Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Exhaust Shield

Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
beatlebrown is on a distinguished road
beatlebrown's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Shield

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have a noisy heat shield over top of the exhaust.
It's attached in 3 places and of course, the one which appears loose (in the front) is the hardest to access (ratchet won't fit and the nut appears to be countersunk in the aluminum so even a wrench is painful).

I've tried bending it, also stuck a few tap con screws in it but the noise keeps coming back so...I'm thinking of removing it although it's obviously there for a purpose.
Has anyone removed theirs and if so, have you had issues or heard of any?
Feel free to weigh in.

Tks...Tim
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Wrymouth is on a distinguished road
Wrymouth's Tacoma Gallery
I cut the back half off mine (it was hanging loose and rattling) about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Speck is on a distinguished road
Speck's Tacoma Gallery
I have used hose clamps to secure them when the welds pop loose (on a previous car). It may not cause any problems to remove them, but when dealing with something that protects your car from excessive heat, why risk it?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I used bailing wire to "clamp" it to the piping so it would stop rattling.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I squeeze high temp silicone underneath hot rattles.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I have a shield for a manifold style 4cyl yousr if you want it free pay shipping. I went to a 01+ header and not running heat shield