Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Cylinder misfire on 3 and 4

Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Rollout is on a distinguished road
Rollout's Tacoma Gallery
Cylinder misfire on 3 and 4

I got a 2000 2.4L tacoma and I'm having cylinder misfires, it seems to run completely fine but the check engine flasges from time to time. If I don't let my truck warm up it will stall if I put it into drive and don't touch the gas, and when Im sitting at a stop my truck revs super low and shakes the whole body and someone said that could be part of my cylinder misfire problem. Also i noticed at work when i was warming it up i can smell fumes real bad. Need some advice on how to repair it ASAP and yes I already did new plugs and wires. This is my first post so forgive me if I posted it in the wrong spot!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
RandomHero01 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Company Officer
RandomHero01's Tacoma Gallery
Try This

I had a 2001 4Runner with similar symptoms. From what I understand, you should absolutely not drive it when the CEL flashes. Try cleaning your MAF; look around here for a guide (maybe a nice guy will reference one below). I'd also try cleaning your throttle body and intake plenum; again referencing this site for a how-to. I cleaned my intake plenum with a 3M kit from my local napa store, because I'm not typically the "disassemble stuff" type.

These are two cheap and easy starts.

Also, should have started with this but, read your codes to see what they tell you too! Some auto parts stores do it free.

Good luck,

RH01

Disclaimer: I know nothing and my advice will probably lead to something unexpected...but maybe others will chime in and agree!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Rollout is on a distinguished road
Rollout's Tacoma Gallery
I think ill go with the MAF cleaning, I forgot to mention that I started to smell exhaust fumes really bad and from what I've read not enough air will cause it to run richer and you'll get bad exhaust fumes.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
ttora member since 2001
scootn2nature is on a distinguished road
scootn2nature's Tacoma Gallery
It s the front cat plugging up ............. very beggining stages

next will be a hesitation when ou step on the das eg getting on the freeway................it will feel like you forgot to turn the petcock on your motorcycle then bam away you go......

just my guess because it happenened to me and a couple others I know...........
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
gcoates is on a distinguished road
gcoates's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollout View Post
I got a 2000 2.4L tacoma and I'm having cylinder misfires, it seems to run completely fine but the check engine flasges from time to time. If I don't let my truck warm up it will stall if I put it into drive and don't touch the gas, and when Im sitting at a stop my truck revs super low and shakes the whole body and someone said that could be part of my cylinder misfire problem. Also i noticed at work when i was warming it up i can smell fumes real bad. Need some advice on how to repair it ASAP and yes I already did new plugs and wires. This is my first post so forgive me if I posted it in the wrong spot!
Same problem here,,,,,,,,,,,,, one day I put some ETOH Free gas,,,,,,,pure gas without any ETOH and my truck ran so smooth I hardly even knew the damn thing was running............. I could not believe it. Go online and type in PUREGAS & it will give you a list of stations in your area that have pure gas................. good luck
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
gcoates is on a distinguished road
gcoates's Tacoma Gallery
Put pure gas with out the ETOH and I notice a big big change in my 2003 toyota tacoma ( 4 banger ) I will never put anything else in it.................... go to PUREGAS and it will tell you where the closest place is to buy it !!!!! good luck.