1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yes, Another Manual Tansmission Question!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by guitarjamman, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jan 31, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    They do not in most cases with a 2.7L 4x4. Your RPM gauge is not a fuel use gauge. If you are moving down a highway at 2000 RPM and I sit in my driveway and rev to 2000 you will run out of gas sooner.

You are 2wd and the OP asking the question is 4x4 access cab. He explicitly asked "I am trying to get the best gas mileage without hurting the transmission." Everything with this motor has to do with load and a 4x4 system has much more loss then what you are driving. You will probably see a lot different results with 400+lbs less weight and a different drive-train. These engines/manuals with 4x4 perform much better at a higher rpm and provide better overall mileage then following the low rpm shift method of the v6. It is also bad on the bearing/rings to lug the engine and will probably be leaking oil past the seals down the road if done constantly.

The answer to his question is: just a low enough rpm to not lug the engine no matter what gear he uses. 1400 is low for any gear and lugging with a 4x4 Access cab 2.7L engine.

Products Discussed in

To Top