Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Burning Oil? Drained less than put in

Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Burning Oil? Drained less than put in

I have an '09 Tacoma with 91,000km on it. Yesterday when I did an oil change (after 8,000km with no top-ups), I noticed that I drained out approximately 0.7 litres/quarts less than I put in. I dumped the filter into the drain pan and let it mostly drain out, so I don't think it was holding much. So my question is, does the 2TR-FE block and oil system hold ~1/2 a quart you can't get out easily, or am I burning oil?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
All engines use some oil over the course of use. There is also no possible way besides a tear down to get all the oil you put in back out. I've drained as much as 4 1/2 qts after my first change after the factory fill. Yours seems very normal, so carry on. I'm also pretty sure that it takes 1/2 qt of oil just to coat the engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OK cool, thanks for the reply.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Where was it on the stick before draining? I always check that just for reference. (Actually, I also check at least every 500 miles.) As long as it doesn't pass below that bottom mark, you're golden.

x2 that it's impossible for a piston engine to not use at least a small amount of oil. Toyota says anything less than a quart in 600 miles is acceptable. Fortunately for us their motors tend to be FAR more frugal.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
It was about halfway between the marks on the dipstick before draining. That being said there has been discussion on this site about the dipstick marks being incorrect on the 4 cylinder.

I find the dipstick quite difficult to read as it always smears on the way up the tube. When the oil is new synthetic, it's nearly impossible for me to get a reliable reading.