Notices

1st try, no click, 2nd try stalls, 3rd try starts

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
1st try, no click, 2nd try stalls, 3rd try starts

Once in a while my truck won't start.
No click, no nothing.
I then retry start and it starts but sometimes stall out.
On the third try it starts.
This happens once in about 10 starts.

I have replaced starter and battery.

Leaking fuel system? Losing pressure?

No click means bad electrical? switch?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Looks like you have a 2wd. If you have a 4x4, I would say try it with the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch to rule out the clutch safety switch. Sounds to me like it's either that or the ignition switch in the column. That's where I'd start...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like 3rd times the charm.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I'm leaning towards a loose connection somewhere.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
Looks like you have a 2wd. If you have a 4x4, I would say try it with the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch to rule out the clutch safety switch. Sounds to me like it's either that or the ignition switch in the column. That's where I'd start...

I have the 2wd 5 speed manual.
So there is no clutch cancel button/switch? But there still could be a clutch cancel safety feature?

I am leaning towards the ignition switch?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
The only 2wd to have a "Clutch Start Cancel" switch is a Prerunner Off Road, I think. All the manual transmission ones have a clutch safety switch, though. It's the one that won't let you start it unless the pedal is all the way to the floor. 3/4 of the way down, and nothing... But it definitely is an electrical problem
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Can you flood the engine with a fuel injected engine? My old Datsun used to be finicky, but we're talking 1970s techno...
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #8

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Can you flood the engine with a fuel injected engine? My old Datsun used to be finicky, but we're talking 1970s techno...
Absolutely. When you turn the key to start on a cold engine, the fuel injectors "batch fire"- they all fire at once until the ECU reads that the RPM is >400, then they fire sequentially depending on which cylinder is next firing-order wise. In cold climates, trying to start an engine that has sat all day/overnight and letting the key go before it actually catches will flood it nearly every time.
To clear a flooded engine on a fuel injected vehicle, only hold the throttle open halfway, not to the floor like a carburator.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
^ that's not how it works in a tacoma but you can think it works this way in fantasy land

his symptoms are between:

key-battery-starter-crankshaft position sensor-engine immobilizer

if it were fuel-related the engine would always turn over...he states sometimes -nothing- happens on key turn
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #10

WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
^ that's not how it works in a tacoma but you can think it works this way in fantasy land

if it were fuel-related the engine would always turn over...he states sometimes -nothing- happens on key turn
His isn't fuel related. Someone else asked the fuel question. I think you're probably right about the engine immobilizer, though.
Perhaps you could correct me about what goes on with the fuel injectors in these trucks? The info I gave may be out of date, so if you know better I'm all eyes. The tech stuff always interests me...
Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
His isn't fuel related. Someone else asked the fuel question. I think you're probably right about the engine immobilizer, though.
Perhaps you could correct me about what goes on with the fuel injectors in these trucks? The info I gave may be out of date, so if you know better I'm all eyes. The tech stuff always interests me...
IIRC...it is always sequential,
no batch fire system used by toyota
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Quote:
The only 2wd to have a "Clutch Start Cancel" switch is a Prerunner Off Road, I think. All the manual transmission ones have a clutch safety switch, though. It's the one that won't let you start it unless the pedal is all the way to the floor. 3/4 of the way down, and nothing... But it definitely is an electrical problem
Going to check on the clutch safety switch. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

That makes sense.
Battery and starter taken care of.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Quote:
Engine immobilizer? I will try starting with the spare key. Never thought about that.

Thank you!!!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Switched keys and no problems for almost 3 weeks. Perhaps it was the Engine immobilizer.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Quote:
Glad it was a simple fix!
Simple after about $300 on starter and battery!!