1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best exhaust, air intake, need help with 2013 2.7

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by skitheeast8, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Nov 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    I highly recommend a Flowmaster Series 50 Delta flow muffler. This is how it sounds inside the cab in normal driving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwx6WIfQTg

Here how the Flowmaster compares to Magnaflow and stock muffler on the dyno...

RED:stock muffler
    BLUE: Magnaflow straight through muffler
    GREEN: Flowmaster chambered muffler

The Flowmaster makes slightly more torque at a little lower rpms.

all_3_zps45fc619a_bb15193777cf255efff0bc857df31fc495c62106.jpg

If you want more sound without spending a lot of money, just change out the muffler and keep your stock pipe. :)

Greg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. Nov 30, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically correct.

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Quad LB
    Very nice chart... now that's good data. Not rock throwing, but I'm not interested in sound at all. The low end on my 2012 (5 speed manual), 4 popper 4wd is bad enough, notwithstanding further being hampered by a +1 tire size increase. Yeah I know, but those stock tires looked like tiny black wall inner tubes. They just had to go.

So, with that, I need all the help I can find in the lack of low end power department. Hell, pulling out on a soft dirt incline or even just running this truck up on ramps to change oil is a challenge.... and I've driven standard shift vehicles for over 20 years.

Sadly, my newest Tacoma is a gutless wonder compared to old 2001 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4wd model. My old 2001 would run low end circles around this one all day. I've owned (5) Taco's - love 'em all, the current one included, but this little unit is an absolute TERD in the low RPM ranges.

Whatever info I can learn here to help it is monstrously appreciated.

3. Nov 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    Model for model, the gen 2's are larger and heavier than the gen 1's. Big diameter wheels also raise the gearing which makes it even more of a dog. So I made a project with only one goal on my fully loaded work truck: to increase low end torque with no regard for high rpm performance.

On the dyno, at the rear wheels:

A stock 2.7 makes 133ftlbs @ 3,800 rpm
    and my 2.7 makes 162ftlbs @ 2,800 rpm

This is 22% more torque at 26% less rpms. :)

And these are the bolt on mods:

Injen long tube intake
    LCE long tube header
    Tooter 2 inch thick intake manifold spacer
    Flowmaster Series 50 Delta Flow muffler

While my truck isn't any faster... it pulls like a tractor at low rpms. And the best gas mileage I've gotten is 30.6 mpg on an 800 mile freeway trip.

Greg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Hofmann’s Tacos likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    Rockfish415

Rockfish415 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    man this sounds great....my only question?
    How do you get around the smog inspection?
    I can't imagine that this will fly...

5. Dec 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    Rockfish415

Rockfish415 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    tooter

I love the set up....quick ?? tho?
    How do you handle the CA smog requirements?

6. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM
    bpurdy

bpurdy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Duluth MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab Tacoma 4x4 5 speed
    Heavy Duty Tow Package, Field Logic Graphics Aries Black Grille Guard Ionic Tonneau Cover
    Hey guys, just thought I'd ad my 2 cents. Ive been slowly doing some add ons to get a little more out of my 2TR. I tow a 5000lbs trailer daily with it so extra power is always nice. (yes I know its only rated for 3500, but big trucks cant maneuver as well, so my reg cab with a 5 speed is ideal)

I started with a K&N series 63 air charger for about $300. Installed it myself, went very well. As far as power increase, I did not notice much. The sound was great and it pulled a little better in the 3500 to 5500 rpm band, but not enough to go wow. Then I thought, what good is getting air in if you cant get it out. So a few months later I bought the LCE header as shown above in some previous posts. Think it was about $400ish. Also installed it myself. It was a little trickier then doing the K&N, but with a few colds ones, some penetrating oil, and a free saturday nite, it went on great. The power increase again was nice, but not that noticeable for the price. (I raced my friends stock 2014 tacoma and I did beat it, but not by as much as you expect. I decided to do one last finishing touch. I replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow for about $150 (I did magnaflow instead of flowmaster for a better power increase and the warranty is better. I prefer the sound of a flowmaster though.) That tied everything together, then I noticed a nice little power gain.

Im not an expert, but one can assume that if you just did a muffler and header, the truck wouldn't be able to suck air in making the muffler and header seam like a waste. Same as if you just did the cold air intake. But when you do all 3 (intake, header, muffler) you really get a noticeable gain. Its definitely not V6, but it's a good upgrade from stock. Truck feels more free, even when towing my heavy landscape trailer.

When I have some time (probably in january) Ill post a new 0-60 vid so you can see for yourself. at the end of they day is it worth $850? For me yes, but my truck is my work and my hobby so I'm with her a lot.

Thats all, Merry christmas everyone.

7. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Check the scales. Torque and horsepower are different scales.

8. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    That's right not quicker. It just pulls stronger under load. My truck is always loaded down for work, so all I need is more low rpm torque and not high rpm acceleration.

My 2.7 will pass the emissions part of the test because all of the smog components are intact and no codes are thrown. However, the header won't pass the physical examination because it has no CARB number. So when inspection time comes I'll need to take it off for the test.

Greg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  9. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    And a Merry Christmas to you, purdy. :)

You're right. It's the combination of mods that works better than each one does separately. And torque doesn't make a truck any faster. It can just pull more of a load with less effort.

The performance of Magnaflow and Flowmaster are really close, but on the dyno, Flowmaster edged out Magnaflow by producing slightly more torque sooner by 100 less rpms. Flowmasters also make 100% stainless steel mufflers with as good a warranty as Magnaflow. They cost more than their regular steel mufflers but I think it's worth it.

Greg

Products Discussed in

To Top