Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4 Cly: any real reason to buy 6 lug Pre-runner over 5 lug Old Man Truck

Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I'd have a 4x4 even if I lived in Phoenix where it never snows. I couldn't be without it here in Montana, everything has 4 wheel drive here and PreRunners and 5 lugs are a rare sighting.
And I'd have it too if I could but sometimes you have to compromise. I literally could NOT find a 4x4 here that wasn't outrageously priced. Settled for the prerunner with plans to do a swap when I'm not in college
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
My 5 lug with 60K on the original LE's had no problems during the 3- 12"+ snows this past winter. Back in 1993 my 91 old man Toyota PU went through anything mother nature could throw at it, several foot plus snows. It isn't so much what you drive, its how you drive. Sure the 4x4 will do a better job, but is not necessary. And it sure is nice to be able to get stuff out of the bed without climbing into the bed.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
My 5 lug with 60K on the original LE's had no problems during the 3- 12"+ snows this past winter. Back in 1993 my 91 old man Toyota PU went through anything mother nature could throw at it, several foot plus snows. It isn't so much what you drive, its how you drive. Sure the 4x4 will do a better job, but is not necessary. And it sure is nice to be able to get stuff out of the bed without climbing into the bed.
65K on my 5-lug in Colorado and I've always managed to get where I need to go. And I can scrape the windshield with 2 feet on the ground.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #24
MJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud ofMJR has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Mickey
MJR's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for feedback.
First of all: what is [OP]? And no I am not a troll. Just looking for advice from those that own them. I drive 4 or 5 different 4 dr, 6 cly, 2 or 4 wheel drive Tacos a year (just not a fan of Tundra (( to big)) as I am in a dealership and don't own a car/truck. Why am I asking: we never have "old man trucks" to put in demo so no way to drive for a good feel. When I retire I will get a Taco and it will be for on the paved road only and for the very most part only hauling will be 2 or 3 times a year topsoil for the yard. I like that you can reach into the full bed on the lower truck, like the better gas mpg and have no problem with the look of truck. My question will the ride be better, will it have enough power (from always having the power), will it handle mountans should i want to take it to CO in summer, not to just pay the extra and get SR5 6 cly 2 wd. Not interested in going to TRDs like I drive now. So I am asking the same questions you ask. If I could get a 6 cly SR5 old man truck I would have no question.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #25
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP = Original Poster, you should see it next to your name on the left.

Mine has all the power I need in CO.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #26
jtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nicejtye is just really nice

Name: John
jtye's Tacoma Gallery
I got the base 4x2 regular cab and just put 235/75 tires on the stock rims. Still gets great gas mileage, but the new tires fill up the wheel wells nicely.

here's a pic

Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
Maineiack is on a distinguished road

Maineiack's Tacoma Gallery
umm 4x4?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
Pre runner for sure, unless you need 4x4.

Unfortunately in Canada you can't get it.
If you want the ride height and look, it's a 4x4 here

If you can get 4 cyl in a prerunner, the mileage is worth it over the v6.
I'd test drive both to see if you like the 4 cyl performance. My last taco was a 4 cyl and I found it decent. However the v6 is pretty perky, and the trailer towing specs are a lot higher.

Engine size would depend on needs, personal preference, mpg.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coma09 View Post
Unfortunately in Canada you can't get it.
If you want the ride height and look, it's a 4x4 here
You must be the only one, Toyota knows better than you.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtye View Post
I got the base 4x2 regular cab and just put 235/75 tires on the stock rims. Still gets great gas mileage, but the new tires fill up the wheel wells nicely.

here's a pic

Looks really nice.

If you are calculating gas mileage, you're actually doing better than you think because the larger circumference of your tires is making your speedo/odo read 7.35% low. So you're actually going more than 7% farther than the odometer indicates.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #31
yotacoma1785 is on a distinguished road
yotacoma1785's Tacoma Gallery
2002 sr5 with 2.7 L 5 speed on 31 x 10.5

Have 31 mud terrains has terrible mpgs and rough ride but the truck can handle whatever u throw at it and its 6 lug
Attached Thumbnails
4 Cly: any real reason to buy 6 lug Pre-runner over 5 lug Old Man Truck-cam01125.jpg   4 Cly: any real reason to buy 6 lug Pre-runner over 5 lug Old Man Truck-cam01126.jpg   4 Cly: any real reason to buy 6 lug Pre-runner over 5 lug Old Man Truck-cam01127.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #32
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotacoma1785 View Post
Have 31 mud terrains has terrible mpgs and rough ride but the truck can handle whatever u throw at it and its 6 lug
Welcome to TW, yota.

It's a good vehicle marketing practice to offer a wide variety of models so as to satisfy peoples' different purposes.

Greg
Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #33
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
I went the old man route and have no regrets....but then I am an old man, so that may explain it! Ride is very nice, and I can't over emphasize that like 91r100gs said in his post, that low bed height is very nice. I never considered that when I bought the truck, but wouldn't trade it now for a higher truck.....but that probably relates to being an old man too.

But unlike Worthywads, I'm very happy with my 4 speed auto behind my 2.7 and wouldn't change that either.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
I went the old man route and have no regrets....but then I am an old man, so that may explain it! Ride is very nice, and I can't over emphasize that like 91r100gs said in his post, that low bed height is very nice. I never considered that when I bought the truck, but wouldn't trade it now for a higher truck.....but that probably relates to being an old man too.

But unlike Worthywads, I'm very happy with my 4 speed auto behind my 2.7 and wouldn't change that either.
Hey Pick... I'm an old man, too.
And my old man 5 lug makes a perfect work truck.
Cheap to own and cheap to drive.

Greg
Old 11-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
dafloydboy will become famous soon enough

Name: M.L. Evans
dafloydboy's Tacoma Gallery
I miss my 5 luger 27 mpg but it rode like a marshmellow, my pre runner rides very good with the help of some bilstien shocks 22 mpg solid.