Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

After market intake and exhaust or stock?

View Poll Results: What is best for MPG and power and 2nd gen 2.7L tacos
Leave it STOCK or you will anger the Toyota gods! 46 34.33%
Intake or filter only (sucking is better) 8 5.97%
Exhaust only (blowing is better) 12 8.96%
Exhaust and intake 35 26.12%
Both and headers! who doesn't love a good header? 33 24.63%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
sciencerabbit is on a distinguished road

Name: John
sciencerabbit's Tacoma Gallery
After market intake and exhaust or stock?

Alright so I have seen all kinds of opinions on here about what is best for mpg and power. Some people say that Toyota knows best and to not touch it, some that bolting on a few more parts can make a world of difference. I have seen self proclaimed mechanics take both sides!

So here it is:

What is the best for MPG and power when it comes to 2nd gen 4 bangers?

smack talk all you want but the poll is what matters.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
I've got JBA headers and exhaust, with Volant Cold Air intake. I love it. Notice-able power gain as well as gas mileage. I don't have any numbers for you, but I love my modifications. Sounds great, runs fantastic, and I'm very glad I did it.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I would throw on a mild sounding exhaust though so its not quiet though.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
intake wont change crap
exhaust wont noticeably change crap
headers might make a tiny crappy change
Bingo.

If you want to mod the sound, then put a nice Magnaflow on it, but seriously... it's a 4-banger. It's never going to sound like a V8. A louder exhaust will just make it sound like a pissed off go-cart.

The intake, exhaust, or both are not going to make any changes in power or MPG... they generally hurt MPG because you tend to lead-foot to hear the new sound.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

I would love to see dino readings or other hard data on this stuff. All the parts websites swear by them, but duh they want to make money.

Personally, I'm not touching anything till my warranty is up. After that who knows? I got the 4 banger for the MPGs so if there is something out there worth while I'm game.

Anyone out there a real life mechanic with knowledge on this stuff?

My daddy always said that you push more air to burn more gas, so more hp less mpg. But then again, my daddy was regularly full of shit.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Traction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic, Search and Rescue, Wildland Firefighting
Name: Nathan
Traction120's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
intake wont change crap
X2
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
intake wont change crap
I went for a tiny crappy change with a really nice header.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencerabbit View Post
My daddy always said that you push more air to burn more gas, so more hp less mpg. But then again, my daddy was regularly full of shit.
Simple physics.
Air:fuel = 12:1, 24:2, 48:4, 96:6....

MPG won't be helped. Now, worse? Depends on the driver.
You are not changing the volumetric efficiency of the engine. At 2000 RPM the engine is still drawing the same amount of air and fuel when at the same load level. If you push the engine for more HP, then it will burn more fuel unless you improve the engine's volumetric efficiency through timing, compression, or chamber design (again, simple physics).

So with bolt-on mods, MPG is never helped. It most often results in loss because the new mods sound so much cooler when the engine is pushed a bit.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #10

^^^ Well that might be one of the smartest things I have read on taco world.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Do not install a K&N filter... my only words of wisdom
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
So with bolt-on mods, MPG is never helped. It most often results in loss because the new mods sound so much cooler when the engine is pushed a bit.
I'm a sucker for a cool sound.
It's like playing cards on the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
any of the mods you listed will be for fancy noise and look only. if you want performance get a sports car.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Doug Throley Headers for the 2.7's add 12 HP and about 11 lbs of TQ. Not bad at all for a 4 banger.

Besides that, and Intake will be the best dollar per HP gained. The exhaust is mainly just sound until you do headers. Start front the front and work your way back. No sense in doing exhaust first if it's being restricted by air intake and the headers.

We have headers in stock and a pretty good deal with the TW discount. Can PM me for pricing if you want.

Dyno sheet for them

http://dougthorleyheaders.com/produc.../productID/928
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda same as above, but works with other add on's.

http://sdhqoffroad.com/unichipplugandplay.aspx
Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #17

Can't a guy ask a question around here just for the sake of knowing? Read my post above. I'm not doing anything to my truck for a long time. I am just curious about what works and what doesn't.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Rich91710;6805358]Simple physics.
Air:fuel = 12:1, 24:2, 48:4, 96:6....
QUOTE]

Quote:
^^^ Well that might be one of the smartest things I have read on taco world.
Really...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
I have the DT header, DT/Jardine exhaust and AFE drop in and I love the sound but personally I think I hurt the gas mileage if anything
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This time your daddy was not full of shit.