Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Looking at the FJ Cruiser

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
BLKHILLSGUY is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
BLKHILLSGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Looking at the FJ Cruiser

Hey guys. I have a 2012 4cyl sr5 access cab. I really like the truck and it's been great in the snow here in the Dakotas. I drove by the local Toyota dealer the other day and they have an Army green FJ. It was love at first sight. Loved the growl of the v-6 and it's just such a macho looking rig. I have no use for a larger engine. What do u guys think of the FJ? Bad decision on trading? I should have just stayed out of the dealer lot.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Is your truck paid off?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
If you use your truck as a truck, then you will be pissed by how much storage room you are going to lose.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Still making payments and going through nursing school, so probably not the wisest decision. I could afford it, but it would be a little tighter. Insurance would be $30 more a month. Just really like the look of the FJ. I guess the gas mileage wouldn't be as good either. Plus gas is going up.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
^i wouldn't do anything till your truck is paid off. If you can afford the fj then pay truck off as early as possible. Then consider your options.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
I would wait a bit before trading in your tacoma. IMO wait awhile because you know a new model / upgraded FJ will come out eventually. Then you would have paid down ur loan on the truck so you will have more wiggle room when it comes to trade. You dont want to trade in something you just bought because they will rip you a new one on the trade and u might buy a FJ for 30k but drive off owing 38k.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I could never daily drive an FJ, I'd stick to the Tacoma if you are daily driving.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
The blind spots in an FJ are ridiculous. That being said, the wifey and I will likely pick one up to use solely for road trips when we have kidlets. Blind spot issue aside, we love how it drives, rides, and just generally feels on and off road. The gas mileage will suck though...
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Taco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco4x4NC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Helo nighttime recon extended perimeter security
Name: David
Taco4x4NC's Tacoma Gallery
I owned an 07 when they first came out. They eat windshields. The glass deflects nothing. A direct hit from a pebble will give you a spider web, don't ask me how I know.

Added larger tires and gas mileage sucked. Traded on a Tacoma and never looked back. Just my 02 cents. You will miss your truck. Blind spots galore, a very poor design, and the interior will scratch if you accidentally rub or hit anything on it. Toyota could have done much better.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
If you looking for something Nice for kids and road trips check out the new 4runners. I saw one going psay me yesterday and they look tough! Definitely better looking than the Fj and I bet it would make the wife happy plus plenty of room for the kiddos. More family oriented I think.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
If you use your truck as a truck, then you will be pissed by how much storage room you are going to lose.
^this.
iv'e heard how cramped they are for passengers. Test everything out in it if you are considering one. put yourself in a passenger's shoes and climb in and out of the back. I love the way fjs look, but they weren't practical enough for me.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Thanks guys. I think I will wait. The army green is sick. I love my little four banger. I put a $2,700 stereo system in the truck and a tonneau cover on the truck. Perhaps I should beef up the tires. I'm averaging 21-22 mpg now and while I'm sure bigger tires will drop the the mileage. Not sure I'm interested in a lift at this point although I really like the beefy look. That's what drew me to the FJ. I've heard they eat windows, and the notorious blind spots, and the limited rear leg room.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
M buddy has a ’11 trail team in army green. they are very nice! ride really good.

They do have blind spots but you kinda get use to them and know where they are.

he has only had 1 rock hit his windshield, and he has about 40K on it. he had the crack repaired, did not need a hole new windshield. leg room is not bad(i’m 5’8”) around town it’s not bad, i would not want to be in the back much longer than 2 hour or so. front leg room is good for both driver and front passenger. (i have drove it a few times)

also lots of room for sub’s he has 2 AR audio 12” in the back.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4x4NC View Post
I owned an 07 when they first came out. They eat windshields. The glass deflects nothing. A direct hit from a pebble will give you a spider web, don't ask me how I know.

Added larger tires and gas mileage sucked. Traded on a Tacoma and never looked back. Just my 02 cents. You will miss your truck. Blind spots galore, a very poor design, and the interior will scratch if you accidentally rub or hit anything on it. Toyota could have done much better.
I think they newer ones are better. my buddys does not have like any scratches inside. back seat has had snowboards and everything, have had guns bump the dash up front nothing(back in his back filed. not going down the road)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Im telling you do everything you can to not have a payment. I work at a repo lot and its ridiculous how much people still owe when there car gets repoed. You may be able to afford it now but how about in 2 years? Just pay your truck off, not only will you pay more a month for it, you will pay more for gas and insurance. Thats money you can spend on off road adventures. Trust me
Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
I would wait a bit before trading in your tacoma. IMO wait awhile because you know a new model / upgraded FJ will come out eventually. Then you would have paid down ur loan on the truck so you will have more wiggle room when it comes to trade. You dont want to trade in something you just bought because they will rip you a new one on the trade and u might buy a FJ for 30k but drive off owing 38k.
Better not wait too long. FJ's go bye-bye soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Mudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
Mudfly's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a Tacoma, My wife drives a FJ. The Tacoma gets better gas mileage and is more practical for hauling things. The FJ is more comfortable (longer travel suspension soaks up the potholes)and is more capable off road without spending money on mods. The FJ is more fun to drive. Fuel mileage in the FJ we get about 16 in town and 20 -21 on the highway at 65 mph with stock size all season tires. The FJ has large mirrors, the blind-spots are not an issue once you drive it a month. If I had to choose to keep one of the two I would probably keep the FJ. I can always hook up my little utility trailer to haul things

Supposedly 2014 will be the last year for the FJ, But Toyota says every other year they will end production but change their minds.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2003 2.7l regcab4x4 and an FJ, and love them equally.