Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Knocking on cold mornings

Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
Yotajoe01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Yotajoe01's Tacoma Gallery
I have been cranking it about ten-fifteen mins b4 i leave for work in the mornings. The knocking goes away quickly. I'm just tired of having to give it special attention. Luckily I live in Mississippi where its rarely cooler than 60 degrees between March and October. Like I said from the beginning, I just wish I knew how to solve the problem. I mean it's a Toyota, I'm not use to problems.
Speaking of special treatment, a remote start would make it much more convenient to start in the am. Walking out in the garage in my bare feet when it 30 degrees is not my Idea of a good start to the day.
Any ideas on a remote start system???
Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #22
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
my 2000 2.7 does that on colder mornings.it used to scare the crap outta me when i first heard it (my girl drives the taco and didnt mention it to me when it started doing it) i upped the oil to 10w30 and the noise went away a bit. i have also read about it being a hairline crack in the header and when it gets warmed up, the metal expands and closes the crack. but it sound like its coming from the motor. it does go away though
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #23
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, to me it just sounds like you havent built enough oil pressure by the time you take off... remember that the colder it gets the thicker your oil will be, so as someone mentioned before just give it a few seconds or minutes to warm up and give your oil enough time to reach the top of your engine.... choosing a different oil may help speed the process up...
if your truck does alot of short trips, that could be contributing to the severity over the years...

as retarded as it may sound i always let my engine in my 95 warm up for 10 to 30 minutes before taking off unless im in a hurry.... plus its like 20 degrees and im a sissy and want my truck toasty when i get in...lol
Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #24
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
I Have an 09 4 cyl up in fairbanks alaska in dead winter it gets -50 to -60 I noticed the tick, but it goes away after a min or so. I have a block heater,oil pan heater on it. Its great I go out early morning -50 and my 4 cyl toyota starts right up like a champ. The dude in the ford is stuck turning it over 3 or 4 times before he gets a crank. The Tacoma's a good truck, I've always like them.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
MMumau is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airman
Name: Matt
MMumau's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having a simliar noise, was told it could be a worn timing chain, a problem in only 01's when the chain is cold it slaps agains a little flapper in the housing...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
keebler94 is on a distinguished road
keebler94's Tacoma Gallery
01 taco knock

I have an 01 Taco 4x4 xtra cab that I bought new. Its got 250,000 on it now. if its under 40 degrees and I start it and let it idle a minute it sounds like its gonna throw a rod when you take off. it sounds fine sitting there idling but just as soon as you give it gas it sounds awful! It sounds so bad there is no way you would take off in a hurry. If I let it warm up for ten minutes on those cold nights it is fine. It has been doing this for the past 5 years!
I would like to get it fixed but at this point I dont know if it would be worth it.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
This is what my 2012 sounds like when its cold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNur_7zd6Ec
Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #28
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
Could also be worn timing chain guides
My 09" does this, and it only has 47k on it.

Some here have said it could be a cheap oil filter.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #29
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed my oil a few days ago and used a toyota filter and the knock is a lot less noticeable. I had a mobile 1 filter on it when it sounded loud. The only reason I used the mobile 1 filter is because it was free with the mobile 1 oil. Just bought 4 toyota filters to keep on hand.