Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Radiator Overflow Tank

Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Radiator Overflow Tank

My coolant level sets about 1/2 inch above the low level when completely cooled off. I have never paid any attention to it before so I am not sure how full it was 38K miles ago when I bought it. Is it normal to lose a little over time? I notice there is no clamp or anything around the hose that runs from the radiator to the tank and there was a bit of dried coolant around that hose where it meets the nipple on the overflow tank.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly how my 2006 has always been... just above the low mark when cold and maybe between low and hot/full marks on the hottest Sacramento summer days. I also have a small bit of the white crusty dried coolant around the hose at the overflow tank. Pretty sure this is all normal, don't worry. You can check your radiator level when it's cold, remove the cap and the coolant should be maybe 1/2-3/4" below the filler neck. The level comes up when it gets hot and you really don't want to open it when hot. The overflow tank catches any coolant that the system pushes out when it really heats up, then the system sucks it back in when it cools off. I rarely open the radiator cap but I check the overflow whenever the hood is up. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it does, it's quite possible it has been at the level all along I have just never paid it any attention. If that is where your level has been since 2006 sounds good to me.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
gonna be a long ride
09sr5 is on a distinguished road

09sr5's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same way . 60k miles
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Mine when cold is about and inch or so low too. I am about 5 years in service with this truck. Minimal loss based on time frame. I did also notice a little seepage, which a zip tie solved that...