Is this gas mileage correct?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
SportyHeretic is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Electronic Warfare
Name: Jeremy
SportyHeretic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdotz View Post
so the route I'm taking is: top it off from the instant the indicator lights up and write down the exact gallons in the tank to top off. Then drive until it goes off again. I can divide the total miles driven to the number of gallons in the tank I wrote down. This would be an accurate assessment.
Yep, and do it for a few tanks and average them, and thats your mpgs.

Side note, i noticed on the guage, the first 1/4 tank lasts a lot longer then any other quarter, almost like a 1/3.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyHeretic View Post
Yep, and do it for a few tanks and average them, and thats your mpgs.

Side note, i noticed on the guage, the first 1/4 tank lasts a lot longer then any other quarter, almost like a 1/3.
lol those pricks at the dealer told me they'd fill it up, but it was half way down from Full. Anyway, I talked them into giving me an alarm for free so whatever.

Also I guess the break in would average less, so I'm hoping that average would curve slightly up as you drive it. Anyone with first hand experience on that?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
you cant go off the needle.

get a full tank, reset your trip, go through it, fill up, when the gas nozzle stops you from filling, take the amount of gallons (18.7) as an example, divide it by the miles you got that trip.
^^^^^This!

Quote:
^^^This!

Quote:
lol those pricks at the dealer told me they'd fill it up, but it was half way down from Full. Anyway, I talked them into giving me an alarm for free so whatever.
Nice!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so the route I'm taking is: top it off from the instant the indicator lights up and write down the exact gallons in the tank to top off. Then drive until it goes off again. I can divide the total miles driven to the number of gallons in the tank I wrote down. This would be an accurate assessment.
No, top it off now.
Don't bother writing down anything. This is a "lost" tank. You must begin with a full tank. It doesn't matter if the light is on or not (I've seen my light maybe 5 times).

NEXT TIME you fill up (doesn't matter if the light is on or not), note the number of miles driven and how many gallons you bought.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No, top it off now.
Don't bother writing down anything. This is a "lost" tank. You must begin with a full tank. It doesn't matter if the light is on or not (I've seen my light maybe 5 times).

NEXT TIME you fill up (doesn't matter if the light is on or not), note the number of miles driven and how many gallons you bought.
x2

Otherwise you're starting from an unknown level of fuel. By starting with a full tank, the next time you fill you know exactly much fuel was added to get you back to where you started.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #26
Billyj870m9 is on a distinguished road
Billyj870m9's Tacoma Gallery
Also it depends on what kind of truck it is and what they have on it. I have noticed the lower 5 lug 2wd will normally get over 20 mpg on this site no propel.

I on the other hand have a sr5 4x4 6lug. It's pretty tall so the wind resistance is greater and the tires are bigger which means lower mpg. On average I get about 18mpg combined with everything I do. Summer is sometimes better because of the fuel mixture but the ac and idling negates much savings.

If you or I wanted to worry about mpg, a truck even a small one isnt the best thing. I would have gotten a Subaru if I wanted awd and gas mileage.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
billstickly1 is on a distinguished road
billstickly1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just drove out the showroom and I measured how much miles I can drive for quarter of a tank. from 3/4 to 1/2 tank I drove 85 miles.

I did the math. 85x4=340/21= 16.2mpg! does that sound right to you? Where did I go wrong?

I have a 2013 2.7 access 4x4 manual taco

can anyone help I'm kinda freaking out here about this.
you just went full herp dude
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
52 mph on the freeway the fuel economy is excellent, over 52 mph it really starts sucking fuel. Learn to Granny shift (all the time); there is zero point in revving this engine.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #29
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck except it's an '11.
Winter gas is a factor (it sucks).
From the day I bought it new until I put 33" tires on it it averaged 20MPG in the winter & 24MPG in the summer. And that was doing 75MPH 90% of the time 70MPH 5% of the time & 35MPH 5% of the time on 70 mile round trips.
I still got the same with a 3" lift on it.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #30
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
It's only rated 18 city, it's still breaking in, and your math is still probably off. check the mpg's after the first oil change. It should have evened out by then.
I4 not V4
Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #31

ok so my 2nd tank numbers are 23.699 mpg mixed driving mostly stop and go streets...i'll keep u posted.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #32
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
There you go, sounding better all the time... no?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #33
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where did I go wrong?
Each one of the sections on the fuel gauge does not represent the exact same quantity of fuel. As an example, after a fillup, I can go about 70 miles before the needle comes down to the full mark. So I drove 70 miles and my tank is still "full"? Witchcraft! But seriously, track your mileage between fillups, that's the most consistent way to know the tank is at the same level each time.

Quote:
ok so my 2nd tank numbers are 23.699 mpg mixed driving mostly stop and go streets...i'll keep u posted.
Much better.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds about right to me
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok i'll try filling up once the light turns on and noting the gallons on the pump. then divide the total miles by that number as you said.
If you do it that way it doesn't matter if you wait to the light. To get an accurate number you need to do this 3-4 times.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #36
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
52 mph on the freeway the fuel economy is excellent, over 52 mph it really starts sucking fuel. Learn to Granny shift (all the time); there is zero point in revving this engine.
True but not always. It is better when entering the freeway to go from 0-60 in 15 seconds than 30 seconds.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
go for a long drive somewhere, drive like a granny and accelerate slowly, no stop signs,
average speed 40-45, and calculated fillups.

tell me you do not get 21mpg, then you have a problem

21mpg is easy to get once you get 10 minutes away from the gas station and
drive 40-45mph no stops....

16MPG is quite normal running around town and doing errands, and also up and down hills

I constantly fill-up at the same pump same direction and program the scangauge
and I can get 21mpg average tank, 19-20, or as low as 14 it is all about how I decide
to drive and where I am driving. Average overall without trying is coming in at 17 or so,
but some tanks are 21.9 (all highway at 45-55mph) 21 (interstate 67mph) 19-14 bumming around town
and work commutes

FYI
hauling a dishwasher and dryer in the bed, boxes a bit above the cab, strapped in, my 21mpg interstate
drops to 17 from wind resistance and around 200lbs weight
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Each one of the sections on the fuel gauge does not represent the exact same quantity of fuel. As an example, after a fillup, I can go about 70 miles before the needle comes down to the full mark. So I drove 70 miles and my tank is still "full"? Witchcraft! But seriously, track your mileage between fillups, that's the most consistent way to know the tank is at the same level each time.

Much better.
Yah i just realized that i got 77 miles before the needle went to F. That bumped up my mpg calc. My last truck was a colorado, and it did the same thing. I'm satisfied with this figure. I will keep tabs on it and get an average down the line.