LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning

View Poll Results: After cleaning, do you notice any different engine behavior on a cold start?
NO 10 66.67%
Yes, I see a rise in initial RPM 1 6.67%
Yes, I see a fall in initial RPM 1 6.67%
Yes, I see erratic RPM behavior 0 0%
Yes, No, What? I was hoping to seee bewbs 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Navy: AS2
Name: Chad
chaddawkins's Tacoma Gallery
MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning 2TR-FE

Tools:
10mm Socket
Ratchet
3" extension
Long Nose Pliers
#1 Phillips (#3 Phillips optional)

Good Practice:
Torque Wrench (covers 36-80 in. lb.)
Ohmmeter

Hazmat:
Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner
Throttle Body Cleaner
Toothbrush
Rag

Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal (36 in. lb.)

Mass Air Flow Sensor

There are two methods:

Pull from Housing
Disconnect the MAF wire harness, then remove the two #1 Phillips screws.
Pull the MAF Sensor straight up and out.

or

Gain Side Access
Disconnect Air Filter Housing Clips (2), front.
Loosen the Hose Clamps (2) (44 in. lb.) and slide the Hose off the Air Filter Housing.
Disconnect the MAF Sensor Connector and Wire Harness Clamp.
Lift Air Filter Housing straight up.
Note: To gain access to BOTH sides of the MAF Sensor, remove the Charcoal Filter from the Air Filter Housing.

Side view of the MAF sensor, following Method 2.
Clean with MAF Sensor Cleaner, following directions on back.
DO NOT TOUCH SENSOR

Reverse process to reassemble.
I recommend inspecting the MAF Sensor after reassembly:
00600210.pdf

Throttle with Motor Body Assembly

Remove the Resonator Bolts (3) (71 in. lb.)
Loosen the Hose Clamp, both sides of Resonator (44 in. lb.)
Disconnect the Vacuum Hose
Disconnect the No. 2 Ventilation Hose
Disconnect the Pressure Sensor Connector

Lift the Resonator and Hose Assembly up and forward, exposing the Throttle Body Assembly.
Disconnect the Throttle Motor Connector.
Remove the Bolts (2) and Nuts (2) (80 in. lb.)
Disconnect the Water By-Pass Hoses (2).
Lift Throttle Body Assembly stright up, exposing the Intake Manifold.
Note: There is a non-reusable rubber gasket between the Throttle Body Assembly and the Intake Manifold (I reused mine).

Bottom view, before cleaning.

Bottom view, after cleaning.
Clean with Throttle Body Cleaner, following directions on back.

Reverse process to reassemble.
I recommend inspecting the Throttle Motor after reassembly:
0060068.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0117.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0124.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0125.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0112.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0113.jpg  

2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0110.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0115.jpg   2TR-FE MAF Sensor & Throttle Body Cleaning-img_0122.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Bravo! Thank you sir...I appreciate having clear directions like this.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Textbook Fucking Mental
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work.

Grab a bottle of sea foam and run it through the intake as well. Typically hooked up to the vacuum line off the brake booster, it's sucks the SF through the vacuum line and cleans out the air chamber.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job, was looking for exactly this.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
did you notice any diffrence in performance or Mpg's after doing this
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Navy: AS2
Name: Chad
chaddawkins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
did you notice any diffrence in performance or Mpg's after doing this
Yes - I deleted my secondary air filter at the same time, and the battery was disconnected long enough to reset the ecu. This is the reason I posted the poll, so everyone could see what to expect as time goes on
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up and pics. ImpulseRed008 posted the link for me in the 6 forum. There are tons of write ups and Sticky's for 6's but only 2 in the 4 cylinder forum. I'm going to ask a mod to make this a Sticky in the 4 cylinder forum. Thanks again for your work on this.