Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Terrible Gas Mileage on Brand New 4-cylinder Automatic

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #61
Older Guy
Smardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the rough
Name: Galen
Smardt Turbocor's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased a used 1996 Tacoma extra cab with a five speed manuel and 3.4 lit V-6 It needs basic maintenance, but runs just fine. I was surprised that the tires tolerate up to 44 lbs pressure as stated on the tire. I dropped them from 50 lbs to about 37 right now. I may boost them slightly. I shift early, and even skip gears to get into fifth as soon as possible. I love this engine. It is strong even down to 30 -35 mph. At 35 mph I drive it like an automatic. I do not need the 4 liter. I get 26 - 27 mpg and have even gotten 29 mpg. I rarely drive above 62 mpg and slower if conditions permit. I don't know about the engine design on the fours, but this one has four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshaft and I AM IMPRESSED with this older motor! Want gas mileage ? Four valves per cylinder = efficiency, especially at 1900 - 2100 rpm's, fewer cubic inches = more gas mileage.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #62
Older Guy
Smardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the roughSmardt Turbocor is a jewel in the rough
Name: Galen
Smardt Turbocor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
Absolutely correct. Each truck (2wd or 4wd) has its applications. It just depends upon what reasons a person needs a truck.

Excuse my ignorance but one thing I've never really understood though is why 2wd gets, or should get, better mpg than a 4wd. I mean when the 4wd is not engaged why shouldn't it get the same mpg as a 2wd? Help me out brothers....
===========

I have two suggestions. First, even when "free wheeling" you still have friction loss. Second, four wheel drive is more complicated. You have more pieces like a front driveline including Constant velocity (cv) joints. That adds weight. Rear wheel drive does not need a three hundred lb transfer case (or whatever it weighs)

In recent years manufacturers have switched to lighter aluminum cases. Before 1970 most transfer cases were CAST IRON, very strong and twice the weight of aluminum. So guess what happens when you start to carry around a lot of extra weight ?

And remember it is one thing to drive 4 wheel drive quietly on a smooth road, but once you try wringing it out in the field or desert, you are no longer cruising quietly on the highway at 40 mph. You are typically revving it up in lower (less efficient) gears and THAT uses more fuel. Sand and loose dirt and mud increase friction !!!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #63
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
It may say it gets better gas mileage than the V6, but remember, you got the PreRunner which I believe adds the chunckier tires so that relates to more rolling resistance which will drop fuel economy. Also, gas mileages are never what the EPA rates them at.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #64
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA ItsNotOva View Post
It may say it gets better gas mileage than the V6, but remember, you got the PreRunner which I believe adds the chunckier tires so that relates to more rolling resistance which will drop fuel economy. Also, gas mileages are never what the EPA rates them at.
Drive 55-65 and anyone can beat the EPA all day long with most vehicles.

Yet the PreRunner is rated the same as a regular cab 5-lug, and will not achieve anything like a 5-lug that weighs 500lbs less, sits 4 inches lower, and sports 215 passenger tires.

Driven the same the I4 will get better than the V6, but not as much as Toyota claims.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #65
BchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant futureBchLVers has a brilliant future

Name: Randy
BchLVers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to BchLVers
Your Gas Mileage will get better. 2012 SR5 PreRunner Double Cab 4Cyl with 17,900 miles on it now and consistently over 20
Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #66
rgardine2000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
rgardine2000's Tacoma Gallery
Hope the MPG gets better

I have heard from a number of sources that gas mileage went up after 15k+ miles. I certainly hope that is true. I am only at about 6k right now and am still averaging only about 17 mpg with the 2013 SR5 PreRunner 2.7L. You said you are now averagine over 20 with 17k+ miles. What were you averaging in the first 10K miles??
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #67
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
OP
If max fuel economy is true goal, get yourself a ultragauge or scangague. This will tell you when you are driving efficiently and when you are not. The Ultragauge is $70 right now. It is a great device for the money.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #68
peteacher13 is on a distinguished road

peteacher13's Tacoma Gallery
I am at 8500 miles and I have been getting pretty consistent 21-22 mpg. My worst tank was 18 and that was towing a 15 foot aluminum boat on a pretty windy/hilly highway.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #69
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardine2000 View Post
I have heard from a number of sources that gas mileage went up after 15k+ miles. I certainly hope that is true. I am only at about 6k right now and am still averaging only about 17 mpg with the 2013 SR5 PreRunner 2.7L. You said you are now averagine over 20 with 17k+ miles. What were you averaging in the first 10K miles??

mine is older 2010 but my gas mileage did not go up after 15k miles.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #70
merlin3 is on a distinguished road
merlin3's Tacoma Gallery
poor gas mileage

my 2003 4 cyl. got 14 mpg same as my brothers 2007 v8 tundra 4dr 4x4.now have a 2012 cyl 4x4 reg.cab auto.with 9800 miles on it i am getting 17 mpg.3 mile drive to work with no hills.my company truck is a 2013 fi50 v6 auto 4x4 long bed that truck is getting 16 mpg with 40 miles on it.hard to believe with all this modern technology a 4cylinder toyota truck only gets 17 mpg.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #71
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3 View Post
my 2003 4 cyl. got 14 mpg same as my brothers 2007 v8 tundra 4dr 4x4.now have a 2012 cyl 4x4 reg.cab auto.with 9800 miles on it i am getting 17 mpg.3 mile drive to work with no hills.my company truck is a 2013 fi50 v6 auto 4x4 long bed that truck is getting 16 mpg with 40 miles on it.hard to believe with all this modern technology a 4cylinder toyota truck only gets 17 mpg.
Could be troll bait, but I'll bite.

It sounds like that modern technology got an extra 3mpg for you. Probably driving the same roads/conditions, which is quite impressive. The engine has no chance to heat up in 3 miles to efficiently burn fuel. Taking short trips is very hard on the engine (especially new) and I would expect the mileage you are seeing. You are also getting the sticker rating for city as well which it sounds like you are doing here.

If you say you get 17mpg and go 3 miles to work it would take you about 3 days to use a gallon of gas. Just going to work it would be almost 2 months to run out of fuel! I wish I had that problem. Take it for some longer highway runs varying the engine speed. It mentions this in the manual. Good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #72
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 2.7 4x4. I get around 15-16 in the city (short, stop and go commute) and 26-27 even 28 mpg on a 500 mile round trip to where I'm from ( mostly 55- 72 mph). Mine has 1900 miles. My first half tank I got 14 mpg.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #73
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
OP
If max fuel economy is true goal, get yourself a ultragauge or scangague. This will tell you when you are driving efficiently and when you are not. The Ultragauge is $70 right now. It is a great device for the money.
That does help. I'm always watching mine. I got mine on the group buy here.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #74
BayRanger is on a distinguished road

Name: T
BayRanger's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty low

I drive balls to the wall and get 19-21 mpg on my 2012 PreRunner DC i4 with trifold bed cover on it. I've never gotten over 22 mpg even when I try to baby it. My mileage has remained about the same for 30k miles now. I've tried 93 octane fuel also. No difference. Same goes with ethanol-free gas. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm getting 19-21 mpg no matter what I do. Which I'm OK with.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #75
Mex713 is on a distinguished road

Name: samuel
Mex713's Tacoma Gallery
will i have a 4door 4cyl prerunner and i get about 17mpg but thats because i do drive more on the aggressive side. usually drive 70-90mph on the hwy but when i first got my truck i drove more calm, and still got about 17mpg but i would never go faster then 75 and wouldnt rev the engine higher then 2500rpm while driving. and i live here in houston which is relatively flat with the exception of the highway going up and down alot
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #76
Enid is on a distinguished road
Name: Victor
Enid's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation 4Cylinder mpg

Just got a 2014 and same issue. First tank was under 18mpg. 3,500 all highway and best was 22 but average around 20. Almost as bad is it is really underpowered. I have been driving a Toyota RAV4 for six months with 23,000 miles and I loved it. Good power avg 30mpg from the start and the engine is smaller than the new truck.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #77
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid View Post
Just got a 2014 and same issue. First tank was under 18mpg. 3,500 all highway and best was 22 but average around 20. Almost as bad is it is really underpowered. I have been driving a Toyota RAV4 for six months with 23,000 miles and I loved it. Good power avg 30mpg from the start and the engine is smaller than the new truck.
Completely different vehicle. More HP and similar torque specs then the I4 Tacoma all on a FWD/AWD side mounted crossover platform. Rav4 is about 600 to 400 lbs lighter depending on configuration. I always wondered how during the test drives and doing the research people don't notice this? No engine/drive-train changes on these trucks since 2005. Rav4 has had two increases in HP and engines during that time-frame.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #78
Enid is on a distinguished road
Name: Victor
Enid's Tacoma Gallery
I assume all above have the 2.7 4 cylinder. That is what my 2014 has, three weeks old, 3,500 miles. Avg MPG is less than 20. As for the noise all highway avg speed around 60 from Oklahoma to Canada via Nebraska, SD, ND and back through Denver and Kansas. Only one tank was barely over 22.

If I can get a 6 cylinder that will average 20 mpg seems like it would be worth the swap.

4 cylinder is seriously under powered compared to the 4 cylinder Toyota Rav4 that I have got in April and have 22,000 mile on.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #79

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enid View Post
I assume all above have the 2.7 4 cylinder. That is what my 2014 has, three weeks old, 3,500 miles. Avg MPG is less than 20. As for the noise all highway avg speed around 60 from Oklahoma to Canada via Nebraska, SD, ND and back through Denver and Kansas. Only one tank was barely over 22.

If I can get a 6 cylinder that will average 20 mpg seems like it would be worth the swap.

4 cylinder is seriously under powered compared to the 4 cylinder Toyota Rav4 that I have got in April and have 22,000 mile on.
This seems to be a hilly route, so the V6 would fair well. I think people average 17-20 in the V6 which isn't that much of a loss. People should not be buying the 4 cyl to save much gas, but to save on purchase price. I saved about $6k over the v6 with the options I wanted, so for me this worked out best. A new full size can do 18-20mpg if you are looking for a quiet ride and that as well.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #80
cdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud ofcdowling has much to be proud of
Name: Chris
cdowling's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
horrible gas mileage stories are 'just noise' unless you
post driving conditions, speed, hills, tires installed...all the details

if you have

stock tires at stock pressures
and go 55 mph and
are not heavy on the gas
and not loaded with cargo
and using 87 octane with 15 percent or less ethanol
and not cliimbing hills all day long

you will easily beat 22mpg

better yet get a scangauge and watch how your driving habits and right foot affect mileage

I can get 24mpg from my 6cyl Tacoma all day long, or I can get 14mpg...it all
depends on where I drive and how I command the inputs. I average 17 around town
and 20.8 on highway
This.