Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Tow Package on 2.7L 4 cylinder

Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Papa K is on a distinguished road

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Does the truck have an OEM receiver or an aftermarket? Flat 4 wiring or 7-pin wiring? I would bet that is a dealer installed receiver and wiring.
I look tonight after work.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa K View Post
I will double check the purchase paperwork this evening. Truck is currently resting in the garage.
I did quite an extensive search for a 4 cyl 4x4 - access cab from 2011 to current. Was hoping for a deal on a used one. Ended up getting a new one for about the same cost as used. The V6 tacomas are a lot more plentiful to choose from (here anyways). I worked through a broker via the Credit Union and had 3 to choose from. This one came from about 150 miles away and had the tow package included. Cost was the same for all 3. included.
Yea for sure. I bought my 2011 brand new for $23600 and traded it in 365 days later with 20,000 miles and tons of scratches (from off roading) for $21800 at the same dealer. They listed it form $25,500 and it was off their site within a few weeks. Whoever bought that is a poor fool.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #23
Papa K is on a distinguished road

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Does the truck have an OEM receiver or an aftermarket? Flat 4 wiring or 7-pin wiring? I would bet that is a dealer installed receiver and wiring.
Here are a couple of pics. It has the 4-wire receiver -

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
PapaK, that's not too bad. The tow package V6 models come with the round 7-pin connector but I am surprised to see that they used an OEM receiver (they do seem much more stout than the aftermarket ones)!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Sprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
Sprucetaco13's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a trailer hitch (aftermarket) and a wiring harness from Toyota and it comes with a "converter box" that looks like a computer and a shit load of harness that I have to hook up to my fuse box and run the wires back. Anyone do this? I have a 2013 tacoma 2.7 5speed manual 4wd.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 tow package? yes, that would be the v6 option...

i am in the market for a hitch, but only as a spot for a tow harness. aside from ebay, what are the better retailers online where i can get one cheap?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Factory harness is much better than the aftermarket ones. It separates the trailer electrical load from the taillights and gives it its own fuse.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT725-35120inst.pdf
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #28
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed my oem hitch. Its a bit pricey but it definitely looks more stout then the other aftermarket hitches. Took my buddy and i about 2-3hrs to install and we didnt run into any real problems. Next will be the oem harness.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #29
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I think the bumper will take a 2'' ball and tow 3500 lbs stock.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucetaco13 View Post
I just bought a trailer hitch (aftermarket) and a wiring harness from Toyota and it comes with a "converter box" that looks like a computer and a shit load of harness that I have to hook up to my fuse box and run the wires back. Anyone do this? I have a 2013 tacoma 2.7 5speed manual 4wd.

7 pin or 4 pin?

You can get a 4 pin aftermarket converter box that is plug and play and is much much simpler. The one you got is more robust, but a lot more work. It connect to fuse box under hood.

Try this one: http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...dy/118496.html

I installed that one and then ran a few more wires to make it a 7 pin. My trailer has electric brakes. In hindsight, it might have taken the same amount of time had I gotten the OEM Toyota harness, but less $ with the etrailer package.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #31
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Navy: AS2
Name: Chad
chaddawkins's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucetaco13 View Post
I ran this on my 2005 2.7 manual. Factory wiring, aftermarket receiver (Curt 13323). Easy day.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
When I built my truck on toyotas website, all I did was click on trailer towing hitch or whatever and poof! The dealer installed it on my new truck. 4 cyl with a 2" receiver. Just like Papa K.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #33
Sprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud ofSprucetaco13 has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
Sprucetaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddawkins View Post
I ran this on my 2005 2.7 manual. Factory wiring, aftermarket receiver (Curt 13323). Easy day.
Yeah I did the same thing. Took me about two hours but I would rather have a factory harness then some aftermarket stuff.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #34
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
I put a hitch and basic wiring on my 05 but that doesnt mean it has the "tow package". I don't know all that exactly comes on the tow package V6 rigs but its oil cooler, trans cooler, larger amp battery and alternator, 7 way plug fully wired and ready to go for a brake controller. If a dealer says an I4 has a "towing package" hes a liar or doesnt know crap, we all know most salesman are complete idiots. There's no 2.7L that has the 6,500 pound tow rating like the Towing package equipped V6's.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I cant speak from experience, but after testing both the auto and standard, then towing with the standard, I would never want to experience towing any weight with the auto. Not close to enough power
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #36
Life is good.
glhsracer is on a distinguished road
glhsracer's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to glhsracer
I had the dealer install it, they used new Toyota parts. I don't remember the cost, did a nice job though.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #37
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
If you are serious about the 4cyl with AT for towing, I would definitely factor in adding a transmission oil cooler.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
i got mine put on at the dealer. they use a reese towing kit with 4 pin connector around $300 installed. rated at 6000lbs.

i tow about 2000lbs with it. a 5x10 trailer with a 1500lb ztr lawnmower. i have manual tranny. it struggles on hills. i have to downshift to 3rd gear to make it up long hills at about 45mph max speed.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #39
Beaniam is on a distinguished road
Beaniam's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a 4cyl trans cooler to look for that neatly bolts in factory style or is it pretty much aftermarket limited?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #40
Sheepshead45 is on a distinguished road
Sheepshead45's Tacoma Gallery
My '10 4cyl prerunner had the "tow package" (hitch and 4 pin wiring) installed at the dealer.

Not sure what the price was as it was all lumped in the "on the road" price negotiated.