Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2013 2.7 what did they change engine wise?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

Name: Kyle
TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
2013 2.7 what did they change engine wise?

I have a 2013 2.7 and i have this weird tick wich sounds like an exhaust leak, but it only happens at idle when the truck is warmed up at or close to operating temp(very seldom i hear it wile accelerating). I am wondering about what they changed from 2010 to 2013.. i know they put in the air pump for emmisions but what else if anything. I had a 2010 with 35k and it didnt make this noise ever, i can hear it inside the cab at stoplights and what not. Mabey its the injectors? but it don't do it all the time and my 2010 was not nearly as loud. Anyone with a 2012 or 13 have this issue?

Here's a video
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...C417931F52.mp4

S
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 RC ticks at idle especially when cold, always attributed it to the injectors. And BTW, the air pump isnt a new feature, it has always been included with the 2TR engine.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Shooting Bull is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Mike
Shooting Bull's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 with a 2.7, no tick.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
SocoandLime is on a distinguished road

SocoandLime's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Manual with 6500 miles. Never had a tick
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Don't hear a tick in either of my 2.7's . A knock sometimes . Even this year backfires are way down .
Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Sounds normal for the toyota motors. I don't hear a tick, just the air being moved around by the belts.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't really sound normal, but if it's new why not try and have the dealer look into it. One thing that can make noise on the V-6 is a air switching valve that bolts to the intake with one bolt on the drivers side of the engine. Probably not your issue but was the source of my ticking on my truck, just removed the bolt and let it hang by the rubber hose.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 2.7 and it sounds exactly like yours. It ticks quietly and you can only hear it with the hood open. I don't think that it did that new though...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #14
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
I can hear mine in the cab though maby they forgot to sound proof or something just seems to be louder than my 2010 2.7 I just hope I didn't get a dud
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mattnatti's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, my 12' doesn't sound like that. At least not yet. I have almost 13k on the clock.
How many miles on yours?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a chance to listen to your video, it sounds like mine but maybe a little louder. Though it's hard to tell if it's louder because the mic is right next to the engine.

Mine is much louder in the winter than the summer. Whenever I get in close it really sounds like the injectors and the EVAP purge valve. I always hypothesized that it's because the injectors are working harder to deliver more fuel due to the cold air.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #18

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
You may be right man I just got this truck few weeks ago and it never seen warm weather yet, maby I just never noticed it on my last truck cause the trans was so much more clumky and loud than the engine , I mean it doesn't sound like metal or valves so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Maby it will be quieter in the summer, about to do the first oil change at like 2000 miles for the hell of it. I will see if that's makes any difference from outside the truck it sounds like a tick from inside a slight exhaust leak but it only happens when the truck is warm and at idle, so like if I come to a stop light i don't hear it for like 5 seconds after I stop the it starts, so maby it's the injectors or something working harder... Idk
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #19
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Mine sounds exactly the same as yours. I'm sure it's normal. I even have the same vertical "mark" on the oil filler neck & cap.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #20

TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
I parked next to a co workers 2010 2.7 this mornin and mine is def louder Maby they put diff injectors in that are louder or something not really sure I know these engines are bulletproof as a guy on here has over 400k on his 05 2.7.