Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

what cold air intake do you have?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
jrw100990 is on a distinguished road

jrw100990's Tacoma Gallery
what cold air intake do you have?

Been thinking about getting a cold air intake because i like the noise so dont post about not getting any power from it...which did you pick and has it given you any problems..i have read on here the volant intake with scoop will make you run lean because a smaller diamater tube and causes the air to flow through faster or something..ive been leaning towards this intake but i dont want to get it if its going to cause problems
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
So far I like the stock cold air intake. But if I get one, it'll likely be an Injen.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
TRD second gen intake, got for more flow since in supercharged, but heard this one has flow issues which might make me lean towards an AFE stage 2 si which is identical to the first gen TRD intake
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled the trigger on an Injen today.
It has no lean issues.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Do that classify that as a cold air intake or just an intake?

Edit: TRD First Gen for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
K&N CAI, my damn cel won't go away , pulling the code for the MAF sensor and it's slugging my taco like crazy...about to throw the piece of crap away
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
^^^ Do that classify that as a cold air intake or just an intake?

Edit: TRD First Gen for me.
Just an intake although the filter is next to the fender well hole. I don't think that a cold air intake makes much difference when the truck is moving.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
K&N CAI, my damn cel won't go away , pulling the code for the MAF sensor and it's slugging my taco like crazy...about to throw the piece of crap away
Did residue from the oily filter foul your MAF sensor?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
tacowagon is on a distinguished road

tacowagon's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the volant. I swapped back to my stock air box and afe filter cause the volant was too loud with the resonator removed. After two long trips, I lost 2-3 mpg's with the stock box. Needless to say, the volant is back in.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Did residue from the oily filter foul your MAF sensor?
Nope clean as a whistle
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I thought the stock intake was noisy enough! There are days I miss that tube intake harmony though.

That volant looks nice. Personally I'd find an AEM dryflow or equivalent oil-free cone filter to put on it just so I wouldn't have to worry about the MAF sensor.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N intake filter. It was on the vehicle when I got it from the dealer as a certified used.

I'd almost recommend sticking with OEM as they'll service it for you when you go for it. There's a baffle inside the passenger fender that looks to be many times more restrictive than the intake.

They see the K&N sticker, and I think they throw their hands up.

I've never had a CEL from it.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #15
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
TRD second gen intake, got for more flow since in supercharged, but heard this one has flow issues which might make me lean towards an AFE stage 2 si which is identical to the first gen TRD intake
it has flow issues for some, because its made for the tacoma and FJ, and when using it in a tacoma, if installed correctly, the plastic tubing needs to be cut. there is even a line marking where to cut it. the people who dont install it correctly, get issues.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
de6w6it is on a distinguished road

Name: DeWitt
de6w6it's Tacoma Gallery
My truck had a K&N CAI on it when I bought it, and I have no CEL's or other issues with it. Since it is all I have experienced, I can't really comment on comparison to stock or other CAI's. I am planning on changing the actual filter part of it from an oiled K&N unit to a dry AFE unit of the same size. I want to avoid any possible issues with the oil.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
That may be because of a well thought out design...

When air changes direction upward to enter the scoop which is above the overhanging edge of the hood, the inertia of heavy water droplets likely keeps them going in a straight line and missing the opening.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
it has flow issues for some, because its made for the tacoma and FJ, and when using it in a tacoma, if installed correctly, the plastic tubing needs to be cut. there is even a line marking where to cut it. the people who dont install it correctly, get issues.
That's news to me, thanks for the info but its a little to late to read your reply lol

Got ahold of a second hand AFE intake lol