Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Buying an access cab 2.7l

Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
texascolt45 will become famous soon enough
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
i love my 09 prerunner 5 speed but i think they quit offering a 5 speed prerunner.i hope to get 300,000 on mine.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
veprmike is on a distinguished road
veprmike's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice!!! Sorry first post.Im a month or 2 away from a 2014 2.7 tacoma 4x4 manual.Im on the fence between the standard or access cab.Is the access cab ok off road? Anyone actually use their's off road? The ac is only about 265lbs heavier than the standard think that's any difference? I like the idea of the ac a lil more freedom in the truck n like bucket seats also.Any advise?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
BlueBomber is on a distinguished road

Name: Luke
BlueBomber's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprmike View Post
Need advice!!! Sorry first post.Im a month or 2 away from a 2014 2.7 tacoma 4x4 manual.Im on the fence between the standard or access cab.Is the access cab ok off road? Anyone actually use their's off road? The ac is only about 265lbs heavier than the standard think that's any difference? I like the idea of the ac a lil more freedom in the truck n like bucket seats also.Any advise?
I haven't had a chance to take mine off road yet, sadly...BUT I can't imagine a world where I'd trade a very marginal difference off road for the convenience of the access cab. I see tons of double cab trucks on here that go through some pretty mean sh&* so I imagine our AC trucks should be just fine.
Besides that if you're going to be doing some serious wheeling, that'll be the last thing on your mind vs. a lift, locker, better tires, etc...

To the OP, just go 4x4, better to have it and not need it...etc. I've got a 2.7l AC 4x4 5-speed and it's pretty much the perfect little truck. Wouldn't buy anything different if I could go back.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
I haven't had a chance to take mine off road yet, sadly...BUT I can't imagine a world where I'd trade a very marginal difference off road for the convenience of the access cab. I see tons of double cab trucks on here that go through some pretty mean sh&* so I imagine our AC trucks should be just fine.
Besides that if you're going to be doing some serious wheeling, that'll be the last thing on your mind vs. a lift, locker, better tires, etc...

To the OP, just go 4x4, better to have it and not need it...etc. I've got a 2.7l AC 4x4 5-speed and it's pretty much the perfect little truck. Wouldn't buy anything different if I could go back.
Thanks for the response. Yeah ive seen a few ac cab 2.7l tacomas on youtube going off road . just checking in with the longer term users like yourself. I was actually considering a jeep patriot 4x4 lol but the tacoma is way more off road capable. Im big into shooting sports and range time n that ac cab is lookin more appealing everyday . Some place to transport the the rifles n ammo, steel targets in the bed
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 4x4 access cab with a 5 speed, never any issues here. The clutch has developed an annoying squeak from time to time but I always got the music blaring so never notice it. I went to the dealer about the clutch and they wanted $700 to replace the squeaky clutch pedal so I just decided to live with it. I've driven my truck all over the past 3 years, all over Montana, Wyoming, and it's made trips across the country and back twice. Never let me down and it has around 50k on it now.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I have a 2011 4x4 access cab with a 5 speed, never any issues here. The clutch has developed an annoying squeak from time to time but I always got the music blaring so never notice it. I went to the dealer about the clutch and they wanted $700 to replace the squeaky clutch pedal so I just decided to live with it. I've driven my truck all over the past 3 years, all over Montana, Wyoming, and it's made trips across the country and back twice. Never let me down and it has around 50k on it now.
Nice! Obviously a 2.7? Yeah the only complaints ive heard are the squiky clutch and a lil thin on the body work.May I ask what you think on the thinness of the sheet metal? I just think people are nit picking.Also is the rust issues a thing of the past?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
$700 and then it will squeak again after a few k miles . It's just needs lube
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprmike View Post
In my opinion, the 2.7 Tacoma 4x4 is underpowered, the heavier Access Cab having the single worst power-to-weight ratio of any vehicle offered in the Toyota lineup, worse than the Prius and Scion iQ. Test drive a 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 at the dealer and make sure the power level is acceptable to you.

Off road, the extra 16" or so of extra wheelbase can reduce clearance slightly when cresting some sharp hills, but it isn't as important as the other reasons (interior room, option package availability).
Old 03-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
In my opinion, the 2.7 Tacoma 4x4 is underpowered, the heavier Access Cab having the single worst power-to-weight ratio of any vehicle offered in the Toyota lineup, worse than the Prius and Scion iQ. Test drive a 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 at the dealer and make sure the power level is acceptable to you.

Off road, the extra 16" or so of extra wheelbase can reduce clearance slightly when cresting some sharp hills, but it isn't as important as the other reasons (interior room, option package availability).
Yeah definitely gonna test drive. Im not really concerned with raw power just curious if it'll get err done . mainly gonna be a daily driver, get me thru the shitty winters and off road a few times a year.By off road I mean im no rock crawler, definitely not looking to tear up anew Tacoma either.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #30
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Off-road, power isn't as big an issue, because you have low-range available. Things like merging and passing on highways are where the low power is felt.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #31
Just wondering if the rust issues are resolved on the newer tacomas?