Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Is this gas mileage correct?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
yellowdotz is on a distinguished road

Name: SiNNeR
yellowdotz's Tacoma Gallery
Is this gas mileage correct?

I just drove out the showroom and I measured how much miles I can drive for quarter of a tank. from 3/4 to 1/2 tank I drove 85 miles.

I did the math. 85x4=340/21= 16.2mpg! does that sound right to you? Where did I go wrong?

I have a 2013 2.7 access 4x4 manual taco

can anyone help I'm kinda freaking out here about this.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
you cant go off the needle.

get a full tank, reset your trip, go through it, fill up, when the gas nozzle stops you from filling, take the amount of gallons (18.7) as an example, divide it by the miles you got that trip.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
you cant go off the needle.

get a full tank, reset your trip, go through it, fill up, when the gas nozzle stops you from filling, take the amount of gallons (18.7) as an example, divide it by the miles you got that trip.
you think it'll go up from there? 16 is horrible.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
driving habits, weather, break in period, alot of variables, but yes, 16 is what my v6 gets city, yours will get better
Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Most cars get lower mph during the break-in period, most Tacomas are rated 16 mpg city, and your math is probably off. If you're worried about getting mpg in the teens you shouldn't have gotten a Tacoma.
yah but it's a v4 2.7. the 6 bangers are advertized to get that in the city. I drove about 30% city 70%hwy not past 65mph.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
subaru of america
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdotz View Post
yah but it's a v4 2.7. the 6 bangers are advertized to get that in the city. I drove about 30% city 70%hwy not past 65mph.
once again the break in period is a huge factor and you also can not rely on the gas needle.

my truck, for example, the first quarter of the tank (according to the needle) i always get 150+- miles, but then once i hit that 3/4 quarter mark my needle goes down fast.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
once again the break in period is a huge factor and you also can not rely on the gas needle.

my truck, for example, the first quarter of the tank (according to the needle) i always get 150+- miles, but then once i hit that 3/4 quarter mark my needle goes down fast.
ok i'll try filling up once the light turns on and noting the gallons on the pump. then divide the total miles by that number as you said.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
my 4 banger gets that 16 in the frigid winter months. Last tank was 20 average with mixed driving
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
my 4 banger gets that 16 in the frigid winter months. Last tank was 20 average with mixed driving
good to know. here in SoCali weather is not a factor.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just drove out the showroom and I measured how much miles I can drive for quarter of a tank. from 3/4 to 1/2 tank I drove 85 miles.

I did the math. 85x4=340/21= 16.2mpg! does that sound right to you? Where did I go wrong?

I have a 2013 2.7 access 4x4 manual taco

can anyone help I'm kinda freaking out here about this.
hate to say it, i'm sure you'll get better than that - but you did buy a 4x4 truck known to get not that great mpg...
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
hate to say it, i'm sure you'll get better than that - but you did buy a 4x4 truck known to get not that great mpg...
yah..i just got this one because this particular model had better numbers reported on fuelly. I'm guessing I just can't go by how i measured it. I'm going to repost with the full tank counted from fill up to indicator light.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Vehicle gauges are not very accurate, you need to do as others have said. Fill up, keep track of miles, then fill up again. Doesnt matter what the level of the tank is.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok i'll try filling up once the light turns on and noting the gallons on the pump. then divide the total miles by that number as you said.
No...

Fill it up NOW.
You don't know how full the tank was when you drove off the lot. If it wasn't full, then your calculation will be invalid.

Go to the station now and top it off.
Reset the trip odometer.
Drive it for 200 or 300 miles, and top it off again.
NOW divide the odometer reading by the number of gallons used.
Reset the odometer and do it again.

Or... follow the link in my signature block and create a Fuelly account. You then text your total mileage, price, and gallons used to Fuelly and they track it for you and send a text back with your mileage on that tank.

You don't have to wait for the light to come on... the needle will be very close to or on "E" when that happens... and you'll still have about 3 gallons left.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
I get about 315 to 330 in town driving. Highway I can run 400 plus easily with more miles to the tank if I keep going.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
5-lug 2wd here... best tanks have been in the mid-25mpg range, worst tanks have been around 23.
Average is about 24.5 for the last year.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma gas gauges are just a ballpark guess. Compare my previous vs current tacoma:
start moving from full: 09 v6, 100 miles vs 07 4 cyl, 45 miles.
3/4 tank: 170 vs 135
1/2 tank: 230 vs 240
1/4 tank: both 330
typical mileage: 21 vs 24

Can't judge from the gauge at all.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Less of a factor

Quote:
good to know. here in SoCali weather is not a factor.
Weather there is rather stable as you point out. But, weather is a factor - just less so. Rain (when it does rain there) will make your tires sticky, create drag, and impact your MPGs.

It's early on yet. I suspect you'll be able to pull EPA estimates or better after you run a few tanks and note your driving habits and traffic. With the manual transmission, EPA should be easily achievable. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No...

Fill it up NOW.
You don't know how full the tank was when you drove off the lot. If it wasn't full, then your calculation will be invalid.

Go to the station now and top it off.
Reset the trip odometer.
Drive it for 200 or 300 miles, and top it off again.
NOW divide the odometer reading by the number of gallons used.
Reset the odometer and do it again.

Or... follow the link in my signature block and create a Fuelly account. You then text your total mileage, price, and gallons used to Fuelly and they track it for you and send a text back with your mileage on that tank.

You don't have to wait for the light to come on... the needle will be very close to or on "E" when that happens... and you'll still have about 3 gallons left.
so the route I'm taking is: top it off from the instant the indicator lights up and write down the exact gallons in the tank to top off. Then drive until it goes off again. I can divide the total miles driven to the number of gallons in the tank I wrote down. This would be an accurate assessment.