1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck won't start after brake job

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by FLTaco2WD, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    FLTaco2WD

FLTaco2WD [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BOB
    FL
    Vehicle:
    '95 Tacoma Ex Cab 2.4L Auto
    Looking for any ideas on a '95 Taco 2.4L auto with AC. Drove vehicle for 11 years, then used it less after getting a Highlander. Truck always ran well. Truck sat for a while. About a month ago, put a new battery in, checked all fluid etc and started her up - no problems. Cold AC, everything great. Ran it, stopped and started half a dozen time and also let it run for 30 min. at at a time. Brakes were a little mushy, (they had been before) so i jacked up the car and bled the lines. Manual stated to start the car while lifted so engine vacuum could be used for the brake testing etc. But the car would no longer start. This is where it is strange, when turning the ignition key, the starter turns, the fan blade turns, the belts turn but there is no "load", its like the pistons are not being moved. I have had situations where a car will not start, but you could tell the whole engine was turning over, just not firing or catching. This is different. The starter just whines while the belts and such turn. I thought the starter went so I replaced it - same problem, no difference. Belts turn, pulleys turn but its not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    tosaw

tosaw Active Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100's + TSB Springs, Sockmonkey retro decals, IMMRYO mirror bracket, Blu Logic, Color matched grille with blacked out emblem
    Sounds like a broken timing chain. Pull the valve cover and crank it over to check if the camshafts are turning.

3. Feb 25, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    x2

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    FLTaco2WD

Member:
    First Name:
    BOB
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your input. I was afraid it might be the timing chain - I will pull the covers and see what I can see. Question: is it a tough job to replace the chain? Any special tools needed or things to expect? Haven't torn down an engine since I re-worked my '74 Plymouth Gold Duster - ahh what a car!

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

RP

5. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    well it depends because of the timing chain breaking if parts of the motor are broken. It shouldnt be too hard to do your self just make sure you get the timing right.

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    FLTaco2WD

Member:
    First Name:
    BOB
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Will do. Thank you for your advice - very helpful. Just don't understand why there would be such a dramatic engine failure. Only 120K on the vehicle, always maintained, car was running great. I had started it to charge the battery a bit before working on the brakes, ran perfect for 10-15 minutes, shut it off, then did the brakes. After, nothing, it just quit.

One more question: Will I have to pull the head off to replace the chain?

Thanks!
    RP

7. Jun 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    3 months ago. How did you make out ?

Products Discussed in

To Top