Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7L oil drain plug

Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
asdfjkl is on a distinguished road
asdfjkl's Tacoma Gallery
2.7L oil drain plug

I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on a 2007 Tacoma with the 2.7L 4 cyl. A quick question: Is there a gasket or crush washer on the oil drain plug that needs to be replaced at each oil change?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there is a gasket. Get it at your local dealer, they should have a bunch behind the counter and they are only a few bucks or so.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
whoa whoa whoa, you have to replace a gasket at each oil change? I changed the oil in all my vehicles myself and have never had to replace a gasket. This doesn't make sense to me. You cant just unscrew the plug and screw it back in when your done?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
tacopuppy is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
tacopuppy's Tacoma Gallery
I reuse one time just to be safe and for my own assurance. this works well for me. as stated you can get the gasket from your dealer, but don't even think about paying a few bucks for it. You should be paying no more than a dollar for those gaskets, max.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
Since we are discussing drain plugs, which "MM" socket do I need for a 01 - 2.7?

6 point or twelve point socket?

Thanks in Advance..
Always use a 6 point socket. Cant remember the mm, sorry.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
12 or 14 i believe. If you cant get a gasket, just put some gasket sealant or dont worry about it. If its threaded correctly, it wont leak.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfjkl View Post
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on a 2007 Tacoma with the 2.7L 4 cyl. A quick question: Is there a gasket or crush washer on the oil drain plug that needs to be replaced at each oil change?
fumoto it be done with it. the fumoto drain valve will make your life so much easier.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
Since we are discussing drain plugs, which "MM" socket do I need for a 01 - 2.7?

6 point or twelve point socket?

Thanks in Advance..
A 14 mm socket or box end wrench
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah when i change my oil i dont replace a gasket. i just remove plug and replace it.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
I reused the crush gasket on my old truck for about ten years before I replaced it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
yeah i fix F/A-18s
NavyNate06 will become famous soon enoughNavyNate06 will become famous soon enough

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate 1st Class
NavyNate06's Tacoma Gallery
theres supposed to be a gasket there? mine never even had one, i bought it used. i've never had any leakage or problems. just german torque it. i don't even think my old mazda had one.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
whoa whoa whoa, you have to replace a gasket at each oil change? I changed the oil in all my vehicles myself and have never had to replace a gasket. This doesn't make sense to me. You cant just unscrew the plug and screw it back in when your done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNate06 View Post
theres supposed to be a gasket there? mine never even had one, i bought it used. i've never had any leakage or problems. just german torque it. i don't even think my old mazda had one.
I got one when I did my first oil change a while back. It was $1.00 at the local stealership. I don't know if it's necessary, but all new trucks should come with one. If your truck doesn't have one, then the previous owner didn't replace it. Again... I don't know if it's necessary, but it's on the new trucks, so I keep it on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
fumoto it be done with it. the fumoto drain valve will make your life so much easier.
Since my last change I bought one of these. (That's a link directly to the type needed for Toyota engines.) I'll put it on next time and never have to worry about the washers or drain plug again. I put one on my wife's car a few weeks ago, too.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #15
Mace is on a distinguished road
Mace's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a dealership and if not over tightend you can reuse the gaskets as long as they are the origanal ones, because the origanal ones are metal with a rubber coating. Most of the ones that are sold are just rubber and they will split after you use them 1 time. Or some dealers carry the metal ones. but if that gasket looks smooshed or cracked you need to replace it.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I got one when I did my first oil change a while back. It was $1.00 at the local stealership. I don't know if it's necessary, but all new trucks should come with one. If your truck doesn't have one, then the previous owner didn't replace it. Again... I don't know if it's necessary, but it's on the new trucks, so I keep it on mine.

Since my last change I bought one of these. (That's a link directly to the type needed for Toyota engines.) I'll put it on next time and never have to worry about the washers or drain plug again. I put one on my wife's car a few weeks ago, too.

not to be a party killer or anything but a buddy of mine had one of those valves on his oil pan and when offroading a stick hit it and drained oil out while he was just motoring along... luckily he stopped when oil light came on and we all had enough oil to get it back to "safe" level...but this wasnt a hardcore trail with tons of branches it was just a little path... so I think they make those valves alittle too easy to get open...also if any ass wants to at the mall they can just hit the valve and bye bye oil
Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
not to be a party killer or anything but a buddy of mine had one of those valves on his oil pan and when offroading a stick hit it and drained oil out while he was just motoring along... luckily he stopped when oil light came on and we all had enough oil to get it back to "safe" level...but this wasnt a hardcore trail with tons of branches it was just a little path... so I think they make those valves alittle too easy to get open...also if any ass wants to at the mall they can just hit the valve and bye bye oil
LOL, A friend of mine hit his on a rock! Broke the valve. Fortunatly, he had his stock plug in his tool box. We installed the plug, put in some oil, and he has never looked at those valves again.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
Toynbyu is on a distinguished road

Toynbyu's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Toynbyu
gasket

Never changed the gasket for 11 years
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
isn't this the purpose of having skid plates?