LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Best exhaust, air intake, need help with 2013 2.7

Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
skitheeast8 is on a distinguished road
skitheeast8's Tacoma Gallery
Best exhaust, air intake, need help with 2013 2.7

I just got a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 4cyl access cab.
Love the truck.
I want to put an aftermarket exhaust in it, make it louder and possibly add a little HP?
Don't want to get the ricey sound.
I heard the magnaflow was a good one...any other suggestions?
New with toyotas so suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated!
I'm looking mostly for noise, for the truck to sound like its gotta little more nuts than it does , but also possibly add some power?
Also, new air intake.
What else will make this truck a little bit more powerful, faster.
It can't void the WARRANTY!
Ideas, parts with links, anything is greatly appreciated guys I am new to the toyota truck family and lovin it so far thank you!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
STOCK!

The only thing you will gain is noise,

You will lose a lot of money and MPG because the mods you want to do arent set in the tune of the ECU.

Real question is why didnt you get a V6 if you want more power?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
skitheeast8 is on a distinguished road
skitheeast8's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't have the money for a V6 and liked the extra MPG.
I looked on other threads and people did put air intakes on the increase the HP of the 4cyl. I don't want a V6 I just want a little more power out of this.
Honesly I looked into exhaust systems and there arent really any over 500 bucks moneys not an issue i want the truck to sound loud and nice
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty much gonna sound ricey no matter which exhaust you choose. Loud is not always nice.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Your best bet would be to add LCE or Doug Thorley headers. You could also remove your secondary filter on your intake. From what I've read those two things seem to yield the most gains in performance.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
STOCK!

The only thing you will gain is noise,

You will lose a lot of money and MPG because the mods you want to do arent set in the tune of the ECU.

Real question is why didnt you get a V6 if you want more power?

Inless you really get into the motor, all the add ons basically are a waste of money.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Inless you really get into the motor, all the add ons basically are a waste of money.
I disagree, I haven't heard anyone who have put lce or doug Thorley header on their 2.7 complain.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitheeast8 View Post
I just got a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7 4cyl access cab.
Love the truck.
I want to put an aftermarket exhaust in it, make it louder and possibly add a little HP?
Don't want to get the ricey sound.
I heard the magnaflow was a good one...any other suggestions?
New with toyotas so suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated!
I'm looking mostly for noise, for the truck to sound like its gotta little more nuts than it does , but also possibly add some power?
Also, new air intake.
What else will make this truck a little bit more powerful, faster.
It can't void the WARRANTY!
Ideas, parts with links, anything is greatly appreciated guys I am new to the toyota truck family and lovin it so far thank you!
Edit: Oops... Disregard the message. Noticed your warranty issues. This part isn't smog legal either.

An LCEngineering header like this one arrives in a couple of days...

...and when it's installed I'll let you know how it works on my 2012 2.7 STD cab. I also have an LCE header on my 1996 2.4 and it works great.

Everything else is completely stock on the engine including a stock exhaust. I like to make just one mod at a time so as to be able to accurately assess how it works.

From what I've read here so far, the general recommendation is to keep the stock muffler as it helps the engine retain its low end torque.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
You cant reflash our ECU's so pretty much all mods will goto waste. The only thing you will gain would be like 15hp(IF that) and will cost you like $500-$600 to get there(True cold air intake from URD, not a POS k&n, headers and full exhaust).

The only people who say you gain power from removing the secondary air filter are butt dyno'd. No real dyno charts for proof.

Best plan= save the $500 now and save up for a custom front mount turbo kit.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
You cant reflash our ECU's so pretty much all mods will goto waste.
My experience with mods has been a little different. My bone stock 2012 Yaris made 91hp at the wheels, and with only bolt-on mods (SRI, throttle body, intake manifold, exhaust neader, and cat back exhaust), it now makes 110.7hp at the wheels on the dyno with just the stock ECU, 87 pump gas, no tuning, and without throwing any codes.

That's just under 22% more hp.

While I may not get that much increase from my base 2012 2.7 std cab... it'll sure be fun trying.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
SlowComa666 is on a distinguished road
SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
stock Toyota parts are not running 100% for air, ignition and fuel. there will always be an amount of allowable overhead, usually 10-15% if not more.

most "bolt-ons" will make gains up to a point, saying they will do nothing is just plain ignorance.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm satisfied with modest gains from tinkering around with bolt on accessories. My Taco is a daily driver, so it always needs to be 100%.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post
stock Toyota parts are not running 100% for air, ignition and fuel. there will always be an amount of allowable overhead, usually 10-15% if not more.

most "bolt-ons" will make gains up to a point, saying they will do nothing is just plain ignorance.
Sure, its like switching to 0W-20 full synthetic for fuel economy.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post

I have to drive up the same steep hill to get to my house every day. Now I don't need to press on the gas as much because the engine pulls more eagerly at low rpms. The header definitely increased low end power. I retained the stock muffler so as not to lose too much back pressure which reduces low end torque.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
EatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant futureEatMyTacomaDust has a brilliant future

Name: Johnny
EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I have to drive up the same steep hill to get to my house every day. Now I don't need to press on the gas as much because the engine pulls more eagerly at low rpms. The header definitely increased low end power. I retained the stock muffler so as not to lose too much back pressure which reduces low end torque.
Good to hear. Thanks for posting. The LCE Header mod is one I have been contemplating.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Edit: This part isn't smog legal either.

An LCEngineering header like this one arrives in a couple of days...

...and when it's installed I'll let you know how it works on my 2012 2.7 STD cab. I also have an LCE header on my 1996 2.4 and it works great.

Everything else is completely stock on the engine including a stock exhaust. I like to make just one mod at a time so as to be able to accurately assess how it works.

From what I've read here so far, the general recommendation is to keep the stock muffler as it helps the engine retain its low end torque.
Did this addition to your lil pickup throw any code(s)?

Curious how the header, without opening up the rest of the exhaust, was performing.

Insert popcorn emoticon here ---> X

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBow View Post
Did this addition to your lil pickup throw any code(s)?

Curious how the header, without opening up the rest of the exhaust, was performing.

Insert popcorn emoticon here ---> X

Thanks!
No, it didn't generate any codes. It utilizes all of the same smog equipment and pumps air to the exhaust ports through built in channels just like the stock header did.

I like the stock exhaust system because I want to preserve the low end torque. At only 2,000 rpm, even the capacity of the small stock exhaust is underutilized, so it's just fine. While going to a larger diameter exhaust would likely increase top end performance, it would decrease low end torque and the gas mileage would also decrease.

I also recently installed an Injen long runner warm air intake.

...and haven't driven it enough yet to know how it will affect the gas mileage. I'll be putting my truck on the dyno soon to get a baseline so I can compare it with future mods. I'll be posting the graph when it's done.

All of the bolt on mods can only make minor improvements, but when done together the small changes can add up.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitheeast8 View Post
Didn't have the money for a V6 and liked the extra MPG.
I looked on other threads and people did put air intakes on the increase the HP of the 4cyl. I don't want a V6 I just want a little more power out of this.
Honesly I looked into exhaust systems and there arent really any over 500 bucks moneys not an issue i want the truck to sound loud and nice
I feel I may have missed something, not sure.