in all gears.

Nothing bad happens, the rev limiter pretty much prevents you from blowing up your motor.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing. I rarely hit mine but do from time to time. 5500 froma 4 banger? Pretty sure they were conservative anyway.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrstout View Post
Nothing. I rarely hit mine but do from time to time. 5500 froma 4 banger? Pretty sure they were conservative anyway.
Yes I agree the 5500 redline is probably conservative, as Toyota is with many other things (e.g. speedo error) although this is a large 4-cylinder. Anyway, I drive my truck gently 99% of the time, and since there's a brief, steep uphill climb in my weekly routine, it's a great excuse to "clear out the carbon" by completely flooring it every week in my 4cyl automatic until it decides to shift, usually around 5000-5500 RPM. I've been doing this for years, no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
When racing, i shift mine at the rev limiter in all gears.

Nothing bad happens, the rev limiter pretty much prevents you from blowing up your motor.
Ah, to be 18 again.

Hitting the rev limiter ain't good for any vehicle. Would recommend not to do it. Get a civic if you want an engine that likes high rpm's.

You can definately blow your motor if at the limiter. If it is only once for a split second, chances are not too much damage will be done.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing will happen if you do it for short spurts, but I would not recommend it. Why take chances ruining your engine.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you want to rev it, it's actually better to rev it while driving it and having some load on the engine than just free revving it. Free revving will cause rapid accelleration and decelleration which puts more tension on all the parts than gradual controlled tension while driving.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea i only rev it high when driving. Prolly run it WOT once every other week and only for short periods.

I work at a high performance car shop that owns a drag strip, i practically have to drive it like that
Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrstout View Post
It's not the typical 4 cylinder like you'd find in a passenger car, it's designed for torque not horsepower. Compare the piston diameter and stroke to other 4 cylinders you'll see what I mean.

5500 rpm redline on this engine is as conservative as 6500 rpm redline on my wife's Honda.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
I redline my truck about 2 or 3 times a week, and it hasnt blown up yet. its a 4cyl they like to be reved. When im driving on the highway up to school i put cruse control on at 75 mph and the rpm's are 3,250+ for hours and ive had no problems with it
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I redline my little 3rz probably weekly, when trying to merge into freeway traffic on uphill onramps. Only hit rev limiter a couple times but thats rare, usually when snow wheeling.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Yea i only rev it high when driving. Prolly run it WOT once every other week and only for short periods.

I work at a high performance car shop that owns a drag strip, i practically have to drive it like that
You want to shift at peak HP.
Going too high on the power curve is as bad as going too low, it's just easier to recover.

My motorcycle's rev limiter is at 5500, but if I shift above 5200, there is a VERY noticeable loss of pull before the limiter hits.

If you hit the limiter, you've already lost the race if the other guy knows how to drive.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
DerpWerx Fab

Meh. Our 4cyl powerbands is loke 3,000-5,300. So i just shift around there.

Problem with tht is, the clutch will slip like crazy if you try speed shifting from 1st at 5k. Itll shift to 2nd but clutch will just burn till you let off and it usually catches around 2,500.

I was tryin 1/4 mile times the other day and discovered all this. I also have a ~ 17sec 1/4 mile time lol.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
DerpWerx Fab

I try to shift right before the limiter cause the limiter will hit and make you slow down like crazy. Trick is to catch it right before it hits.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What would happen If I worked up the nerve to take my lil 4 banger past 4500 rpm??? Would it go back to the future? Would it blow up?(never) or would it just sound really cool when that vvti kicks in? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW!
I rev mine from 4k- 5k a lot . I smacked rev limiter last weekend about 6 times . Truck feels great at 4-5k rpm.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
DerpWerx Fab

Yea cause thats the peak of our powerband