Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

TSB performed on 2011 (2.7) Prerunner double cab ...Did they use the wrong springs?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
TSB performed on 2011 (2.7) Prerunner double cab ...Did they use the wrong springs?

I just had the rear leaf spring TSB performed on a 2011 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 Non TRD 2.7 w/auto trans. I picked up the vehicle after the service department closed for the day and noticed they did replace the rear leafs but the new springs used are also 3-leaf...

This dealership was very confused about whether or not the TSB would even apply to the vehicle and required Toyota Corp tell them several times that this was a covered expense and did apply to my vehicle. Anyway after the third time of dropping the vehicle off at dealership they scheduled the TSB to replace the springs. The part number for the original rear leaf spring was stamped or painted on with lettering of CHI 48220-04191 LH , I only took picture of one side so can't recall the spring identification of other side.

The new 3 leaf spring that they installed has a sticker as i highlighted in bold as follows:
Driver side - Spring Assy FR LH 48210-35A40
Passenger side - Spring Assy LH 48220-35040

The vehicle is Exactly the same ride height as with the old springs (35 1/4") and exhibits no more firmness than the original set of 3 leaf springs. Are the above parts they used both for the left side? LH?

I need to be 100% sure of the correct part numbers for this vehicle, the dealer will say anything to push this over. I will need to call Toyota to support this but first need to be accurate with the correct part numbers for the vehicle specific springs.

I have the TSB http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...sb-0359-10.pdf and on page 3 it shows parts information (old and new) but and they definitely don't match what's been installed on my vehicle.

The parts may be slightly different for non TRD and model specific... if you have the 4 cylinder double cab Non TRD auto it would be a tremendous help if you could confirm the spring part numbers after a successful TSB, I have heard that some are being performed with a 3 leaf TSB with added support (instead of a 4 leaf upgrade).

I have not loaded the vehicle so can't say for sure if it sags or has a harsh ride.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't even know there was a 4 cylinder double cab prerunner made that year

The TSB leafs should be 3 leafs and an overload so 4 leafs total.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I have a 2013 Prerunner 4cyl, access cab and I have a rear spring harsh ride. I guess the issue never got fixed.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
Well, I have a 2013 Prerunner 4cyl, access cab and I have a rear spring harsh ride. I guess the issue never got fixed.
The TSB was not for a harsh ride. The TSB is for sagging and weak springs... which will make a nice smooth ride.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
The TSB clearly says harsh ride at the top
Attached Thumbnails
TSB performed on 2011 (2.7) Prerunner double cab ...Did they use the wrong springs?-image.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back..show them the tsb and underline the part numbers... They didn't do the upgrade
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Anybody... With the 2011 2.7 double cab auto Prerunner SR5 (non TRD) here that has done this TSB?

Toyota Corp verified the parts used against the TSB and confirmed they were wrong. However, said I need to go back to same dealer since they put them in... another dealer was not an option. Basically getting the runaround from Toyota referring me back to the dealer, when i contacted them (the dealer) they said the parts used for the install are the the ones they were advised to use by Technical region advisor for my vin which applies to my truck (and the only spring that would fit model and year vehicle)

Somebody that has to have this model truck with the 4 Leaf TSB completed. Please take a photo of the 4-leaf springs installed, they are stamped on the bottom and the stickers (on top) these newer truck label stickers weather well and are usually readable for quite some time.. Don't necessarily need a picture (just LH/RH part numbers) but when i take photo it allows me to better remember at the time I'm posting.

On a good note, the dealer installed the Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks and toy tec 1/4" driver side lean spacer (for a cost of course) - Perfect look and rides good. I supplied the spacer and shocks (I also preset them to .85) . It raised the front nicely, the driver side front now sits at 35 4/16" and passenger front is at 35. 9/16" (full of fuel measurement). Even with the lean spacer its just 1/16 low o just about even up front now. I'm glad I stayed at the .85 setting on the front shock absorbers. I think even on the lowest stock setting it would have raised the vehicle because the Bilstien's shocks are longer than the factory shocks. Since the TSB is in hodge podge state and new rear springs made a zero increase (in height). The truck is completely level now with no rake. My intention was to put the 5100s on the front to compensate for the 1" rear 4 leaf pack lift. Hopefully once this is straightened out the truck will have a slight rake gain.

No alignment changes were performed at time of TSB, they actually forgot to do an alignment, when I picked it up I requested the supposedly included TSB 4-wheel alignment, no service advisors were there (it was after 5pm) The porter pulled it forward (in the service bay), clipped on the electronic hubs to all 4 wheels and hit Print! Within 45 seconds a $99 alignment was performed, she gave me the printed page and said if it were out of alignment it would flash red. Ohh brother... Not the alignment I imagined or like the TSB pages described.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
Anybody... With the 2011 2.7 double cab auto Prerunner SR5 (non TRD) here that has done this TSB?

Toyota Corp verified the parts used against the TSB and confirmed they were wrong. However, said I need to go back to same dealer since they put them in... another dealer was not an option. Basically getting the runaround from Toyota referring me back to the dealer, when i contacted them (the dealer) they said the parts used for the install are the the ones they were advised to use by Technical region advisor for my vin which applies to my truck (and the only spring that would fit model and year vehicle)

Somebody that has to have this model truck with the 4 Leaf TSB completed. Please take a photo of the 4-leaf springs installed, they are stamped on the bottom and the stickers (on top) these newer truck label stickers weather well and are usually readable for quite some time.. Don't necessarily need a picture (just LH/RH part numbers) but when i take photo it allows me to better remember at the time I'm posting.

On a good note, the dealer installed the Bilstien 5100 adjustable shocks and toy tec 1/4" driver side lean spacer (for a cost of course) - Perfect look and rides good. I supplied the spacer and shocks (I also preset them to .85) . It raised the front nicely, the driver side front now sits at 35 4/16" and passenger front is at 35. 9/16" (full of fuel measurement). Even with the lean spacer its just 1/16 low o just about even up front now. I'm glad I stayed at the .85 setting on the front shock absorbers. I think even on the lowest stock setting it would have raised the vehicle because the Bilstien's shocks are longer than the factory shocks. Since the TSB is in hodge podge state and new rear springs made a zero increase (in height). The truck is completely level now with no rake. My intention was to put the 5100s on the front to compensate for the 1" rear 4 leaf pack lift. Hopefully once this is straightened out the truck will have a slight rake gain.

No alignment changes were performed at time of TSB, they actually forgot to do an alignment, when I picked it up I requested the supposedly included TSB 4-wheel alignment, no service advisors were there (it was after 5pm) The porter pulled it forward (in the service bay), clipped on the electronic hubs to all 4 wheels and hit Print! Within 45 seconds a $99 alignment was performed, she gave me the printed page and said if it were out of alignment it would flash red. Ohh brother... Not the alignment I imagined or like the TSB pages described.
The reason for going back to the same place is that they already got paid for the job.
Do what I said in my prev post. Also the alignment is REQUIRED after the replacement.
I just don't get it. It's not a complicated tsb. I've done a few (including mine) and it's not rocket science.
From what you described they did a rolling check on the alignment.
It's a POS unit. We get the salesman in the shop once a year trying to sell us one and it's never close at all. It shows green on floor it's red on the machine. And yes our machine is calibrated often.
Sorry for your troubles.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Yes I did, the dealer is saying the part numbers now installed - Spring Assy FR LH 48210-35A40 - Spring Assy LH 48220-35040 are the new and Improved springs that old go on a new truck that doesn't qualify.

They said my VN disqualified my truck (model code) altogether from being a vin candidate, i told them well of course the last revision TSB is for December 2010 and my truck was custom factory build which started in March 2011... Thy said a TSB for your vehicle has not yet been produced, I reminded them the 2011 Non-TRD Tacoma Prerunner Double cab is shown specifically in the document as well as the remedy procedure and part numbers.

...and here we go are again, "your Vin doesn't qualify". My reply is then why did you do it in the first place, why would you put another 3-leaf pack in not accordance with the TSB? Now, I'm starting to get more info finally, there are no Parts in the country made and in stock to fit the TSB (which I'm sure is the 4 leaf pack), they said even if there were they wont fit your truck if they use the model code from the VN. they need to further discuss with serv mgr and reg parts mgr, although wanted me to understand the parts are not in te country so they couldn't do t even if they get the aok.

This is the reason I was asking for the part numbers from somebody itch this exact make model truck 2.7 Prerunner SR5, Double non-TRD whose had the TSB... If I had the numbers I could confirm working parts on similar truck.

The stencil is painted on the backside of spring and there are two stickers on the top, you don't have to take your wheel off to see either. I only know of two (same yr/model) vehicles that had this done.

Part numbers would be great.

Now the Front End. They I'd put they Bilstein 5100's on the front and the Toy-Tec 1/4" driver lean spacer in, the shocks are set to .85" and it raised the front of the vehicle to 1.25" on both sides, looks good rides good, steers straight even though they forgot to do an alignment during the leaf TSB. They charged me $375 labor for the front shock install which I supplied.parts. Thought that was kinda high labor only.

The truck looks cool high in the front being high, the front sits a tad higher than in the rear, if the dealer doesn't pull off the TSB, I may consider dropping to stock height on the 5100's. A slight rack from the rear forward looks good, the rake going the other way looks a little odd. I guess you could say itvabout level but the front is slightly higher. I have accurate before and after measurements for each wheel for times like this.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Find a different dealership.

The TSB is not a recall, and if the truck's VIN does not fall within the range of the TSB, it does not mean that the TSB's remedy won't apply to the truck.

The TSB is simple an aid to the service department indicating that if a customer complains about a specific problem, Toyota believes that they have a remedy.

You are complaining about a specific problem, that was reported and supposedly repaired by a TSB on a prior year truck. That same repair would also apply to your truck and could be billed as normal warranty work.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Toyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacerttech is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Toyotacerttech's Tacoma Gallery
Part numbers on springs will Not match Tsb part numbers due to part numbers superseding.