Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

bad cat do i need to replace or leave it off???

Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
beckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nice

beckleyota's Tacoma Gallery
bad cat do i need to replace or leave it off???

Well my cat on my 07 2.7 stopped up tonight so I went to a friend's and cut it off. Sure enough the guts were falling appart, so I put a pice of pipe in its place for now cel won't go off but it runs better than ever. Should I leave it off or do I need to replace it???
Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Up to you....you will loose MPG'S and the tree huggers will get mad, but I've ran several cars without them.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
beckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nice

The check.engine light is what bothers me the most
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Bump
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Someplaces you have to have a cat. You can get fined if you don't have one. Check your local laws, see if there's anything about emissions.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Up to you....you will loose MPG'S and the tree huggers will get mad, but I've ran several cars without them.
I am not a tree huger at all, but yeah, I do happen to concern myself with the air that my grandchildren are breathing.

I would recommend replacing the cat. Your truck's performance level will actually be better because the computer is designed to take into account the fact that there is a catalytic converter installed. The exhaust flow through a functional catalytic converter is sufficient for good engine operation.

OP mentioned concern over the CEL light. While they DO have "false" O2 sensor generators, and some places also sett a "bung" that pulls the post O2 sensor out of the airflow and tricks the computer into thinking that all is good. The PROPER way to do the repair is to replace the bad cat with a good replacement. At my shop I flat refuse to remove a factory cat and run it open.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
I know that here, at least, you have to have a cat. When I thought mine was bad, I contemplated pulling the guts out of it and just slapping its shell back under my truck, because there was no way I could afford another one. Thankfully, that was not the case for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Well the local dealer doesn't want to warrenty it under the 8 year 80thousand mile emissions warrenty I'm really upset with Toyota right now and how they have handled this hole deal. I as a customer should never be talked town to and belittled. If this warrenty falls thru I'm probably going to get rid of the truck and go to something else
Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckleyota View Post
Well the local dealer doesn't want to warrenty it under the 8 year 80thousand mile emissions warrenty I'm really upset with Toyota right now and how they have handled this hole deal. I as a customer should never be talked town to and belittled. If this warrenty falls thru I'm probably going to get rid of the truck and go to something else
That sucks man!! I HATE DEALERSHIPS!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well if you are under the 8 year 80k miles. and dealer wont do it. maybe call toyota corp? from what i have read it seams like some dealers donít want to do it. and or lie about stuff. but as soon as toyota corp gets called they jump on it and do it really fast. also if you have facebook, most dealers have a page now a days. say something about them not wanting to do it, and it expect a call from the dealer.

this is just what i have read about working. the 2 main dealers around here do great work. at least I think they do because we have never had a problem. and right now we have 6 toyotas in a family of 5. and parents and brothers have had others in the past.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Cat issues

Miller, why would removing it reduce MPG?
Bama, if removed, why would it reduce power,etc? I thought a free flowing exhaust(to a point), would increase power.
Beck, i believe a cat is a fed mandated emission device that is supposed to be on the truck. It will not pass at your next inspection test. Find a junk one, or replace with a high performance unit. Ive been told the aftermarket high pro is the way to go.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #12

It will reduce you mpg because your computer is going to not be mixing your fuel/air correct. When you take a cat off the CEL will stay on and it will get worse MPG's.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
No cat

Miller, has anyone actually tried this?
The only reason im asking is because i dont beleive when the government tells me thats what will happen.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yet another reason I don't buy extended warranties. far too often they don't cover what breaks.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Beckle,
Your cat replacement is covered by a fed mandated 8/80k warranty.
Call toyota corp & tell them what the dealer tried to do.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
Beckle,
Your cat replacement is covered by a fed mandated 8/80k warranty.
Call toyota corp & tell them what the dealer tried to do.
I've cut cats off a few cars(no inspection in ky) it really does make the MPG's go down. I I had a mustang GT I took them off but It was tuned for them gone and it did help it alot

But yes unless you tune a newer car without a cat, the computer will try and make up for the emissions. Just like a bad O2 sensor will hurt MPGs but not much. Pretty sure it makes the run a little rich.