Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

best gear lube for rear diff

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
NACooner is on a distinguished road
NACooner's Tacoma Gallery
best gear lube for rear diff

I have an 01 with a 2.7, It has just over 100k, I drive about 60 miles a day, just wondering what you all prefer to run! Thanks.

Nac
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I have never changed mine, but Lucas Oil is probably good stuff.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go synthetic . I use M1 .
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I'd go synthetic . I use M1 .
x2, i just did mine with M1 75w-90. I wanted to use 75w-140, but didnt want to spend 20 bucks a quart.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
I think lucas is some of the best. i just used conventional not synthetic. not something your really going to tell a diffrence with. Especially since your supposed to change out every 30k miles. Not really worth the extra money for synthetic imo
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
I think lucas is some of the best. i just used conventional not synthetic. not something your really going to tell a diffrence with. Especially since your supposed to change out every 30k miles. Not really worth the extra money for synthetic imo
30k is a lot of miles, and a long ass time for some people. For me, it's about a year. I trust that synthetic will not break down like conventional will over that amount of time and miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic vavoline is what im runnin
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
synthetic you don't even get your diff hot enough to ulitilze the oil. Seems like a waste of money. I just used dino oil for my arb's.
I'm wondering though...I notice my roll distance and speed are affected on the cold morning start ups. With synthetics, resistance might be less on cold mornings. Just thinking out loud...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
I'm wondering though...I notice my roll distance and speed are affected on the cold morning start ups. With synthetics, resistance might be less on cold mornings. Just thinking out loud...
I am going to go ahead and guess that, that is because the grease in your wheel bearings is cold. It is actually a combination of all lubricants being cold and more viscous than at operating temps.

Full synthetic will more than likely not make a noticeable difference at all.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
I am going to go ahead and guess that, that is because the grease in your wheel bearings is cold. It is actually a combination of all lubricants being cold and more viscous than at operating temps.

Full synthetic will more than likely not make a noticeable difference at all.
For the first five miles the difference is huge when its below freezing. Dino oil is like tar at 10 degrees; synthetic will at least flow somewhat. If you want to see for yourself, try running dino lube through a hand pump when it's that cold. Darn near impossible. The synthetic will give you cramps but at least it will go through the hose.

In the summertime it won't be a big deal of difference but with it I still saw a small improvement in the overall mileage trend.

Personally I use Redline GL5, mostly because I'm already buying a bunch of MT-90 for the tranny and transfer case and I like to do them all at the same time.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
30k is a lot of miles, and a long ass time for some people. For me, it's about a year. I trust that synthetic will not break down like conventional will over that amount of time and miles.
Some trucks go their lifetime without getting their diff fluids changed, I wouldn't personally do it to a $30k truck..
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Some trucks go their lifetime without getting their diff fluids changed, I wouldn't personally do it to a $30k truck..
Mines been about 100k since I've changed it. A lot also depends on if you drive through water, mud, or sand.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Mines been about 100k since I've changed it. A lot also depends on if you drive through water, mud, or sand.
Oh and you don't do any of that do you?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
as an amsoil dealer i reccomend lucas i think 90-140 was the weight,

then again if you wanna spend some money you can always buy amsoil
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Master of None
Fifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
Fifthwind's Tacoma Gallery
I use Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil, since it has the best temperature rating. Up and down some steep hills with a half ton of mulch or stone and that diff gets H-O-T!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Oh and you don't do any of that do you?
Try not to.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
For the first five miles the difference is huge when its below freezing. Dino oil is like tar at 10 degrees; synthetic will at least flow somewhat. If you want to see for yourself, try running dino lube through a hand pump when it's that cold. Darn near impossible. The synthetic will give you cramps but at least it will go through the hose.

In the summertime it won't be a big deal of difference but with it I still saw a small improvement in the overall mileage trend.

Personally I use Redline GL5, mostly because I'm already buying a bunch of MT-90 for the tranny and transfer case and I like to do them all at the same time.
MIgander, TT,

Thanks for the responses. I suspect that moving to full synthetics (grease and oil) would help improve the cold morning starts and improve vehicle performance (MPGs). I'm at the point that I will need to do the lubing - already squeezed in synthetics into the Universals and driveshaft. Getting warmer now, so the real difference wont be known until next fall/winter...which is fine by me.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
At 30K, I went full syn. with all my oils. Rear diff was filled with Amsoil 75-90 Severe Gear Oil. Factory oil still looked great, like new. Manual tranny oil showed more wear in the color, but was only a medium tan and still good. Just as an FYI...