Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

I think I want to trade my 02 DC for A reg. cab and fzj80. Any advice

Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
cmoor29 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
cmoor29's Tacoma Gallery
I think I want to trade my 02 DC for A reg. cab and fzj80. Any advice

I have come to the conclusion that you can't have the best of both worlds, so I think I need to buy the best in both worlds (and 1 for any other world I can think of). At one point I had a 95 4cyl 5speed 4x4, best truck ever for 2 people. I moved from Nebraska to Oregon and knowing I would be giving tours to friends from back home got a 91 fj80. Perfect for showing the sights (road or no road) but not a good DD/weekend rig (10 mpg at best).I have a 02 trd 4x4 taco limited with a nice canopy and about 130k on the ticker. It an awsome truck but its a little to long, the bed is a little to short, it will only seat 5 (and my friends are having kids) and I miss shifting my own gears.

So, here is my plan sell my DC, sell the cummins 4bt that is in my garage that I will never get around to putting in anything. Come up with a budget of around $16,000 give or take depending on what I find. Buy 1 fzj80 with factory lockers and under 200k should run $4500-$9000 depending (tour service), and buy 1 4cyl 5speed 4x4 taco (For the 2 or less person weekly adventures/gear shifting fix). This is where I need the advice. What years are the best? 1st gen vs 2nd gen? What are they worth with 100-150k on them? what problems should I look for? In a perfect world I would like to find a low miles truck with alot of hail damage or other cosmetic problems with a well cared for drive train, as long as the doors close and it drives straight I don't care.
I appreciate any input, even you just think I have mental health problems.
(I need to mention that I also have a 95 dodge cummins (beater), a 03 drz400 (i ride 95% of the time) and my wife has a Subi outback (no low range, only seats 5, 30+mpg hwy) she doesn't always understand my quest for the ultimate garage.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you just get a minivan with three rows of seats for all those people you like to cart around and their kids?