1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think I want to trade my 02 DC for A reg. cab and fzj80. Any advice

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by cmoor29, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    cmoor29

cmoor29 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 dbl cab trd 4x4
    tundra 17" wheels and rubicon 255 75 17 bfgs
    I have come to the conclusion that you can't have the best of both worlds, so I think I need to buy the best in both worlds (and 1 for any other world I can think of). At one point I had a 95 4cyl 5speed 4x4, best truck ever for 2 people. I moved from Nebraska to Oregon and knowing I would be giving tours to friends from back home got a 91 fj80. Perfect for showing the sights (road or no road) but not a good DD/weekend rig (10 mpg at best).I have a 02 trd 4x4 taco limited with a nice canopy and about 130k on the ticker. It an awsome truck but its a little to long, the bed is a little to short, it will only seat 5 (and my friends are having kids) and I miss shifting my own gears.

So, here is my plan sell my DC, sell the cummins 4bt that is in my garage that I will never get around to putting in anything. Come up with a budget of around $16,000 give or take depending on what I find. Buy 1 fzj80 with factory lockers and under 200k should run $4500-$9000 depending (tour service), and buy 1 4cyl 5speed 4x4 taco (For the 2 or less person weekly adventures/gear shifting fix). This is where I need the advice. What years are the best? 1st gen vs 2nd gen? What are they worth with 100-150k on them? what problems should I look for? In a perfect world I would like to find a low miles truck with alot of hail damage or other cosmetic problems with a well cared for drive train, as long as the doors close and it drives straight I don't care.
    I appreciate any input, even you just think I have mental health problems.
    (I need to mention that I also have a 95 dodge cummins (beater), a 03 drz400 (i ride 95% of the time) and my wife has a Subi outback (no low range, only seats 5, 30+mpg hwy) she doesn't always understand my quest for the ultimate garage.

2. May 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    Why don't you just get a minivan with three rows of seats for all those people you like to cart around and their kids?

Products Discussed in

To Top