1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 4-cyl PreRunner Compressor Issues

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by pwcosol, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    pwcosol

pwcosol [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 PreRunner
    I have a 2003 2.7L PreRunner w/118K. Last month I was driving thru a snow storm and after clearing it, felt the truck "lug" and heard a high-pitched whining coming from the engine compartment. I turned off the defrost switch and things returned to normal. Subsequently I discovered if either the a/c or defrost switches are activated, the problem returns, which I believe indicates the compressor has gone south.

Toyota wants $1,750.00 to repair this (which ain't gonna' happen). I only use his vehicle for longer hauls, and could care less about the a/c, but I do need the defrost to work. A friend thought I could bypass the compressor but still get defrost by unplugging the lead to the compressor. If this is true, then I can live with that. I also wondered what system would have been used for defrost had there been no a/c unit installed. If an alternate system can be substituted at a lesser price, I have no problem in gutting the a/c altogether. Otherwise, the PreRunner may be going on the market. Any recommendations or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The defrost system still requires the compressor to operate. The AC evaporator is used to remove the humidity from the air before the heater core heats up this dry air and then blows it onto your windshield.

Without the compressor, you would be blowing warm, humid air onto your windshield, thus fogging it up more.

Those vehicles that came without air, don't have a defrost setting.

3. Jan 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Older vehicles did not use the A/C compressor during the defrost, so it might still work, just not as well. Just be sure to have the air setting to fresh, not recycle.

If you don't care about the A/C working, then either disconnect that lead going to the compressor (or just remove the A/C belt). Then try the defrost.
    If you are happy with the way it works, then you are good to go.

4. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    pwcosol

pwcosol [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2003 PreRunner
    Thanks guys for your input. So, it seems w/o the assistance of the a/c compressor, my heating system remains pretty much the same as if there were no "defrost" feature at all (like my 1991 4x2 Toy extra-cab). Will leave the lead to the a/c comp. disconnected & capped. Since the serpentine belt just free-wheels when the a/c unit is not used, and I would have to get another, shorter belt to circumvent it altogether, will let it be for now. However, I would like to search the Net to find out if a remanufactured compressor can be had for a better deal than the $1,250.00 quote from the local dealer. I see there is a Forum link to "shopping online", so perhaps I can start the search there...

5. Jan 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    So your 2.7 has a serpentine belt? Didn't know that.
    That change must have occurred in 2001, I would guess.
    I have separate belts on my 99.

I can't imagine living without A/C in Arizona. If you have any good picknpull yards in your area, you might be able to find one on a Tacoma for less than $50. If you are real lucky the wreck may have had the compressor replaced in the last few years.

Products Discussed in

To Top