1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird cold weather operation problem

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Sigray, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Sigray

Sigray [OP] Member

Member:
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 4x4 access cab
    Hello im having a problem with my 09 tacoma 4 cyl. Hopefully this has hapenned to someone else. When outside air temperture is below -25 and truck has reached normal running temperature, on idle truck starts to run rough, knocks and vibrates so much that the steering wheel and dash shakes. But as soon as you bring up idle speed a bit everything goes away.

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    it's call being -25 outside vehicles don't like extreme cold unless you got a block heater battery heater all that stuff and most vehicles don't have the proper cold weather fluids put in them just my .02 hope you get in figured out maybe somebody on here may have had the same shit happen to them good luck let us know

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Sigray

Sigray [OP] Member

Member:
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 4x4 access cab
    Thanks but im aware of cold weather influence on cars i owed 5 cars before this one and never experienced this before. But with that being said its plugged in and im running 0w30 synthetic

4. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    than maybe its the tranny I had a 05 f150 when i went to south dakota in january it got -42 out and I had trouble getting it to go into gear than once it got into drive it wasn't happy kinda bucked like what your describing got back to colorado and all was fine

5. Apr 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    mytacoma08

mytacoma08 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    O8 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Sport 6ft bed
    It's called piston slap. The piston inside the engine has shrunk and until the engine warms up and the pistons expand it will cause vibration sound and vibration through out the vehicle. I have the same problem but not nearly that bad. Mine will only cause vibration in the pedal. Did you ever get it checked out? And if so what did they say?

6. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    He's saying it happens when the truck is at operating temperature. At least he did two months ago. As for your 4.0L, if it's anything like my 4.0 was, when it idles warm at 700 rpm it's going to shake a bit, period.

Here's my guess-

For some reason Toyota wants the 2.7L to idle at 650 rpm when it's fully warmed up, probably to try to save a wee bit of fuel. My engine doesn't like that speed. When spinning that slowly I can just start to feel a wee bit of engine shake, and yes it's more pronounced when cold. If the idle is anything over 670 rpm for whatever reason (foot on the brake, not quite warmed up, etc), it's smooth as silk. Also it goes away whenever the defrost or AC is on as the engine idles at 800 rpm running the compressor; also since the time it takes for the ECU to actually drop from 700ish to 650 rpm is usually around 10 seconds, the compressor cycling won't let it happen.

Add in -25C/-13F motor mounts where the rubber is turned to slate and all that vibration gets to talk to you.

Doesn't the oil cap say 0w20? Sure, 0w30 or 5w30 won't hurt it (2005s recommend 5w30), but if it's going to be that far below zero why not use the thinner stuff?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top