Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

winch on 4 banger

Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
winch on 4 banger

i want to add a winch to my 4 banger. its a 2012 R/C 4x4. do i need to buy an extra battery to handle the winching part. its more for looks then anything else, i just had to tow the ups guy out of my muddy driveway. i was surprised that the 4 banger was able to get the job done.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
Why in the hell do you want a wich for looks that dumb bro
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman
82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed82 yotaman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3/1 infantry sniper plt reach out and touch someone
Name: BUBBA
82 yotaman's Tacoma Gallery
and no you should be fine if you are concerned about your battery get a optima yellow top or simular
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
If it's just for looks, then mount a black plastic winch on the front end and forget the second battery...
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 yotaman View Post
Why in the hell do you want a wich for looks that dumb bro

winches are a pricey investment and I would think you would only want one if you actually needed it. But then again, my sport scoop is just for looks as well.

Hell if you got the money and want to do it I say do it. It is your truck after all. and hell, you may surprise yourself and actually use it one day.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
cfagan14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cfagan14's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, I added a winch but don't deliberately take it off road. More like it gives me peace of mind when going down the forest service roads as I've been stranded all damn day waiting for someone to pull me out. Besides its your truck man, do whatever the hell you want.Like my buddy above me said, chances are once you add a winch you'll start thinking you're unstoppable and then you will really get you ass stuck.
Btw here's ,my winch mount. I have a 2012 4-banger access cab so you could set it up the same way.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
i have a winch on my 650 can am and use that alot. i own 20 acres of woods and cut my own firewood, so a winch would come in handy! but i think a winch on the front would look nice!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfagan14 View Post
Eh, I added a winch but don't deliberately take it off road. More like it gives me peace of mind when going down the forest service roads as I've been stranded all damn day waiting for someone to pull me out. Besides its your truck man, do whatever the hell you want.Like my buddy above me said, chances are once you add a winch you'll start thinking you're unstoppable and then you will really get you ass stuck.
Btw here's ,my winch mount. I have a 2012 4-banger access cab so you could set it up the same way.

thanks for adding the pics chris, in my eyes that looks sweet on your truck. i have the same truck as you do, what size warn is that?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chris finally posts a picture of his truck. Now the world can see.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh178 View Post
thanks for adding the pics chris, in my eyes that looks sweet on your truck. i have the same truck as you do, what size warn is that?
Its a WARN VR-8000 with the synthetic rope. If I were you I would probably go with steel line since your using it more for utility, i.e. pulling wood around your property.There's also another mount for our trucks if you don't want the hoops, its made by Westin and runs about half as much as the mount I got it. Here's a pic for reference, its more like a tray but it still has tow hooks on it. I just preferred some hoops! Also note you can get this mount without the bullbar.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjones5 View Post
Chris finally posts a picture of his truck. Now the world can see.
Whatevs mall ninja.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Whatevs mall ninja.
I do some offloading... on wet grass in a pasture.

And i was down for some offroading but someone is always to damn busy...
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its a WARN VR-8000 with the synthetic rope. If I were you I would probably go with steel line since your using it more for utility, i.e. pulling wood around your property.There's also another mount for our trucks if you don't want the hoops, its made by Westin and runs about half as much as the mount I got it. Here's a pic for reference, its more like a tray but it still has tow hooks on it. I just preferred some hoops! Also note you can get this mount without the bullbar.
thats the option i was looking at, except not having the bull bar and going with the light bar on the winch tray!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
ttora member since 2001
scootn2nature is on a distinguished road
scootn2nature's Tacoma Gallery
you need to upgrade te alternater and do the big 3 first what would be te point in a second battery if you cant charge them adequitly. otherwise just increase your idle speed to around 2000 when winching and you wont kill your battery in 5 min
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you need to upgrade te alternater and do the big 3 first what would be te point in a second battery if you cant charge them adequitly.
What does "do the big 3 first" mean?

Anyone have experience with hidden winch mounts? They seem pricey but exactly what I want.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clc clc View Post
What does "do the big 3 first" mean?

Anyone have experience with hidden winch mounts? They seem pricey but exactly what I want.
Check this one out. Nice clean install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-mounted.html