Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Random Power Loss.. Redux

Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Random Power Loss.. Redux

Having the infamous 2TRFE "Random Power Loss".

Used to have it very rarely, now it's happening 4 or more times throughout an hour drive. WTF.

Noticed it's only happening around 2000 RPMs, only when climbing a grade, and only when accelerating. It's really starting to bother me; even more so if it's a looming issue in the throttle position sensor.. can't have a truck shit the bed when I'm 50 miles into a National Forest.

Nothing that I can address for the immediate future, will deal with it/investigate some more when I'm back from the Bering Sea in July.

Any suggestions? Doesn't seem as though there were any definitive causes/suggestions out of the 1,000 other threads.

My thoughts are pointing to fuel filter/pump.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-randomly.html

I'm thinking partially clogged fuel pump myself
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's what I'm thinking.

What's strange is that it happens at all levels of gas. Full - 1/2 full, etc.

I'm thinking that hills are forcing the fuel pump to work harder; the clogged filter is causing a momentary lapse in fuel supply.

Let's keep this going, appreciate the real advice.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
That's what I'm thinking.

What's strange is that it happens at all levels of gas. Full - 1/2 full, etc.

I'm thinking that hills are forcing the fuel pump to work harder; the clogged filter is causing a momentary lapse in fuel supply.

Let's keep this going, appreciate the real advice.
I agree, mine always happens under load especially pulling hills, 3/4 or half tank doesnt matter, i think your right about fuel pressure not keeping up and the engine leans out.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I knew. My 4.0L six speed was doing that occasionally. It would feel like it had a carburetor with jets 3 sizes too small for a few seconds and return to normal again. I was suspecting intermittent fuel pump issues too, although far less often that yours - maybe once every couple months. Still, it was a factor in my decision to get rid of it.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #6

Right on! Wow, was not expecting this amount of hits so soon...

iroh - Yup, that's EXACTLY what it feels like. I know my FJ60 with a Weber Carb would have the identical feeling sometimes. Used to only take a second to clear itself, today it happened 4 times in a row.

Really like the usability/serviceability of that URD kit. I know, not a great analogy - but we've got 3 sets of filters and a centrifuge just to clean diesel on the boat that I work on..
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Urd fuel pump kit is next on my mod list
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have never experienced, or heard of anything like this and I drive the piss outta my truck...are you guys manual trannys?

Try unplugging the MAF when this stuff starts happening and running/driving the truck. The truck should run with the MAF unplugged in limp mode, I know Blazers will. Probably set a light, but it's very easy to tell if the truck runs better or not.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #9

Up until now it's just been a kind of, "Wow, that's annoying".

Last few days it's turned into, "This sucks, can't merge onto the highway, hope the truck doesn't die going up this mountain pass in the middle of a national forest...".

Still thinking fuel, mainly because of the only on an incline factor.

Definitely don't think it's a "mis-adjusted brake switch".
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Up until now it's just been a kind of, "Wow, that's annoying".

Last few days it's turned into, "This sucks, can't merge onto the highway, hope the truck doesn't die going up this mountain pass in the middle of a national forest...".

Still thinking fuel, mainly because of the only on an incline factor.

Definitely don't think it's a "mis-adjusted brake switch".
Give what I posted above a shot. Try unplugging the MAF when it starts happening, drive, see if the truck runs better. Won't hurt anything other than popping the CEL.

Definetly interested in helping figure this one out. My shop is the shop where other shops send their cars cause they can't figure out the problems.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #11

Pretty sure it's the brake pedal position sensor...

I say this because while heading to the trailhead this morning, the truck behind me was watching my break lights come on exactly when the deceleration would start. Odd, because when I press on the brakes and gas at the same time, there is no speed change.

Hoping it's that much of an easy fix.

Will keep everyone in the loop; not going to mess with this one until I'm home again in a month or so.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Quote:
Pretty sure it's the brake pedal position sensor...

I say this because while heading to the trailhead this morning, the truck behind me was watching my break lights come on exactly when the deceleration would start. Odd, because when I press on the brakes and gas at the same time, there is no speed change.

Hoping it's that much of an easy fix.

Will keep everyone in the loop; not going to mess with this one until I'm home again in a month or so.
Keep me posted!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #13

Brake pedal position switch...! I'll elaborate later.