Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 cylinder power

Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Big Bear dude is on a distinguished road
Big Bear dude's Tacoma Gallery
4 cylinder power

Hi I'm a new member and considering the purchase of a 4 cylinder 4x4 standard or access cab. My concern is that living in the mountains I have to climb up and down frequently and that the power will be an issue. I'm an electrician and carry mostly hand tools and a ladder but I'm climbing 4000' on a 16% grade at times.
Secondly how will it do in the snow?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Get the stick and it will most likely need a regear .
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Big Bear dude is on a distinguished road
Big Bear dude's Tacoma Gallery
Regear ?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
My manual does fine going skiing/hiking in Oregon or Washington, no 16%s though, holds speed on grades at say 50mph, but wont accelerate on them over 4-5k altitude. As far as snow, it'll do as well as any other truck, but I always use winter tires. Power will be an issue, its a 4 cylinder, but it does damn good for one.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Theres about a 1/2 mile hill pretty steep grade, I can pull it @ 3500rpm's @ 70mph in my 4cyl auto, granted that's pretty windin it out for the lil Toyota though.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear dude View Post
Regear ?
Lower gears to help . If you don't mod it ( bigger tires , lift ) it should probably be ok .
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On freeways, it holds speed any grade/speed for me, but mountain grades and altitude start to challenge any engine, especially smaller ones for a given model.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
I live above 5000 feet, and my 2.7L reg cab is not fast by any means, but it goes up hills OK if I'm in the appropriate gear. At this altitude, I have to shift down for the steeper hills, especially if I've got weight in the bed.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
jmlinne is on a distinguished road
Name: Mitch
jmlinne's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.7L 5-speed handles hills and snow just great. Now that It has 170,000 and low compression I don't try hills in 5th but in 4th I have no problems. The 4wd is excellent in snow and ice. In and out of 4H with a flick of the wrist. In Montana we all use studded snow tires for the ice.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlinne View Post
My 2.7L 5-speed handles hills and snow just great. Now that It has 170,000 and low compression I don't try hills in 5th but in 4th I have no problems. The 4wd is excellent in snow and ice. In and out of 4H with a flick of the wrist. In Montana we all use studded snow tires for the ice.
Did you check your compression? How do you know it's low? 170k is not that many miles for a modern Toyota 4-cylinder.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Billyj870m9 is on a distinguished road
Billyj870m9's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly if I lived in hilly areas I would have traded my 4 banger already. For where I live it's ok but I have a feeling you'll need a little more power for all the hills.

That being said I love mine for what I do. I don't tow and don't haul a lot besides my self and work stuff. I will prolly be getting a v6 soon just because I want a dclb and it only comes in the sport in my area.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
6 cyl is better for steeper and longer grades--had a 4cyl-did OK.
BUT 6 cyl is MUCH BETTER-have the 6cyl now. spend the extra $$$ you will not regret it.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
jmlinne is on a distinguished road
Name: Mitch
jmlinne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Did you check your compression? How do you know it's low? 170k is not that many miles for a modern Toyota 4-cylinder.
Yes I did a differential pressure compression test like we do on aviation engines. It registered an average near 40/80 psi if you understand the meaning. This test also helps identify the source of leaks and mine are primarily rings.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 4 cyl and live at sea level. When I took it skiing I was surprised how much power it lost. If i lived above 5000 ft elevation I would not have bought my 4cyl.

On the plus side once you get used to it and you bring it back down the hill it is as if someone dropped a supercharge in it, so much more power!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
What power?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
senile member

[QUOTE=newertoy;6611579]6 cyl is better for steeper and longer grades--had a 4cyl-did OK.
BUT 6 cyl is MUCH BETTER-have the 6cyl now. spend the extra $$$ you will not regret it.[/QUOTE

Drove one, better acceleration, but only does the exact 75mph as a 4 cyl. My 4 cyl is paid and I don't regret it . I don't regret the 25-26 mpg either , I don't regret the lower maintenance. 6cylinder is nice , nothing against it , but a lot of us just either don't need or want it.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
25-26 in a 5 lug, no problem, in a 4x4, thats a stretch . . . not saying you're lying, just impressed at such FE with 4x4.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
senile member

65 mph speed limit in Oregon, as opposed to 75 elsewhere, its highway mpg too still on stock tires too, fuel efficient , but not great off road. Its not too hard to do with some small efforts.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
My manual does fine going skiing/hiking in Oregon or Washington, no 16%s though, holds speed on grades at say 50mph, but wont accelerate on them over 4-5k altitude. As far as snow, it'll do as well as any other truck, but I always use winter tires. Power will be an issue, its a 4 cylinder, but it does damn good for one.
^^^^ Excellent Answer

Test drive both and you'll probably get your answer. But if you get the 2.7L - Get a stick.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear dude View Post
Hi I'm a new member and considering the purchase of a 4 cylinder 4x4 standard or access cab. My concern is that living in the mountains I have to climb up and down frequently and that the power will be an issue. I'm an electrician and carry mostly hand tools and a ladder but I'm climbing 4000' on a 16% grade at times.
Secondly how will it do in the snow?
Nobody will mistake the 2.7 banger for a speed demon. That said, it has plenty of power for everyday driving use - even on hills, as long as you're willing to use the gearbox.

I'm lifted and running on oversized tires, carrying a fair amount of armor and tools, and even still on the Barstow to Bakersfield climb yesterday (into a heckuva headwind) I could always hold 70 or 75 on the climbs - unless I had to slow down for other traffic.

But only you know how much power you really need. So I advise you test drive both for a lengthy test drive.