Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Removing Head

Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I will get MOAR pics tonight!!! Hopefully my head doesnt need a rebuild!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
I will get MOAR pics tonight!!! Hopefully my head doesnt need a rebuild!
My Wife told me that My head needs to be rebuilt......I think I agree with her.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
my wife told me that my head needs to be rebuilt......i think i agree with her.
lol:d
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my buddy didnt show up as early as I hoped, so we only got a few things done such as remove rest of the intake plenum, remove the EGR system and change the fuel filter. Here is how she sits:

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #27
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #28
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered 4ft of 2.5" steel tubing to fabricate the bends to my intercooler and different gaskets for the intake and exhaust. Moar to come tomorrow! Stay tuned... maybe i'll get a little polish job done
Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Ordered 4ft of 2.5" steel tubing to fabricate the bends to my intercooler and different gaskets for the intake and exhaust. Moar to come tomorrow! Stay tuned... maybe i'll get a little polish job done
2.5" sounds kinda small for an intercooler. I think that a larger diameter tube, that slows the air flow, would do a better job at cooling the intake charge. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #30
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
2.5" is a pretty reasonable size. My intercooler has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. Im not really worried about keeping it "that" cool, I can always add the untunable meth injection later!!! The intercooler should keep temps down better than running a pipe directly from the turbo to the intake mani..
Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #31

Quote:
2.5" is a pretty reasonable size. My intercooler has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. Im not really worried about keeping it "that" cool, I can always add the untunable meth injection later!!! The intercooler should keep temps down better than running a pipe directly from the turbo to the intake mani..
Well, yeah. Any intercooler is better than none. And I didnt think of the meth injection. I havent messed with that yet.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Im gonna try to stay way from meth at all costs! From what ive seen over at CT, looks like a PITA
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #33
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
K, update for the night. Sorry for the cell pics, the digicam was inside the house.. long cold walk i didnt want to take!

Got the head removed. Internals look nice, just need to be cleaned up. I also picked up my turbo rebuild kit today! And found some 450cc injectors that fit my stock fuel rail, now I just need to figure out how to wire them in....

Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #34
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Update: Got my turbo apart and rebuilding it tonight. Also ordered the injector clips for some bosch 450cc injectors I allocated. Will get better pics later tonight!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
karena is on a distinguished road
karena's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 97 tacoma 170,000 miles and the head gasket just blew and they are asking me what i put in the radiator that caused this massive thick solid rust blockage on the head gasket which caused it to blow. All of the holes on the head gasket were filled solid with hard rust, some holes we can't even get to the rust to come off. i had it flushed and refilled with antifreeze/water over 2 years ago and just a couple of months ago the water was green and coolant was definatley in there and two weeks ago i get out of my truck and i hear boiling water and there was the thickest globbiest rusty looking gunk i have ever seen in my overflow resevoir and there was very little water in the radiator. I i hadn't noticed water leaking under my truck. It never overheated and the gage went up half way as always indicating normal oil temp. so i had no idea it was heating up and the head is so warped the mechanic said it's the worst he has ever seen.

I didn't put anything in my radiator for 2 years, no stop leak because it wasn't leaking so why put any in?

I Was told not to buy new head, too heavy, don't rebuild your own, could blow again and don't remove & replace w/other head out of same type truck but get a recon..................what a mess.

Any ideas on what could've caused this mess? Just an old truck? Not!

I had the correct amount of oil and coolant/water and then BAM...........i am truckless and all i can think about is that darn letter i received from toyota extending the rust protection warranty on the frame an additional 15 years. I have some rust on struts and bottom of doors and some other part underneath in the back as well as in the front and all around bottom of the radiator and now i am ready to crawl under it and see if there's more than that now. Can rust from the frame get into other areas like the engine and cause damage?

thanks, karen

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #36
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
It happens, rust can and will form in the radiator. And considering you live near coastline, you are more prone to radiator corrosion. You should buy a performance head from www.lcengineering.com