Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Tow Package on 2.7L 4 cylinder

Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
Tow Package on 2.7L 4 cylinder

Am still trying to narrow down my choices in purchasing a 2013/2014 Tacoma later this spring. I like the fuel economy and durability of the 4 cylinder and the space of the access cab with the SR5 package so far. Am also favoring the automatic transmission.

However, I want to be able to occasionally tow an appropriate weight trailer and wondered if any of the new 4 cylinder models can be ordered/purchased with the tow package. If not, how difficult is it to add an aftermarket hitch? Also, how easy or difficult is installing the wiring for trailer lights/brakes?

Any suggestions and thoughts are most welcome.

Rick
Old 03-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I think I may have seen a I4 with a tow package and it was a 400 dollar option at a local dealer. You could probably buy the aftermarket parts and only spend around $150 if you install it yourself.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a drawtie hitch and all the wiring myself. Cost around 270.00 total and can be done in under an hour. For the hitch, just remove the bumper, line up the holes and slap it back together. Lights all "plug'n'play" into your brake lights.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrick View Post
I installed a drawtie hitch and all the wiring myself. Cost around 270.00 total and can be done in under an hour. For the hitch, just remove the bumper, line up the holes and slap it back together. Lights all "plug'n'play" into your brake lights.
Damn... you got ripped off!

Receiver costs about $150, plug and play 4-pin wiring costs about $30 and everything can be installed in about an hour with simple hand tools.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
You right. Maybe shoulda looked before i so grossly overestimated.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Normally you can find hitches for sale on craigslist for cheap to. I got a factory Toyota one still in the box for 75
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know there is no tow pkg. available , I'd be careful of a dealer that says there is . My guess is they'd say that to up the sale $1000. I'm thinking of doing a hitch, wiring and a brake box. The tow section has tons of info in that direction
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

There is at my local dealer. Could be dealer installed or because im in the southeast. The package I saw on the i4 didn't include the brake controler
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
There is at my local dealer. Could be dealer installed or because im in the southeast. The package I saw on the i4 didn't include the brake controler
It's got to be dealer installed and it's not the same as Toyota's tow package. The tow package is only on the V6 models and comes with a larger alternator and supplimental oil coolers for the engine and auto transmission.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Just installed a class III hitch and wiring myself. Very simple install. Like said before i removed the bumper and bumper bracket, bolted the 4 bottom hitch bolts supplied with the hitch up (helps to have a 2nd person to assist in holding the hitch up), bolted the bumper bracket back on, then bolted the bumper back on. Also included with the hitch is 4 spacers that go in between the bumper bracket and the bumper to compensate for the thickness of the hitch. Its easiest to to install all the bolts loosely then tighten them all down at once. Get the plug and play wiring harness all you do it remove either taillight, disconnect the in line connection in there, and plug the either end into the harness. Then just zip tie the slack line up and your done. I did the wiring before i put the bumper back on to make life simpler. Cost was $230 for everything. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
There actually is a "Factory tow package" for the 2.7L, and like mentioned its around $400. It has the hitch and wiring, but like mentioned does not have all the "true tow package" extras like tranny coolers, etc.
I went to my local U-haul to buy a hitch, cost me $100, plus 20 to install and 5 for a lifetime replacement coverage. Someone crashes into the rear of my truck, free hitch. 125 total. Then, I bought a clean, plug and play, no splicing, 4 pin wiring harness for about 35 online. Total, 160 for everything.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
There actually is a "Factory tow package" for the 2.7L, and like mentioned its around $400. It has the hitch and wiring, but like mentioned does not have all the "true tow package" extras like tranny coolers, etc.
I went to my local U-haul to buy a hitch, cost me $100, plus 20 to install and 5 for a lifetime replacement coverage. Someone crashes into the rear of my truck, free hitch. 125 total. Then, I bought a clean, plug and play, no splicing, 4 pin wiring harness for about 35 online. Total, 160 for everything.
Don't confuse a dealer-installed receiver for the factory tow package... They are definitely different. A dealer-installed class 3 receiver is not the factory tow package.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Don't confuse a dealer-installed receiver for the factory tow package... They are definitely different. A dealer-installed class 3 receiver is not the factory tow package.

agreed. Any dealer can add a hitch to the truck and put it on the sticker. it typically doesnt come with the wiring.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Papa K is on a distinguished road

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Just F.Y.I. - I just purchased a 2013 4x4 Access cab 2.7 lt. and it came with the 'Factory Tow Package'. The cost was $550.00
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa K View Post
Just F.Y.I. - I just purchased a 2013 4x4 Access cab 2.7 lt. and it came with the 'Factory Tow Package'. The cost was $550.00
Wiring set up already installed?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the stuff aftermarket, the hitch and wiring harness for the trailer lights. Took half a day to install everything.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #17

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
Wiring set up already installed?
That is correct.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is correct.

wow, that is a very rare bird. As far as I have ever seen them, they usually only have the hitch and no wires. Maybe dealer installed that?

I need some more info, lol
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #19

Papa K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
wow, that is a very rare bird. As far as I have ever seen them, they usually only have the hitch and no wires. Maybe dealer installed that?

I need some more info, lol
I will double check the purchase paperwork this evening. Truck is currently resting in the garage.
I did quite an extensive search for a 4 cyl 4x4 - access cab from 2011 to current. Was hoping for a deal on a used one. Ended up getting a new one for about the same cost as used. The V6 tacomas are a lot more plentiful to choose from (here anyways). I worked through a broker via the Credit Union and had 3 to choose from. This one came from about 150 miles away and had the tow package included. Cost was the same for all 3. included.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will double check the purchase paperwork this evening. Truck is currently resting in the garage.
I did quite an extensive search for a 4 cyl 4x4 - access cab from 2011 to current. Was hoping for a deal on a used one. Ended up getting a new one for about the same cost as used. The V6 tacomas are a lot more plentiful to choose from (here anyways). I worked through a broker via the Credit Union and had 3 to choose from. This one came from about 150 miles away and had the tow package included. Cost was the same for all 3. included.
Does the truck have an OEM receiver or an aftermarket? Flat 4 wiring or 7-pin wiring? I would bet that is a dealer installed receiver and wiring.