Notices

Just picked up a 2006 Prerunner...

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
The Savage
Tikibeast is on a distinguished road
Tikibeast's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Tikibeast Send a message via Yahoo to Tikibeast
Just picked up a 2006 Prerunner...

Looking for some ideas as to where to start with the mods. I need it to remain pretty reasonable in the MPG area (hence why I bought the 2.7L). My main interests are increased power output and durability. I'm about to get a set of Wrangler SilentArmors for it which will settle my traction concerns (it came with Dunlop AT20 Grand Treks with almost no tread on them and even then this little truck handled the mountain snow and ice like it wasn't even there). So after the tires I'm looking at exhaust and probably intake (it has a K&N drop in) unless there's another direction I should be looking. One final though does anybody currently make a turbo/SC kit for the 2.7L? I've found some supercharges that say they match well with the motor but they aren't kits, no tubing, etc.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I'd start by removing the secondary air filter and looking at the AFE drop in, which is better than K&N IMO
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
The Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
I'd start by removing the secondary air filter and looking at the AFE drop in, which is better than K&N IMO
I'll have to look and see if it's been removed or not, does the secondary filter removal really show that much improvement or is it more of a sqeeze out every drop you can kind of deal?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
I'll have to look and see if it's been removed or not, does the secondary filter removal really show that much improvement or is it more of a sqeeze out every drop you can kind of deal?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...wer-boost.html

If I figure that the air filter removal is the cause of this, then I would say it shows vast improvement.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
The Savage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
URD is close to finishing the supercharger for us.

LCE is currently working on the turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...wer-boost.html

If I figure that the air filter removal is the cause of this, then I would say it shows vast improvement.
Good on both counts though I think I'd prefer the turbo route in the long run...

Have we found any solid evidence or numbers to support this? I ripped mine out the other day and I haven't noticed any major difference here.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good on both counts though I think I'd prefer the turbo route in the long run...

Have we found any solid evidence or numbers to support this? I ripped mine out the other day and I haven't noticed any major difference here.
I don't know..I pulled mine out as well, and didn't notice anything.