Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Rear brakes

Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
catrailrider is on a distinguished road
catrailrider's Tacoma Gallery
Rear brakes

I've got drum brakes on my '95 and they never self-adjust. Every once in a while I have to adjust them out so I can rear brakes. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
should adjust by going in reverse

roll backward

engage e-brake

repeat.

this should click them back each time until they are pretty much
'no clicks left' and are adjusted

------------
this assumes: good cable, housing, bell cranks are clean
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
They could be locked up/seized.

Never did it on a tacoma - but on an old Dana 44 axle, I replaced the adjuster and the entire spring assembly.

Again, I'm thinking Jeep here.... but I actually took my adjusters off to clean them and discovered they were all rusted up. You could try cleaning & lubing them???
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Well I blast them with brake cleaner and put a dab of caliper grease so I always thought I was doing good. I'll try the roll back/e-brake method next time
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Rolling back and hitting the e-brake will pull the lever up onto the tooth of the star wheel adjuster, but it won't turn the adjuster. You have to drive forward and hit the main brakes to actually turn the adjuster. So the whole self-adjustment process goes like this: drive backward, hit the e-brake and stop, release the e-brake, drive forward and hit the main brake and stop. Repeat.

The rear drums on my 2006 will self-adjust by using the e-brake in the forward direction, and it's pretty effective because the main pedal firms up higher right away.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Ok thanks for the info. Will definitely try it next time
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
They only self adjust to the extent of keeping you from losing rear brakes from lack of adjustment if you feel the pedal is low it will have to be done manually.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Something else just for the hell of it....

Take a look at your drum shoes. Are they wearing evenly (pad thickness) from top to bottom?

When my jeep adjusters were seized up, I was getting less wear at the adjuster end (bottom) and more wear at the opposite end by like 1/8".