Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Taco to FJ, or Turbo the Taco?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
LEDobsession is on a distinguished road

LEDobsession's Tacoma Gallery
Taco to FJ, or Turbo the Taco?

Hey all,
I'm new to tacomaworld, but not to forums or the tacoma.

I've been looking into selling my white 2000 2.7L auto SR5 ext. cab (access or double?) and thinking about getting an 07 FJ Cruiser. I love my Tacoma, but what I don't love about it is that it's gutless (I live in Northern Utah, in the mountains) and thirsty. I feel that a 4 cylinder tacoma should get better than 3 mpg more than the Sierra Denali that I used to have, but it does not. I average about 15-18 around town (my Denali got 13-16 city).

So my question is, is there some decent mods that can be done without pulling the motor, changing bore & stroke, swapping cams, adding headers, giving RedBull to the Gerbils, etc..? I was aware that there is a TRD supercharger for the V6, but not so sure about one for the 2.7. The Turbo is also another option, but my budget is limited (I'd entertain the idea though). I'm just thinking of how Subaru pumps out the ponies on their STI's and that there should be some way of making the 2.7 Taco feel a little better. I'm sure that some intake work and exhaust will do some work, but probably not what I want after being accustomed to 6 liters worth of power.

I do love the FJ Cruiser and am still seriously considering it, if I can sell the Taco. I have had it posted on KSL's Classifieds (similar to, but better than, Craigslist in the Utah area) but have had no interest in it in some time (I'm asking a decent price for it, I feel). I don't really have the need for a truck so much any more after selling my dirtbikes and ATV's, and the FJ would fit my needs a little bit more (plus they look awesome and are great offroad). And of course, my LED light bars move to the new vehicle. The FJ also has a great roof rack for when I get my own LED light bars ready for production.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
FJ will blow your mind. Sell the tacoma on TW
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
get the FJ. if you dont, youll kick your ass for not doing it.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
Sell the tacoma on TW
On here? Is there a sub-category for selling?

I want the FJ so bad!!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDobsession View Post
On here? Is there a sub-category for selling?
Nevermind, I just found it. I'll put it up here soon.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2007 tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: LEEEEEEROOOYYY JENKINS!
2007 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It looks as though you've been answering your own question all along.

Maybe consider a Tundra or newer Tacoma 4.0 if you want to stick with a truck? Mileage will never be better though. Gas is never going to be cheaper. So test drive all of them. Even the current 2.7L. Maybe the VVT-i is what you're looking for. Make sure you're going to be happy with your decision over the long haul.

If the mileage is an issue recently then treat that separately with engine tuning or looking into less rolling weight tires with less rolling resistance.

If you think you'd want to keep your Tacoma, consider a supercharger. I think you have a 3rz-fe engine?

http://www.lceperformance.com/Superc...-p/7015200.htm

There seems to be several forced induction options for a 3rz-fe. I only looked quickly. An internet search mentioned there was a TRD option, but their website didn't seem to offer it anymore. You could call TRD as they may still have it just not market it.

Personally I really love the look of the 2000 models. I looked at the pictures you have and your truck is really nice. You need to be happy though, and you'll kick yourself for not getting the FJ so go for it. Make sure it has a sturdy hitch and you have access to a decent trailer. You never know when you'll need to haul something, and you won't have the truck bed any longer.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Warhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of lightWarhawk is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Veteran
Warhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I used to live in Utah, don't see many 2WD trucks up there and they are a tough sell.

I have also owned an FJ, loved it in almost every way. One thing the FJ is NOT is gutless, lots of torque. The only commplaint I had was that near vertical windshield really caught the bugs, and I heard of lots of broken windshields, but I lucked out on that. I was driving a LOT for work and the FJ's mileage was killing me (17 unless I really babied it). Now I have a '10 access cab 5 lug, 2.7L auto and get 25-28 mpg on the highway.