Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

After market intake and exhaust or stock?

View Poll Results: What is best for MPG and power and 2nd gen 2.7L tacos
Leave it STOCK or you will anger the Toyota gods! 46 34.33%
Intake or filter only (sucking is better) 8 5.97%
Exhaust only (blowing is better) 12 8.96%
Exhaust and intake 35 26.12%
Both and headers! who doesn't love a good header? 33 24.63%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Edit......didn't relize this was 4cyl.

Wish the mobil skin showed a lil more info
Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the AFe stage 2 CAI that I won on a drawing on TW on my V6 for a couple of months now and by my seat of pants dyno it seems slightly stronger and mpg's haven't changed aside from the change from winter gas. I hate the timing of it since the fuel changing so it's been hard to tell on the mpg's. I drive easy and haven't noticed a difference one way or another. It does seem to pull hills slightly easier and have a little more power at wide open throttle which I hardly ever do.

I like it so far but must say since I won this intake that it wouldn't be worth the $300 that it retails for. I am however thinking about an exhaust to see if combined will make a difference. I'm not a fan of non V8 exhaust's so I will keep it mild if I do.

My input on a CAI alone is mostly for the sound with very minimal power gains and only a loss of mpg's unless you drive easy then no increase/loss.

And this is on a V6. It's been my understanding that as far as intakes or drop in aftermarket filters that the bigger the engine the more the noticeable gains.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Whitey taco woot woot
OffRoadAdam is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
OffRoadAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
I have the DT header, DT/Jardine exhaust and AFE drop in and I love the sound but personally I think I hurt the gas mileage if anything
What did that setup run you if you dont mind me asking? the headers aint cheap!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #24
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadAdam View Post
What did that setup run you if you dont mind me asking? the headers aint cheap!
Bought the header from the group buy. It him was like15-20 %off. Then the exhaust was new but off someone on here who bought it And didn't use it. Think I paid like 150 but then 100 or more to ship. Can't buy them anymore though they don't make them.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
PowerMullet is on a distinguished road

Name: Brennan
PowerMullet's Tacoma Gallery
hey so my Tacoma has literally been falling apart since i bought it two years ago. It only has 58,000 on it, but i just replaced the fan clutch and the exhaust manifold gasket. Unfortunately the exhaust leak has gotten worse, and i'm about to go out there and take the manifold off again and take it to a machine shop, that's all i know to do and that's what the haynes repair manual says.
I'm interested in these Doug Thorley headers and if they actually work, the 4 banger needs more juice but i don't want to waste money on a part that may or may not work. If the manifold needs work i might just get the headers. I saw something about a discount for TW members?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
WOW that is literally falling apart alright.

Welcome.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #27
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
After running a Magnaflow for about a week until the sound bothered me, I went back to the stock muffler with a shortened pipe. Ah, quiet again...

Couldn't tell any gas mileage difference, as there weren't enough miles driven.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
aznvtaco is a jewel in the roughaznvtaco is a jewel in the roughaznvtaco is a jewel in the rough
aznvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i didn't get the 4 for power and sound...if someday i want more power, i'd prefer to save the money on mods and just get the V6 someday. The amount of xtra power received from mods is minimal and you'd have to drive many many miles to actually break even on the money spent for saving mpg's. just my 2 cents
Old 05-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #29
district 5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Del
district 5's Tacoma Gallery
IMO as far as exhausts go, the OEM is pretty good in terms in providing sufficient flow. Keep in mind that Toyota used the same diameter piping for the exhaust for the I4 and V6 tacomas (for second gen anyway). The "restriction", if any, will probably come from the muffler which i believe still flows fairly well. Changing out exhaust systems may have helped performance 10-15 years ago but recently many car manufacturers have been trying to squeeze performance out of their engines to provide the best gas mileage. So if there is any mpg or performance gains when changing exhausts, I believe it will be minimal. As for intake, second filter removal maybe? Or maybe I'm like an old man and love stock quiet trucks
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #30
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I added a header but kept the quiet stock exhaust. Just ordered this Injen intake...

...and will post a review once it's been run long enough to form an opinion of it.

It's on the truck now...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
pklintworth is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
pklintworth's Tacoma Gallery
i have an injen tuned cold air intake and a magnaflow exhaust wich is droped right under the engin and its great dident hurt the millage at all thing it appoved it some untill i got my tires
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #32
pklintworth is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
pklintworth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I added a header but kept the quiet stock exhaust. Just ordered this Injen intake...

...and will post a review once it's been run long enough to form an opinion of it.

It's on the truck now...

the injen cool air intake works perfectly one of the best cold air intakes ive ever had
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #33
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm totally happy with my Injen even though it's not technically a cold air intake. When the truck is moving, the engine compartment is flooded with ambient temperature air so I don't think it's really much of an issue.

I got it because it only attaches in two places: to the throttle body, and to one rubber mount threaded post. This is perfect so that when I'm experimenting with the intake manifold spacer it will be really easy to move around along with the relocated throttle body.

Also happy going back to the stock muffler as the low end torque returned.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #34
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Bingo.

If you want to mod the sound, then put a nice Magnaflow on it, but seriously... it's a 4-banger. It's never going to sound like a V8. A louder exhaust will just make it sound like a pissed off go-cart.

The intake, exhaust, or both are not going to make any changes in power or MPG... they generally hurt MPG because you tend to lead-foot to hear the new sound.

haha.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

So with bolt-on mods, MPG is never helped. It most often results in loss because the new mods sound so much cooler when the engine is pushed a bit.
You're right, Rich.
I lost low end torque when I changed the stock muffler so I put it back on again and will keep it on because I found out by experience that the exhaust system needs some backpressure for good low rpm torque. The engine only turns 2,000 on the freeway at 60mph anyways, so the stock exhaust system is nowhere close to being overtaxed in normal driving.

The intake? Well, that's just for fun...
At 36 inches it's the longest 2.7 intake made and makes a neater sound than any exhaust ever could when you get on the gas.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #36
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
What does adding a CAI do to warranty? What about the AFE Pro Dry system I keep hearing about? I would like to add a drop in filter or something like that but feel like my money would be better spent with some 5100's and a 2" AAL for better towing capacity and looks. ha ha.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #37
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
intake wont change crap
exhaust wont noticeably change crap
headers might make a tiny crappy change
Oh crap! I thought it would
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #38
AL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shedAL W is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
AL W's Tacoma Gallery
CAI and Magnaflow Exhaust mods

I traded a 2001 GMC Sonoma, 4.3l, V-6 for my Taco. I put a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust system on the Sonoma but for almost $700 I got zero increase in mileage and I did not feel any improvement in power. It did sound good at wide open throttle and the exhaust sounded best at idle. I'll be leaving my Taco stock.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznvtaco View Post
i didn't get the 4 for power and sound...if someday i want more power, i'd prefer to save the money on mods and just get the V6 someday. The amount of xtra power received from mods is minimal and you'd have to drive many many miles to actually break even on the money spent for saving mpg's. just my 2 cents
That's my plan eventually. Or if its available by that time, diesel!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
intake wont change crap
exhaust wont noticeably change crap
headers might make a tiny crappy change
The LCE header actually made a pretty good change on my 2.7. In combination with the stock exhaust, it not only increased the torque peak, it also lowered that peak from 3,800 rpm down to 3,150 rpm on the dyno.